not working out due to illness - bronchitis/ pnemonia

Options
Hi,
Last week I was told I had bronchitis, so I had no choice but to take a few days off from my exercise routines. I waited abour 4 days and started again.
I managed to get up 2 days to work out again - Jillian michaels DVD - and then my cold got worse - I went back tot he dr and was sent for a chest xray to see if I have progressed to pnemonia.

I won't have the results till today but how do you loose weight without that workout routine -- anyone else have had a similar experience where they were ill and unable to workout? what did you do?

I don't take any chances with my health but I want to stay on my workout routine -- I have another 50-60 lbs to loose yet...

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Definitely wait until you are well.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Everybody gets sick. Especially when it is something quite awful like bronchotis or pnemonia, definatly take off. Your body needs time and rest to be able to heal itself.

It will just be a few days, it won't hurt (it will probably help) to take time off, rest, make sure to eat and get healthy.
  • pars1981
    pars1981 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yeah wait until you feel better. I had pnemonia a few years ago and the recovery was slow unfortunately-was about 6wks before i was able to walk any distance without being out of breath!! its not worth risking your health any further. Hope you feel better soon.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Drink allot of water and avoid dairy like the plague. The dairy is mucous forming. The exception is if you are put on antibiotics to drink some kefir. It should be in the dairy section.It has good stuff for you. The more you rest and treat your body right, the faster you will get over the cold.
  • bdaves
    bdaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wait until you are well. Even once you are well take it easy. I had walking pneumonia at the beginning of last month and it took me several weeks to get over. When I tried to get back on the treadmill after I was starting to feel better I had a mild relapse. Definitely not fun!

Continue to watch your food intake and drink lots of water and the weight will continue to come off. Maybe not as quickly as with exercise but I lost 2.4 the first week I was sick. Remember this is about making a healthy you which includes taking care of yourself when you are ill.
  • pinguwings
    Options
    Hold off on the exercise and eat good, nutritious food.

Are you a smoker? Definitely need to stop that right away if you are.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Plenty of fluids and watch your calories and you will still lose even if you are bedridden.

Personal experience is you do not mess around with pneumonia, rest until someone with letters after their name tells you its ok to exercise.

Feel better soon :)
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i have broken my toe twice (same toe) recently and can't do alot and it's kiling me but the thing is you have to heal to be able to do anything. so watch your calories and let your body heal that way when your ready your really ready.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm recently getting over a bout of bronchitis. Not only did I not excercise, I listened to my body when it "told" me what i wanted to eat. I went a little junk happy (I tend to crave bad things when I'm sick because it's the only thing I can taste). I still lost weight - probably because before I took the anti-biotics, I wasn't eating much. Then, I got my appitite back. Plus, all my food was going to help me get well. At least that 's my theory.

Long story short - I would wait, listen to your body, and do what it tells you. A week of being sick is not going to set you back that far.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Get well before exerting yourself. You do not need exercise to lose weight. It does, however, assist in the process AND have a million other benefits. Just stick to your calorie goal and you will continue to lose.
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    Hi,

I had pleurisy over Christmas and honestly the best thing you can do is get some rest. I tried continuing with my workout plan but I struggled a lot and it not only slowed down my recovery time, but also demotivated me. I hated that I was struggling, and it made me question the point in going.

My advice would be to get as much rest as you can, take some time for yourself and get back to 100%. Drink lots of fluids, and give yourself some time to get better. Your health is worth a lot more than weight loss, and in the long term you'll be thankful you've done it.

It took me over 2 months to get better and I'll still only 85% there but it would have taken a lot longer if I'd carried on over-exerting myself.

All the best and feel better soon! x
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had the same situation last spring. You need to give your body a chance to recover. Drink lots of water, and stick to your target calorie limit. Try to make really wise food choices; remember the nealthier your food, the beter it is for your recovery. Once the fever had passed and you can function without going into fits of coughs try adding in some slow yoga moves. Long stretches and controlled breathing will keep you limber. Also, realize that it will a slow process to get back up to your previous work out level, so don't let it get you down. Everyone gets sick (or injured) at some point and you have to listen to your body...don't push it too hard. Feel better!!!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said. Don't try and exert yourself when you are ill as you can exacerbate existing conditions and make yourself even more unwell.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I got bronchitis in late October and it progressed to pneumonia early November. It's mid January now and I'm still sick with sinus issues. I work out when I can and do what I can on the days I'm feeling good, otherwise I just watch my calories and let my body rest and heal itself. Don't try to work out when you're sick, you'll do more harm than good and set yourself back even more. Just listen to your body and it will take care of you.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I had the same situation last spring. You need to give your body a chance to recover. Drink lots of water, and stick to your target calorie limit. Try to make really wise food choices; remember the nealthier your food, the beter it is for your recovery. Once the fever had passed and you can function without going into fits of coughs try adding in some slow yoga moves. Long stretches and controlled breathing will keep you limber. Also, realize that it will a slow process to get back up to your previous work out level, so don't let it get you down. Everyone gets sick (or injured) at some point and you have to listen to your body...don't push it too hard. Feel better!!!
    I totally agree with sandie and if you follow her advice you will be fine ........remember also that the settings for your daily calorie totals are so you can lose weight without excercise anyway so they are only a bonus and gets you fitter and healthier (usually but not wise at your stage of the game).Stay at the calorie allowance and dont under eat as you need the fuel to fight the infection but keep choices healthy as sandie says.
    Really hope you get better soon.
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hold off on the exercise and eat good, nutritious food.

Are you a smoker? Definitely need to stop that right away if you are.

I am not a smoker - I quite smoking in Aug of 2009 - - best thing I ever did for myself.... excluding joining MFP, of course.

we have a puppy at home, so I am trying to take her for walks as long as I can stand to -- that will be it for a little while.

My dr gave me a perscription for a puffer as well as antibiotics...

It sucks being sick.... lmao.