Really Really Struggling...

Options
:cry:

Hey there. I've been dieting for 2 years and have gone from 187lbs to 135lbs (most of this was achieved in the first 12 months).

My target goal weight is 125 lbs and I haven't reached it - got pretty close at 127 but fluctuated all the way through last year, and I'm now the same weight I was 1 year ago at 135lbs. :grumble:

I seem to think about food constantly and have a daily battle with what I should and shouldn't eat. Not a great mindset to be in and I'm really struggling to get myself out of it. I've thought of hypnosis....? Only thought....

I've re-started logging on here daily (skipped it for a couple of months to see if that would help as I was kind of obsessive about MFP!), and I exercise on average 5hrs per week.

I have very little self control when it comes to walking past the sweetie bag with all the goodies left over from Christmas, and I eat snacks like low fat cheese, and crackers and think to myself "there's so few calories, no point logging".... I do this a lot.

I guess I kind of know my pitfalls, but I can't seem to crack the cycle of constantly thinking about food..

Anyone any tips or advice for me?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

x

Replies

• Clare_F
    Clare_F Posts: 76
    Options
    Its never easy and I have struggled many times, and cheese has always been a big downfall for me !

You could try replacing the cheese and crackers with a fruit snack, or have a supply of veg sticks chopped up in the fridge within easy reach ??? make sure you log everything then you can see where the calories are, and I find it makes me think before eating something and maybe not eat it if I have to log it and it would put me over, maybe also try having reward days where you do have the snack you like after a couple of good days.

Good luck with what ever you try :)
  • trishdg10
    trishdg10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I follow the old principle of "if it isn't in the house, you can't eat it. Go through your cabinets and fridge and throw out everything that is a temptation for you, crackers, cookies, candy, etc. Hard to do but effective.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Not sure how big Paul McKenna is where you are but I have his book ' I can make you thin'. I followed the golden rules and I got loads of control back over eating chocolate and sweet stuff which I seemed to be a slave to. Certainly in the Uk, you can get a copy of the book 2nd hand off Amazon. Good luck, hope this helps
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    An alternative view:

Stop fighting, you've already won. Dropping 50lbs and keeping it off is a stunning achievement. You're fitter& healthier (and I assume better looking) than you were two years ago. Start enjoying that rather than obsessing over the last 10 lbs.

Keep half an eye on your weight, but don't let it rule you, you know that you have the tools to control it if it does creep up again.

Maybe come back to it at some point, but for now, give yourself a break.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I follow the old principle of "if it isn't in the house, you can't eat it. Go through your cabinets and fridge and throw out everything that is a temptation for you, crackers, cookies, candy, etc. Hard to do but effective.

I totally agree with this! I cleared out my cupboards and freezer and gave anything that was over 5% fat per 100g to my next door neighbours! They are really supportive and I felt better about giving it away rather than just throwing it out. Now my cupboards and freezers (I have 2!) are full of healthy options. I also try and cook meals - that way I control what goes into my mouth. I treat myself occasionally e.g. a McDonald's BUT only as a treat and all food is logged.
  • NearlyThere2011
    NearlyThere2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses guys - means a lot to me.

gj4man - yours made me smile :happy: Thank you. You're right

katemateg - yep Paul McKenna big in Scotland! Gonna go look for that book and try to change my mindset a bit.

Clare_F, trishdg10, Fatbuster205 - gonna go buy some healthy snacks to pick at - carrot battons (no dip! :bigsmile: ), fruit salads etc etc..

Thanks all - good luck whatever you guys are doing.. :flowerforyou:
  • NearlyThere2011
    NearlyThere2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    before and after pics if anyone's interested. :)
    188lbs.jpg

130lbs.jpg
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    they always say the last 10 is the hardest.. maybe your body is comfortable with what you've been doing.. try changing something small and see if that helps? shock to the system will generate some kind of movement.. change the exercise, or the intensity - and I love the idea of having veggies cut up and ready to grab. and then write down everything that you eat.. no matter how small... youll see where the improvement needs to be.

You have done amazing so far. Be proud of your accomplishments! You've lost a lot of weight and kept it off.
    You will do this!

your pictures are amazing. you look so young and beautiful! keep up the great work!
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    188lbs.jpg

130lbs.jpg

Damn you look great!!!

As mentioned above the last few pounds is the hardes and it is referred to as stubborn fat. There are a few things you can try , one is to start calorie cycling and the other one is intermittent fasting (Martin Berkhan has done a few studies about this)
  • siogdearg
    siogdearg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments - you should celebrate your achievement to date, rather than worry about the last few pounds. Are you aiming at an unrealistic "celebrity" weight? 135lb sounds healthy to me, although I don't know your height. I imagine you probably have a healthy BMI at that weight and are feeling and looking great. I also imagine you have got lots of compliments since you lost, what was it - 50lb? that is a massive achievement. I would say concentrate on maintenance and living and enjoying your life at this weight. If it is really important to you then do work at the last few pounds, but adjust your expectations. It might only be losing a lb over a few months. Buy something to wear that you wouldn't have been able to wear two years ago and flaunt it.
    well done!