Atkins protein shake as a meal replacement?

Options
Rworthy
Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
Frustrated with my weight loss over the past couple of weeks. I have gained back several pounds lately, so I opted for some Atkins Advantage protein shakes as a meal replacement. I plan on drinking one for breakfast (I haven't been eating breakfast), as well as a shake for lunch if I can manage it. The shakes have only 1 g fiber, so I've also decided to add a serving of Benefiber to my shakes, to boost up fiber and protein in one meal. I haven't been taking fiber, so I think the Benefiber will give me the boost I need, and the shakes are easy, so I don't have to fret over my next meal. I just want to know the community's thoughts on this....good idea/bad idea etc...

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Check out Jay Robb protein shakes as a meal replacement.

The Atkins shake stuff is overly processed an no better than slim fast. I know that Dr. Atkins is rolling in his grave at what Atkins Nutritionals has done to his practice and company.
  • Rworthy
    Options
    What's so bad about Slim FAst? They were on the same shelf next to each other - I was going to buy the SF but saw there were 18 g of sugar compared to 1 in Atkins....I'm just trying to lose weight. I don't care about muscle at this point.
  • Gsgrace
    Options
    Carnation breakfast essentials (instant breakfast) with skim milk as good and lots cheaper.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    What's so bad about Slim FAst? They were on the same shelf next to each other - I was going to buy the SF but saw there were 18 g of sugar compared to 1 in Atkins....I'm just trying to lose weight. I don't care about muscle at this point.

I am not talking about muscle either. I whole idea of losing weight should be to get WHOLE food nutrition and Slim Fast nor the Atkins shakes will provide that.

Slim Fast is full of sugar and other chemicals that will be stored as toxins in the body. The Atkins shakes are more sugar-free, but have artificial sweeteners.

If you are only looking to lose weight and don't care about health, then Atkins is the better of the two.

If you are looking to improve health, along with lose weight, then I recommend neither one and look at a whole foods shake as a meal replacement such as Jay Robb.
  • Danimucc13
    Options
    Hi, I can say that if you eat or intake 30g of protein in the first 30 mins you wake up that will actually help you loose weight and will help you get over the afternoon slump as well. I was watching Dr. Oz the other day. Skipping breakfast is one of the worse things to do. I will start by drinking protein shakes in the morning as well. Good luck with it!
  • Rworthy
    Options
    I tried to eat 30 g of protein - I watched the show also - and gained a pound the next day. Not to mention it was a ton of food to eat first thing. Mine only has 18 g of protein. That'll do.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't think we are talking about LIVING Off of the shakes. I am starting atkins induction next week and it is near impossible to carry chicken breasts and lettuce in my purse when I am running around for work. A shake helps stave off hunger until you can "chew" your protein after you cook it. I don't think ANYONE would even want to just drink 3 shakes a day. ugh.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have at least 25 grams of Protein then skip it. Protein is what keeps you fuller longer and is key to dieting. You have lots of options from powder to premade shakes. Powder suchs as Pure Protein and Jay Robb can be added to cereal, oatmeal, eggs, yogurt, cottage or you can make a shake or smoothie from it. Pre-made shakes such as Premier or Pure Protein and Muscle Milk light are great for on the go.

I do Premier Protein, 30gr protein, 11 oz, 160 calories, 3gr fat, 5gr carbs and 1 gr sugar. Slim Fast, Atkins and Special K cannot match those numbers.

Just be advised when increasing your protein you should also consider increasing your fiber to prevent clogs! A scoop of Benefiber with water will do ya! Also, water is also very important, 64oz a day!
  • geraintf
    geraintf Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Rworthy,
    (I haven't been eating breakfast),

This is where you are going wrong. While you sleep your metabolism slows down, breakfast is important as it kick starts your metabolism in the morning. If you skip breakfast your body will be naturally burning less energy until your lunch.
    I tried to eat 30 g of protein - I watched the show also - and gained a pound the next day. Not to mention it was a ton of food to eat first thing. Mine only has 18 g of protein. That'll do.

Weighing yourself can not always be accurate as at some points you hay have food/water still in your system, you might not of been to the toilet for awhile. Also if your going to make a change to your diet make sure you do it long enough to see what happends (a week or two) and measure the results.
  • rjjarvis
    Options
    I"m using the Atkins protein shakes but also the EAS AdvantEdge Light protein shakes, which have higher protein but also low carbs. I've been on a low carb diet for a while now and have lost maybe 35 pounds, but I am getting very tired of eggs for breakfast and meat for dinner, etc. So I've started having an Atkins shake for breakfast, an Atkins bar now and then during the day, and then a high protein low carb dinner. Maybe another Atkins shake for dessert.

The most important use of the shakes for me is to have them around me at work, in my car and at night, so when I am tempted to reach for something bad, I just drink a shake instead. They are pretty tasty, and sweet, and they curb my appetite. So if I work late, I'll just reach for one and drink it in the car on the way home instead of veering toward McDonalds.

Also the Atkins shakes and bars and little snacks like Slim Jims or olives or nuts can be used as mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks if you want to try to eat 5 meals a day.

I don't think it makes sense to use this stuff as meal replacements for a long period of time, but it is a welcome break from eggs and bacon and cheeseburgers without buns, and steak and chicken, etc., which can become tiring after several weeks. And there is no question that you can stay in ketosis and lose weight with this stuff as long as you stay within the carb limits. I do agree, however, that on balance I would prefer something more natural and without artificial sweeteners.

The convenience factor of just grabbing this in the morning, or during the day, or at night for "dessert" however, cannot be overestimated, especially when you are feeling weak and want to grab for something bad or high carb. I regard these shakes and bars to be good tools in the fight, but don't go overboard with them. Salads, meat, macadamia nuts, some hard cheeses, non-starchy vegetables, etc. should make up the main part of the diet IMHO, and these artificial items should just be accessories that expand the scope of what you can eat from time to time.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Bacon smoothies are good....:flowerforyou:
  • Gashaw67
    Options
    I use Slim Fast low carb when I cant eat breakfast... which happens more than eating breakfast. It has 20g protien, 2g sugar and 2g fiber. I have also used EAS carbcontrol also
  • adesruis
    Options
    I use Shaklee's Cinch protien shake mixed with water. It has 16 grams of protien and only 190 calories. I have it early morning and then have a mid morning snack like a banana or yogurt. Love it. I am definetly less hungry the days I have it.
  • dramalvr325
    Options
    I'm only 15 and as trying to lose weight I've been searching for healthy alternatives around the house and have recently discovered Atkins shakes. I find them to be a great meal replacement for breakfast very low calorie (only 160) and its great for me for mornings because it keeps me full and it's better than not eating breakfast so these shakes get my metabolism going and get a great start to the day. Overall I luv these shakes and think they're great for one meal replacement or snack (they keep me full for around 5-6 hours) but not good for living off of for 3 meals a day.