new to running....help?

Options
I going to start running more and eventually work my way up to a marathon. I want to make sure I am running as efficiently as possible do you have any suggestions? Also as a kid my mom always told me breath in your nose and out your mouth. When trying that today I felt out breath. But if I breathe in my mouth sometimes causes a stomach ache. Is something I need get use to or different way to run without causing a stomach ache? Thank you in advance for any help :)

Replies

• amusco_rn
    Options
    I had a lot of success with the Couch to 5K program. I started running in Jan of '08. Since then I have worked my way up and completed 6 half marathons in addition to a variety of shorter distance runs. I really enjoy running now and no longer view it as "work".
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That awesome that not a chore anymore. That is how I want to get. I have heard of couch to 5k plan on starting it soon :) but guess my question was more towards what are some suggestion of proper technique. Maybe somethings that help people so I can make sure I am running effiecent as possible :)
  • kgorman1984
    Options
    practice breathing before you go out to run...get the breathing down and i promise you will feel tons better. you may feel out of breath because its not normal to you and your thinking about it to much. I had the same problem when i worked out. and even when i lifted weights i had to remind myself to actually breath. Most important.
  • amusco_rn
    Options
    I find chewing gum while I run helps me to regulate my breathing.

ETA: I am an exercise-induced asthmatic. When I started running, I was puffing on my inhaler 1-3x per run. I am happy to report that by the time I ran my 1st 1/2 marathon, I was able to do the full 13.1 miles without the assistance of an inhaler. I definitely found it difficult to "learn" how to breathe in the beginning but found over time that as the running itself became easier, I was breathing easier - I think mostly because I wasn't 100% focused on form, mileage, breathing, etc.
  • mark2605
    mark2605 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This article should tell you everything you need to know:

http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/f/breathing.htm

(running.about.com is a great resource in general for new runners)
  • megiwatt
    Options
    I'm relatively new myself, but I had a session with a personal trainer and she gave me the best advice. Focus on blowing air out, your body will naturally inhale. Hope this helps... also, I found I can usually run farther than I think I can. Good luck, and have fun!
  • jo31071972
    Options
    This article should tell you everything you need to know:

http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/f/breathing.htm

(running.about.com is a great resource in general for new runners)

Thanks this is a good link with some useful information
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I going to start running more and eventually work my way up to a marathon. I want to make sure I am running as efficiently as possible do you have any suggestions? Also as a kid my mom always told me breath in your nose and out your mouth. When trying that today I felt out breath. But if I breathe in my mouth sometimes causes a stomach ache. Is something I need get use to or different way to run without causing a stomach ache? Thank you in advance for any help :)

That suggestion is usually given to assist in making sure you breathe with your diaphragm, lower stomach, not your chest.

Try to have your feet turning over 80-90 cycles/min, or 160-180 steps/min.

And this since you are starting out. No need to stop you in your tracks from injury.
    http://runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/foot-strike.html

And this program was nice for building up to longer runs. You don't have to make each level a week, but when you feel comfortable. I actually took this schedule, and instead of weeks, made it 5lb weight ranges, with the final "week" or weight, about 10 above my goal, and worked backward from there.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/JogWalkProgram.html
  • kgorman1984
    Options
    thats funny i alwwways chew gum when i run its a habit. and it works.
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Going try them tonight when I go for my run :)