Getting Back After a Long Hiatus: How do You Find Your Motiv

Options
I've been away from MFP (and my weight loss goals) for a good long while - several months. I had a number of problems that became so overwhelming I just gave up for a while - now this was after a 40 lb loss!

So now, after resolving several problems (financial, health problems for family member & other stuff), I've been finding it really hard to get back. I decided to start praying for myself (easy for me to pray for others - sometimes I forget that hey, I can ask God for help for me, too). Specifically to get my interest back to losing weight, exercising - man, I even stopped walking my dogs, something I rarely did (or should I say, *didn't* do!) in the past.... so I've been praying to get that motivation back.

We didn't have heat until about 2 wks before Christmas (hooray for fuel assistance & hooray for my general frugality!), and I think my less body-padding has attributed to my new-found aversion to the cold here in the Northeast.... but I knew that I need to move around to feel warm - so why was it taking me so long to get off my butt?

Anyway, when I was at the bus station I saw a message warning about foxes & coyotes that have been getting local cats & dogs!!! OMG - I've been letting my dogs out the backyard (my littlest dog is the size of a pomeranian).

So there's my inspiration to start our walks again!

Now my eating patterns aren't back at the great level as before - yet (I shop by bus, subway, & it's a pain - literal - lugging groceries back sometimes), but I'm trying.

I'm wondering about others who have stopped MFP & have gotten back - what are your thoughts? I need to get back to this for my health (I'm no spring chicken anymore!) - but also - my youngest is getting married - MARRIED!! - in March, and I want to look - and feel - great for this fantastic occasion. I need to get all the enthusiasm I can!!

Replies

• CrazybeeRX
    CrazybeeRX Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to get back on track. I've used MFP for 2 yrs now. I Lost 34lbs the first year then got burnt out on logging my food so I stopped and I managed to keep 22 lbs off and then last year I started again in January and lost 35 lbs in 3 months then stopped again after getting bored with logging my food. I've gained all but 10lbs back. SO I've only kept 30lbs off total but that is better than nothing. I know if I log my food this works, but I get tired of it and stop logging then I start gaining again.

I started again on New Years and my daughter in law (Ashley) who lives with me is on it too and it helps that we are doing this together. I set my ticker back to 0 and will see how far I get this year. I really am not feeling the motivation I did last year at this time. But I really want to lose. I wish I was feeling it though. I am glad I have Ashley to keep me going right now.

I walk on both my breaks at work. So I get two 15 minute walks a day. I love them. I get upset when I miss them because of weather or being busy. I will walk in the rain but if it is really bad I don't because I don't have a way of drying off to get back to work. Ashley and I are trying to walk at home at night too but it's been too cold to take the 3mt baby out with us. We went one night when it was warmer and a clear night but the last 2 nights it's been too dang cold.

I lost my last group to post on for motivation. Maybe we can help each other. Hope to see more from you.

Deb
  • edr2b
    edr2b Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sitstaygimme..I know exactly what you mean..I started out on here @ 220 after having my 1st child..I lost down to 188 lbs and decided to celebrate by going out w/the hubby and a friend to an outing..I told them..I'm going to celebrate bc it was my birthday..well that was in July..it is now Jan. and I have been off since that wonderful bday celebration..but now I am saying officially today...IT IS TIME..I want to be encouraging to my husband and an example to my daughter who will one day grow up and need to know how to eat healthy...I need as much encouragement as possible..I think my main problems is trying to decide whether to low carb it or calorie it..and after binging today...I think calorie counting is going to be it..

This past Sunday I started a program @ my church..I named it Extreme Makeover..it was announced to 300+ church members that I will be directing this program..so as a leader I feel the pressure is on to make a difference starting w/myself..I am going to head to the grocery store and try my best to pick healthy foods so that I can lose this weight once and for all..oh and my 10 yr class reunion along w/my husbands 20 yr reunion is coming up...I think I better get on the ball...HELPPPPPP!!!!
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to get back on track. I've used MFP for 2 yrs now. I Lost 34lbs the first year then got burnt out on logging my food so I stopped and I managed to keep 22 lbs off and then last year I started again in January and lost 35 lbs in 3 months then stopped again after getting bored with logging my food. I've gained all but 10lbs back. SO I've only kept 30lbs off total but that is better than nothing. I know if I log my food this works, but I get tired of it and stop logging then I start gaining again.

