Is it okay to work out when you are incredibly sore and mise

I am about to start Jillian's 30 Day Shred dvd, and was wondering, if I get really sore after the first few days, would it be better to take a break and let myself heal, or keep going? :bigsmile:

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I am about to start Jillian's 30 Day Shred dvd, and was wondering, if I get really sore after the first few days, would it be better to take a break and let myself heal, or keep going? :bigsmile:

If the muscles don't recover, they won't get stronger and better.

Do some light aerobic if you still had time planned, gets the lactic acid and muscle breakdown elements out of your system.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    If you are in actual pain you should probably take a break for a day or two and let the muscles heal. If you are just uncomfortable then keep at it. Pushing ourselves outside of our comfort zones is a big part of losing weight and getting healthy.

If you feel like you are hurting to bad to do the toning / lifting type exercisesbut you feel like you can do something try doing some cardio instead. It will help loosen up your muscles and bring them oxygen and they will actually feel better afterwards.
  • :bigsmile: Thanks!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    I was wondering the same thing. I was sore after just the first day doing 30ds (I did my fourth today). I've been sore every day since, then I did a 6 mile jog/walk today plus the 30ds. I have a feeling I'll be very sore tomorrow but I really wanna do 30 days in a row! I'm definitely going to try tomorrow, hopefully I won't be as sore as I'm predicting.
  • loverunningdiva
    loverunningdiva Posts: 3 Member
    I have been athletic all of my life, it is always important to take at least one day a week off from exercise to let your body rest, but always stretch on that day off. If you get really sore make sure you are stretching enough and that you get enough water this will help lactic acid build up. If you are feeling pain and it is making it hard to do the workout, this is when you need to listen to your body. Stretch and rub the area that is bothering you and if that doesn't help, ice it and rest for a day or two while continueing the icing and stretching. If after a couple of days the pain is persistant make sure you see a doctor, always listen to your body. Good luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Overtraining gets you nowhere. Take a day off.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Experience, PT course, Nutirtion course......

When ur sore from working out it is lactic acid build up in your muscles.. you can eliminate that with 15min of light cardio post workout and if you are sore the next day for your workout you can do light cardio and stretching. So this means you can continue your training... only time i cut someone slack is if its their first week-month of training and your body is jsut getting used to the new strain even so i would make them do cardio but skip the weights for that day...

the PERFECT amount of sorness you want is lets say Monday-train chest.. Tuesday - little tight and sore, Wensday - fearly sore and very tight, Thrusday - little tight and sore, Friday - Fully recovered
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Experience, PT course, Nutirtion course......

When ur sore from working out it is lactic acid build up in your muscles.. you can eliminate that with 15min of light cardio post workout and if you are sore the next day for your workout you can do light cardio and stretching. So this means you can continue your training... only time i cut someone slack is if its their first week-month of training and your body is jsut getting used to the new strain even so i would make them do cardio but skip the weights for that day...

the PERFECT amount of sorness you want is lets say Monday-train chest.. Tuesday - little tight and sore, Wensday - fearly sore and very tight, Thrusday - little tight and sore, Friday - Fully recovered

What he said.. it's amazing what a bit of light cardio can do for soreness. I do 15 minutes on the treadmill after a tough workout and do the same the next day..
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    was soooo sore today after training yesterday (have a half ironman in a few months, just building my cycling) and could barely sit down, went on an easy 4.5 mile jog today limping around but figured it would break up the lactic acid, sure did, I took my time and looked ridic I'm sure, but I can walk fine now. If I were not already in decent shape and just starting out, I'd have just done light stretching after some light cardio to loosen up. it really works! then, take a day off :)
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    PS your gains come when you rest and your muscles repair!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    A rule of thumb that has personally worked for me is if im sore, then its fine to work out. If I am sore AND in pain, workout is replaced by a recovery such as yoga, stretching, or just sleep.
  • heybales
    Lactic acid clears a whole lot faster than is being suggested, and is most likely NOT the reason for all this soreness being experienced.

Especially for running. Unless you were doing sprint intervals, or running at and constantly over your anaerobic threshold (basically intervals), then you really aren't getting much in the way of lactic acid at all.

Even weight lifting would have to be pretty serious for lactic acid buildup to be so great that it doesn't get cleared out within several hours.

The next day soreness is the result of muscles having gotten slightly torn down, micro-tears in the structure.
    It is that which makes the body repair them stronger.

That is usually called DOMS.

Here's a nice review to see the difference.
    http://fitnesstips101.com/articles/muscle-soreness-lactic-acid-buildup-doms-explained/
  • heybales
    Here's the study I was looking for about lactic acid.
    Didn't realize it had been way back in 2006 a better understanding of it came out. NYT article got into too.

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2006/04/19_lactate.shtml

If you "feel the burn," you need to bulk up your mitochondria

By Robert Sanders, Media Relations | 19 April 2006

BERKELEY – In the lore of marathoners and extreme athletes, lactic acid is poison, a waste product that builds up in the muscles and leads to muscle fatigue, reduced performance and pain.

Some 30 years of research at the University of California, Berkeley, however, tells a different story: Lactic acid can be your friend.

Coaches and athletes don't realize it, says exercise physiologist George Brooks, UC Berkeley professor of integrative biology, but endurance training teaches the body to efficiently use lactic acid as a source of fuel on par with the carbohydrates stored in muscle tissue and the sugar in blood. Efficient use of lactic acid, or lactate, not only prevents lactate build-up, but ekes out more energy from the body's fuel.

In a paper in press for the American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism, published online in January, Brooks and colleagues Takeshi Hashimoto and Rajaa Hussien in UC Berkeley's Exercise Physiology Laboratory add one of the last puzzle pieces to the lactate story and also link for the first time two metabolic cycles - oxygen-based aerobic metabolism and oxygen-free anaerobic metabolism - previously thought distinct.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Lactic acid clears a whole lot faster than is being suggested, and is most likely NOT the reason for all this soreness being experienced.

Especially for running. Unless you were doing sprint intervals, or running at and constantly over your anaerobic threshold (basically intervals), then you really aren't getting much in the way of lactic acid at all.

Even weight lifting would have to be pretty serious for lactic acid buildup to be so great that it doesn't get cleared out within several hours.

The next day soreness is the result of muscles having gotten slightly torn down, micro-tears in the structure.
    It is that which makes the body repair them stronger.

That is usually called DOMS.

Here's a nice review to see the difference.
    http://fitnesstips101.com/articles/muscle-soreness-lactic-acid-buildup-doms-explained/

this x2.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    I loved both those articles :D Thanks! XD