Is there such a thing as too much protein?

Ok so I have slowly been cutting out carbs, and I am starting to love protein shakes...I noticed today I had approx 250 grams of protein, I weight 169. I have a lot of muscle as I do intense weight lifting 3x a week, but I guess my concern is, is there such thing as too much protein? I still have 30 lbs to lose and want to do it the best way possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    No. You can not eat too much protein. But since I can't see your diary, I don't know what your other macros are. If you're eating at a surplus, then maybe its bad cause you'd gain weight. But if you're bulking maybe that's what you want? You tell us.
  • Honestly, I'm not sure. I have heard though that a balanced diet is always best for your body. My mom who was a nurse for several years is always telling me that as were the exercise trainers at Curves. So, I'd say it might not be the best thing since it makes your diet unbalanced. I would suggest asking your health care provider what protein intake levels are best for you.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Ok so I have slowly been cutting out carbs, and I am starting to love protein shakes...I noticed today I had approx 250 grams of protein, I weight 169. I have a lot of muscle as I do intense weight lifting 3x a week, but I guess my concern is, is there such thing as too much protein? I still have 30 lbs to lose and want to do it the best way possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Too much as in overkill? Yes, too much as it hurful? Not at that amount (assuming you have proper kidney function).
  • Found an article you might want to check out.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • cacrat
    Found an article you might want to check out.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

Article is a bunch of bollucks. Try this article...and it even cites the studies!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Thanks for the articles...So what would you recommend my daily Percentages be? I think I need to add more vegetables...other than beans, I'm not big on carbs. Definitely not trying to "bulk" per say, but I would like more muscle, and a smaller waist!! I had my Macros set at Carbs 20% Protein 50% and Fat at 30%, think I might change it to 30/40/30...thoughts??
  • cacrat
    If you're not big on carbs then keep your ratios as they are. Plus, the protein will make you feel fuller than carbs, generally.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Why cut carbs?
    Are you sensitive?
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    I was just doing a high-protein shake replacement diet with unipro, but I am trying to limit my animal-based proteins and going toward plant-based proteins, so I have cut that out for health reasons. I know there is a calculation, (like .8 grams protein per kg body weight or something) but I am not into making more work out of nutrition than I have to, so I think as a previous post mentioned your kidneys are okay, generally people are fine. However, consider the source of your protein. It has far-reaching implications on health beyond weight management depending on the source (which is why I've switched)
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    Veggies and fruits will be your carbs, too. Lucky you, you're not big into carbs! my guilty pleasure is pasta :) When I was working w a trainer he was big into cutting carbs (limiting) to truly see the results of what I was doing in the gym, and his advice was I could start my day w protein (even some oatmeal to stabilize blood sugar and get the good carbs in early) and nothing carb after that and if I ever did have carbs, avoid wheat (for ex rice-based pasta/tortillas at night if worst came to worst)
  • I weight 155 and I'm getting between 150 and 165 grams of protein a day. I'm putting on some muscle but not a ton of muscle. You've got me wondering if I should change my macro's around.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I weight 155 and I'm getting between 150 and 165 grams of protein a day. I'm putting on some muscle but not a ton of muscle. You've got me wondering if I should change my macro's around.

Should be 1g per lean body pound.
    Women should try to do .65g to 1g per lean body pound.
    Men as high as 1.5g per lean pound.

Not total.
    Your kidneys have to process that stuff!