Net Calories

Options
Alright, this may seem like a beginner question, but I am new at the whole "logging food and weighing everything I eat like I have OCD."

I own a bodybugg, which I've used in the past, and two years later decided to pick up again and start using, and I'm trying to figure out a way to gel both programs (MFP and Bodybugg) to match up correctly.

The calories I burn in a day, just doing normal day to day things, go to school, ride my motorcycle, sit on the computer and do homework, says I burn 1600 calories. Do I need to net 1600 or am I ok with a net of 1200?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, and I'll try to scan the boards. Even if you know of good posts for me to read to find the info I need.

Thank you!

Replies

• ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is how I have been tracking using MFP, not sure what Bodybugg is.

First your BMR - This is the calories your body needs to just live (keep you breathing, heart pumping, etc.)

For 1 lb per week of weight loss you want BMR - 500 for net calories. For 2 lbs you want BMR - 1000. More then 2 lb per week is not healthy, so we won't go any more here.

I don't enter my daily activities unless they are exercise. So my break time walk (15 mins brisk pace), yes. The other 7 hours I spent sitting in my cube staring at my computer, no.

For example my BMR is about 2200. I want to lose 1-2 lbs a week. For my net calories is 1200-1400 a day.

If I am understanding you correctly, if you enter the 1600 you are counting from sitting around doing homework etc and then eat back your calories. You will be over eating and not seeing the results you wish. If you don't eat back calories, you aren't tracking as MFP is designed and risk eating to little and putting your body into starvation mode, again you won't get the results you are looking for.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but you don't take into account in your calculation the physical activity.

Using the Harris Benedict Formula

"To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9"

On the same example for a BMR of 2200 the total daily expenditure for a light active person would be:
    2200 x 1.375 = 3025 calories
    In order to keep your actual weight you have to eat 3025 calories (called maintenance).
    For losing 1 lbs/week you eat 2525 cals and for 2lbs/week 2025 cals.
    MFP calculates in a similar way.

This is pure theory. In real life is a little bit different from person to person but it is a base.
    Here is a very simple calculator:
    http://www.globalrph.com/dieting_calc.htm

This is how I have been tracking using MFP, not sure what Bodybugg is.

First your BMR - This is the calories your body needs to just live (keep you breathing, heart pumping, etc.)

For 1 lb per week of weight loss you want BMR - 500 for net calories. For 2 lbs you want BMR - 1000. More then 2 lb per week is not healthy, so we won't go any more here.

I don't enter my daily activities unless they are exercise. So my break time walk (15 mins brisk pace), yes. The other 7 hours I spent sitting in my cube staring at my computer, no.

For example my BMR is about 2200. I want to lose 1-2 lbs a week. For my net calories is 1200-1400 a day.

If I am understanding you correctly, if you enter the 1600 you are counting from sitting around doing homework etc and then eat back your calories. You will be over eating and not seeing the results you wish. If you don't eat back calories, you aren't tracking as MFP is designed and risk eating to little and putting your body into starvation mode, again you won't get the results you are looking for.
  • inkedartist
    Options
    I have a net, after uploading the armband (which I couldn't do until now) of 2400 calories in a day, BMR. So I should be eating 1400 calories to loose 2lbs a week. Ok, so I need to eat a little more. Just wanted to make sure I'm getting the calculations right. Thanks for the link!
  • evmullin
    Options
    Ahhhh, I get it....finally. After years of up down and all around. This makes sense! Thank you for asking this question and thank you for the simple, clear answers! I believe I'm officially on the track to losing my last 14!! :) thank you!
  • cmyk529
    cmyk529 Posts: 13
    Options
    I calculated my BMR based on a completely sedentary lifestyle - 1600
    I never add basic movements and walks anywhere unless I take a significant walk over 2 miles. I will add my time at the gym, but if I did 30 minutes on the arc trainer, I'll put it into MFP as 20 minutes because it is better to slightly underestimate and be a bit tougher on yourself and stay on track than flounder around and eat too much because you won't see progress.

I almost think of counting calories as estimating prices at a store. If you see something that is £2.76 You can't say it's £2.50 or £2.0 because you own't have enough money. If you think about it as being £3 then you're more than prepared. So I will sometimes over estimate my caloric intake for a meal by maybe 10-15 calories and underestimate my workouts by around 100.