I started again on New Years and my daughter in law (Ashley) who lives with me is on it too and it helps that we are doing this together. I set my ticker back to 0 and will see how far I get this year. I really am not feeling the motivation I did last year at this time. But I really want to lose. I wish I was feeling it though. I am glad I have Ashley to keep me going right now.

I walk on both my breaks at work. So I get two 15 minute walks a day. I love them. I get upset when I miss them because of weather or being busy. I will walk in the rain but if it is really bad I don't because I don't have a way of drying off to get back to work. Ashley and I are trying to walk at home at night too but it's been too cold to take the 3mt baby out with us. We went one night when it was warmer and a clear night but the last 2 nights it's been too dang cold.

I lost my last group to post on for motivation. Maybe we can help each other. Hope to see more from you.

Deb

I've been having computer problems & have been spending lots of time these past couple of days trying to resolve the source. Or sources. Don't know a whole lot about computers, but I need this technology & I'm tinkering away... so far, I think I've been successful - at least somewhat.

That's great that your daughter-in-law is doing this - it helps, I think, to have family members doing the same.

I love getting out there walking. I think when it started to get cold, it added to me retreating indoors more - I'm so cold this year! Brrrr... but I feel so good when I go for a good long walk.

I think the hardest thing for me right now is getting enough healthy food in the house without having to go shopping every other day. Yet it's also the best - it forces me to get out of the house & walk around (I don't have a car so I go by bus & subway).

I can't do low carb - I've tried in the past & I end up binging. Counting my calories, weighing my food, and making sure my diet has lots of veggies & fruits was how I lost the 45 lbs before - and that's when I was also feeling my best.

Now if I can just follow through and get back to what I was doing before...
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    Options
    Sitstaygimme..I know exactly what you mean..I started out on here @ 220 after having my 1st child..I lost down to 188 lbs and decided to celebrate by going out w/the hubby and a friend to an outing..I told them..I'm going to celebrate bc it was my birthday..well that was in July..it is now Jan. and I have been off since that wonderful bday celebration..but now I am saying officially today...IT IS TIME..I want to be encouraging to my husband and an example to my daughter who will one day grow up and need to know how to eat healthy...I need as much encouragement as possible..I think my main problems is trying to decide whether to low carb it or calorie it..and after binging today...I think calorie counting is going to be it..

This past Sunday I started a program @ my church..I named it Extreme Makeover..it was announced to 300+ church members that I will be directing this program..so as a leader I feel the pressure is on to make a difference starting w/myself..I am going to head to the grocery store and try my best to pick healthy foods so that I can lose this weight once and for all..oh and my 10 yr class reunion along w/my husbands 20 yr reunion is coming up...I think I better get on the ball...HELPPPPPP!!!!

Stocking the house with healthy foods - and logging everything I ate - was how I got those 45 lbs off. I need to do this again, too.

I hear you about that reunion coming up - for me, it's my daughter's wedding. Yikes! It's scary... I've come this far & I don't want to stop before I reach my goal.
  • wimom27
    wimom27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well and lost almost 30 lb.! Then, we went on vacation over the summer and it was difficult to continue my healthy lifestyle while traveling and staying and eating at other people's homes. After the vacation I just never got back on track. Slowly I got really far off track and began eating foods I wanted to stay away from and completely stopped exercising, not even taking my dog for a walk, which I was doing faithfully every day. To top it off I got a full-time job that is completely sedentary, which leaves me even less time to fit in any kind of exercise.

