Stopped taking my synthroid for Thyroid

njjswim
njjswim Posts: 178 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]202554.png[/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

I was tired, cold all the time and the doctor tested my Thyroid. It was slightly low and he told me well your Thyroid is a little low but since you have some symtoms I will start you on a low dose of Snythroid. Anyway my girlfriend told me unless you need Snythroid she it can be bad for my Thyroid and body. But if you need it and don't take it I know it can be bad for your heart. Anyway I am going to go off it for 6 months and repeat me labs to see if I truely have a problem or was I just sick at that time with a virus or something. Anyone else up on such things???

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    What was your TSH result?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Honestly, I I think the best thing to do is talk to your physician and tell him about your concerns. You may also need to read about the risks of stopping the meds. You also may want to talk to a homeopathic pharmacist about your concerns. Have you check thyroid.about.com. They have good info. Best to you.
  • jmeadowsclark
    jmeadowsclark Posts: 1 Member
    NJJSwim,

Normalizing your thyroid function can be tricky and it can be frustrating. I have been on Thyroid medication for 20 years (I'm 36) and my dosage fluctuates some based on weight and my work out regiment, but I've never known it to fluctuate because I was sick or had a bug of some kind. This is to say that the dosage of Synthroid I need changes, not my need for the Synthroid.

I WOULD NOT stop taking your Synthroid without consulting your doctor first. He/she can re-run your labs while you are taking the meds to determine if the dosage you are taking is too much/not enough for you. Messing with your thyroid can affect lots of other body systems and should not be taken lightly.

Good Luck!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member

I WOULD NOT stop taking your Synthroid without consulting your doctor first. He/she can re-run your labs while you are taking the meds to determine if the dosage you are taking is too much/not enough for you. Messing with your thyroid can affect lots of other body systems and should not be taken lightly.

Good Luck!

Amen!! Please don't take yourself off. Give the doctor a call first. Your thyroid effects your metabolism and takes a lot of fine tuning. You would not have been put on it in the first place if your body didn't need it! I know it can be a hassle to take pills and have your blood drawn--but it is worth it to feel good. I am sure you don't want to be tired and cold all the time again.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member

Good Luck!

Amen!! Please don't take yourself off. Give the doctor a call first. Your thyroid effects your metabolism and takes a lot of fine tuning. You would not have been put on it in the first place if your body didn't need it! I know it can be a hassle to take pills and have your blood drawn--but it is worth it to feel good. I am sure you don't want to be tired and cold all the time again.

I totally agree, you need to keep taking it and talk to your Dr.! My Dr. told me that the thyroid is like the motor in a car, so it's VERY, VERY important! :noway:
  • njjswim
    I am not sure on the number. I will find out tomorrow. I did know it but forgot since I have not looked in so long. I know my last labs were normal even on the med and off. Not sure what that was about but I will ask tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your great advice...:smile:
  • maryew
    maryew Posts: 1
    Thyroid medicine is soo important! I have been on for 13 years now and occasionally they still have to adjust my dosage, but when they found it they told me my TSH was 63. Said I should have been in coma. Because of that my liver function was off, there was fluid around my heart. Thyroid is kind of the regulator in your body, keeps all the other systems functioning. Let the doc decide if you need it or not.
  • njjswim
    Thanks I am back on it. Today I saw my doctor and he showed me the lab results,
    TSH 14 MAY 09:: 2.60
    TSH 8 DEC 08 ::: 3.28
    TSH 29 SEP 08::: 3.28
    TSH 6 AUG 08::: 6.44 H normal is (0.34 - 5.60 )

So I also had mono then so I wonder if I was really abnormal then due to the virus but he said to stay on the medication so I am...I just hate taking anything. I am planning to start taking a B complex and C complex combo supplement now for more energy and immune improvement. Anyone out there have any good brands they recommend or types of time release capsules vice liquids etc???:noway:

202554.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Good for you for getting back on the Synthroid! I hate taking medication too, but you can't mess with thyroid. So many women have this problem and it is so common, but they don't get it tested. Your brain and body will not function properly if your thyroid is off....even by just a little!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Discuss anything you take with your doctor including vitamins. My TSH was 16 I think when I was diagnosed... it's now down to about 0.5. The "normal" levels have changed some... so don't believe everything you read. There are some that say it's between 0.5 and 5.0 (that's an older study) and others that say they should be between 0.3 and 3.0 with the target value around 1.0 (this is a newer study and much more accurate). So many doctors would say that all of your levels were slightly high. There are some who believe anything over 2.0 is high.
    Any medication can affect your thyroid and the effectiveness of Synthroid including vitamins especially those that affect your metabolism, so discuss discuss discuss!
  • NJJSwim,

Normalizing your thyroid function can be tricky and it can be frustrating. I have been on Thyroid medication for 20 years (I'm 36) and my dosage fluctuates some based on weight and my work out regiment, but I've never known it to fluctuate because I was sick or had a bug of some kind. This is to say that the dosage of Synthroid I need changes, not my need for the Synthroid.

Good Luck!

I've been on synthroid since i was 16 so for about 13 years now. it fluctuates with every blood test. unless you want be the victim of what could be some dire consequences, i suggest you do not stop your medication. i did that once and totally messed myself up.
This discussion has been closed.