Calories burned accuracy

Options
If one has a TDEE of 2000 calories (for simplicity) then on average that person is expending roughly 83 calories every hour by just being alive.

My question is, if you exercise for 30 minutes and calculate calories burned using an HRM, should you subtract the 40 calories that you would've burned anyways had you not done exercise? Would it be more accurate to say, for example, I burned 500 calories jogging for 30 minutes but I should subtract 40 from that which means I really only burned 460.

Or am I overthinking it?

Replies

• Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    Yes you are overthinking it...Keep it simple and consistent.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yes you are overthinking it...Keep it simple and consistent.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's good to recognise that the numbers are approximations! Bear in mind that your heart rate will still be elevated for a while after you've switched your exercise machine off, so the difference is for all intents and purpose negligible.
  • Slim_Donna
    Slim_Donna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes you're over thinking it. Your daily calorie allowance it what energy your body needs during the day.
  • gazzajam
    gazzajam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    On the same vein, doesn't a larger guy of 18 stone burn more calories than a guy 12 stones doing the same task or exercise?
    Surely the 12stone guy would burn more calories with a 6 stone back pack on, that brought his weight up to 18 stones?
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you burned 25% (500) calories of your daily allowance, does 2% (40) actually matter?

I vote over thinking. X
  • gazzajam
    gazzajam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've thought a lot about this and was wondering how many calories I've burned doing this?...(thinking)

Joking, I vote over thinking too.