Making up my extra calories by eating whatever i want??

Options
Hi everyone,

Just new to this! Started on Monday!

I am on a 1200calories a day allowance and been reading past posts on how you need to eat your exercise calories back, thing is somedays i can and somedays im a few hundred calories off!! Been sticking to a really healthy diet and wondered if you can pretty much eat whatever you like to make up the extra calories aslong as you dont go over your 1200 (or whatever your goal is) ???

Say im 200 off my net goal for the day......iv been eating healthy all day and had a work out.....aslong as i dont go over my net goal is a bar of chocolate ok???

Thanks

Replies

• pixieakabigd
    Options
    Go for it! Just try keep within the Fat limits but if you're under your calorie limit, you're fine! That's the bonus of this site. If you go for a nice walk, you might be able to have a glass of wine!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Yes...the idea here is a lifestyle change not a diet. SO if you want a piece of chocolate and it fits within your goal, than eat it!

But just be careful, it is a slippery slope...you are making a lifestyle change to get fit and healthy, so eating chocolate all day and staying in your goal is not the way to do it. You can eat 1200 calories a day of just chocolate and still loose weight, there is an article floating around called the "twinkie diet", but you won't be healthy....

I have stay away from all junk/chocolate, because once I start eating it, it is hard to stop. I allow myself one day a week, usually Saturday, to have that stuff so I don't feel deprived.

Welcome!
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I would say so, others would say you need to eat "clean" all the time. Your calorie goal already has a weight loss deficit built in so if you exercise the deficit is bigger and you might lose more weight but you should still lose weight if you eat your exercise calories back. I tendd not to eat them all back but if I exercise and feel like some chicken nuggets or fries ont he way home, if I've got the calories I'll indulge a little - it makes it all a bit more bearable and realistic in my mind. it might not be right for everyone, but it's best for me not to be too extreme about all this.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    That's how I work it ;) I also go by weekly calorie goal instead of daily so it mixes things up a bit, but am always over my 1200 cos of eating back exercise calories. I tend to go over on my fat and sugar though - need to work on that next!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    the simple answer: yes.
    The more complex: Yes, but..... Make sure you are getting the nutrients you need and to have treats in moderation. :)
    Enjoy and good luck, sounds like you are on the right track! I am also a 1200 cal target.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    because you are using the minimum Calorie intake of 1200 Kcals a day it is more a case of nutrition rather than calories I suspect.

if you are topping up calories use during work outs then a choc bar may well be good
    if just topping up calories to 1200 then perhaps something with vitamins, Iron, Calcium etc would be better
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hi Babe!
    I feel a bit different about it ..
    after using MFP we get more focused on just calorie intakes but we should never forget that a 'Bad for health food' will always be 'Bad for health' no matter if you are under your calorie goal everyday or not.. but weight loss is all about 70% of what you eat and 30% of what you workout..

See it this way if you eat Pasta or Pizza or Chocs worth 1200 calorie everyday .. you are still under your calorie goal but there is noway you will lose weight eating that crap
    So stay healthy and eat healthy and avoid such bad for health food as much as you can ...
    In case you are craving for such food then have a bite or two and throw it away or hide it :laugh:
    but never think about eating the whole of it :noway:
    Stay healthy :heart:
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    I've just upped my exercise and have been wondering the same thing. I do often have one treat item a day - e.g a glass of wine, a choc ice - but yesterday was more than 400 cals short of 1200 net cals. Today I've brought Go Ahead Yoghurt bars and fruit to work - will have something in between breakfast and lunch and some thing mid afternoon. I know six small meals is ideal, but that's impractical for me, so I'm hoping frequent healthy snacks will keep my metabolism fired up all day, and don't contain too many sat fats, sugar etc. Healthy snacks also help me stay in a healthy mindset, reinforcing my desire to make healthy choices at other mealtimes. Unless I want a bigger treat - on Monday I had a Creme Egg instead!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    YES! I eat whatever I want and I lose weight :) I just log it and make sure I'm under.
  • Michelle_H
    Options
    I would maybe do that once a week if I really, really felt I needed the chocolate but to be honest, perhaps a slightly larger piece of protein, say if you were having chicken at dinner time, would be a better option than a choccy bar two or three times a week. Or an extra, good snack - crackers and a piece of cheese or a yoghurt... something that is still nutritious rather than the empty calories the chocolate will give you.
    However if weight loss is your main goal at the moment, perhaps not eating the exercise calories would be more beneficial, unless you only have a few pounds to lose when I believe the reverse is true. I'm just wondering if a chocolate bar is really the idea you had when you decided to stick to the healthy diet you mention? One choccy bar leads to two with me - I'm rubbish, lol.
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just new to this! Started on Monday!

I am on a 1200calories a day allowance and been reading past posts on how you need to eat your exercise calories back, thing is somedays i can and somedays im a few hundred calories off!! Been sticking to a really healthy diet and wondered if you can pretty much eat whatever you like to make up the extra calories aslong as you dont go over your 1200 (or whatever your goal is) ???