Now, I am doing a weight loss challenge with my sister, which has re-motivated me to get back on track. I know I will feel better, have more energy, and look better if I can stick to it this time around. I am finding, however, that I am struggling with feeling deprived of sweets and junk food that I know I really don't want to have, but I have gotten used to eating. I know that once I can get a couple of weeks into this without eating the foods I know I shouldn't be eating in the first place that I will stop craving them so much!

Good luck to all of us who are recommitting ourselves to this healthy lifestyle journey!
  • CrazybeeRX
    CrazybeeRX Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am pissed this week. I weigh in on Fridays. My first week I lost 4.4lbs and this week I gained 3.4lbs. My daughter in law says she lost 8.8 lbs. I didn't see the weigh in so I am not so sure LOL. Either way I am really discouraged. I didn't even finish logging my food today. I usually work hard all week Mon-Fri trying to log my food and lose. Then Friday I weigh in and Saturday and Sunday I give myself a break and not log and try not to over eat. BUt I was mad and I know I blew it today. I do not feel like I am going to be successful this time. I want to just give up.

Deb
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    Options
    I am pissed this week. I weigh in on Fridays. My first week I lost 4.4lbs and this week I gained 3.4lbs. My daughter in law says she lost 8.8 lbs. I didn't see the weigh in so I am not so sure LOL. Either way I am really discouraged. I didn't even finish logging my food today. I usually work hard all week Mon-Fri trying to log my food and lose. Then Friday I weigh in and Saturday and Sunday I give myself a break and not log and try not to over eat. BUt I was mad and I know I blew it today. I do not feel like I am going to be successful this time. I want to just give up.

Deb

I'm doing a horrible job of staying focused - but I will share my own technique when I *was* doing well. It may not be the best advice for you, so make sure to make your own decision!

You might want to put the scale away for awhile. I know it sounds drastic (some people weigh themselves everyday!) When I started out, I didn't have a scale - but I weighed and measured my food religiously. As I felt better, I started exercising - so if I did have a small setback, I never knew it. But scientifically, I knew if I kept this up, I would do well - I lost 30 lbs before my sweet daughter gave me a scale!

One of my sons used a 'free day' when he was losing weight. For six days he ate low carb (I can't do that!) and on that designated 7th day he ate what he wanted. Personally, I didn't feel that I could do that - I was doing so well! Now I have to figure out how to get back...

What I would do is still log everything on weekends - even if you eat stuff you're not supposed to eat. It all counts, whether it's a weekend or not. I found I could eventually make intelligent changes (toast instead of a bagel, for instance) that gave me fewer calories.

But don't give up! I feel like I have been - giving up, that is - but I am NOT going to, no matter how hard it is. I think of the alternative: bad health, a cabinet full of prescription meds that I wouldn't need if I lose the weight - and early knee replacement surgery!!!

Yeah, you blew it - but each day can be a new beginning! Don't give up!
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    Options
    I was doing really well and lost almost 30 lb.! Then, we went on vacation over the summer and it was difficult to continue my healthy lifestyle while traveling and staying and eating at other people's homes. After the vacation I just never got back on track. Slowly I got really far off track and began eating foods I wanted to stay away from and completely stopped exercising, not even taking my dog for a walk, which I was doing faithfully every day. To top it off I got a full-time job that is completely sedentary, which leaves me even less time to fit in any kind of exercise.

Now, I am doing a weight loss challenge with my sister, which has re-motivated me to get back on track. I know I will feel better, have more energy, and look better if I can stick to it this time around. I am finding, however, that I am struggling with feeling deprived of sweets and junk food that I know I really don't want to have, but I have gotten used to eating. I know that once I can get a couple of weeks into this without eating the foods I know I shouldn't be eating in the first place that I will stop craving them so much!

Good luck to all of us who are recommitting ourselves to this healthy lifestyle journey!

I've stopped (mostly) taking my dogs for walks, too! For me, a big part is the weather - I'm so cold this year. My old clothes are useful because I am layering - I can fit several layers of clothes under my jeans, etc. Still isn't enough though..

I think it's wonderful you have your sister to help with your goals. That helps a lot!