Say im 200 off my net goal for the day......iv been eating healthy all day and had a work out.....aslong as i dont go over my net goal is a bar of chocolate ok???

Thanks

There was a medical journal published on people getting diabetes on IF and it was theorized that was because people filled those extra calories with junk.

Will try to find it on bb.com and post it on here so you can have a look.
  • Easybreezybeautiful
    Options
    I Say if you are hungry and want choc really bad then eat it. If you are not fussed by the choc then eat some nuts or fruit or another snack that makes you feel energetic and not sluggish and gives you some good stuff. If you are not hungry, then don't eat! I really don't see how eating late at night when all you are going to do is sleep will help you in anyway (many disagree i know!).

Listen to what you really want, and do that! Best way!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Read this article. The titile is:

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    Long-term intermittent feeding, but not caloric restriction, leads to redox imbalance, insulin receptor nitration, and glucose intolerance.

Abstract
    Calorie restriction is a dietary intervention known to improve redox state, glucose tolerance, and animal life span. Other interventions have been adopted as study models for caloric restriction, including nonsupplemented food restriction and intermittent, every-other-day feedings. We compared the short- and long-term effects of these interventions to ad libitum protocols and found that, although all restricted diets decrease body weight, intermittent feeding did not decrease intra-abdominal adiposity. Short-term calorie restriction and intermittent feeding presented similar results relative to glucose tolerance. Surprisingly, long-term intermittent feeding promoted glucose intolerance, without a loss in insulin receptor phosphorylation. Intermittent feeding substantially increased insulin receptor nitration in both intra-abdominal adipose tissue and muscle, a modification associated with receptor inactivation. All restricted diets enhanced nitric oxide synthase levels in the insulin-responsive adipose tissue and skeletal muscle. However, whereas calorie restriction improved tissue redox state, food restriction and intermittent feedings did not. In fact, long-term intermittent feeding resulted in largely enhanced tissue release of oxidants. Overall, our results show that restricted diets are significantly different in their effects on glucose tolerance and redox state when adopted long-term. Furthermore, we show that intermittent feeding can lead to oxidative insulin receptor inactivation and glucose intolerance.

Copyright © 2011. Published by Elsevier Inc.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21816219?dopt=Abstract

Source:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137069523&highlight=Intermittent+Fasting+Diabetes

Though I sitll have my belgian chocolate ice cream every evening lol
  • oliviaseward
    oliviaseward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    youre supposed to eat back the calories you lose from working out? i thought how you lose weight is by working off the calories youve gained during the day. so the less calories you have consumed/burned off the better which equals weight loss right?
  • britneyblonde
    britneyblonde Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile: I LOVE this site!!!!!! Just hope it works :laugh: xx
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    youre supposed to eat back the calories you lose from working out? i thought how you lose weight is by working off the calories youve gained during the day. so the less calories you have consumed/burned off the better which equals weight loss right?

Not quite that easy. If you don't eat enough food your body reacts to that and will slow down. This will cause you to lose weight at a much slower rate. There is a lot of science to losing weight effectively.
    The rason people recommend eating your exercise calories here is because MFP has already factored your required calorie intake to lose the amount you said you wanted to lose per week and therefore they recommend you eat back any exercise calories. It sounds counter-productive but it really isn't. There are so many other benefits to exercise aside from the calories it burns.
    Some people eat their calories back and some don't. I say do what works for you. If you try it one way for a while and it stops working, switch to the other way for a while. Switch things up and keep your body confused.
  • Kelseydunn1
    Options
    I've noticed when I've had a particularly hard workout one day, if I do not eat the workout cals the next day my body goes into "hunger mode" so I end up craving crap late night the day after. I go with a balanced snack depending on how many cals I've burned... say a 5 mile run I'm at a 550 caloric defacit, so I eat some raw almonds and dried fruit, or an apple with as much peanut butter as I want. Because If your body loses too much too fast it goes into panic mode and it will actually work against you by storing the "bad stuff" like fat so it can protect internal organs if it ever goes into starvation mode again. keep the balance <3:flowerforyou:
  • Brittypop
    Options
    Yes...the idea here is a lifestyle change not a diet. SO if you want a piece of chocolate and it fits within your goal, than eat it!

But just be careful, it is a slippery slope...you are making a lifestyle change to get fit and healthy, so eating chocolate all day and staying in your goal is not the way to do it. You can eat 1200 calories a day of just chocolate and still loose weight, there is an article floating around called the "twinkie diet", but you won't be healthy....

I have stay away from all junk/chocolate, because once I start eating it, it is hard to stop. I allow myself one day a week, usually Saturday, to have that stuff so I don't feel deprived.

Welcome!

GREAT advice!
  • irishgirl63
    Options
    I agree, if you have the calories to spare and you know where that candy bar is going to put you then have it. But be careful of your sugar intake. Try not to go over that.