Yoga with a knee injury?

Options
I really enjoy doing yoga, but I took a nasty fall about 6 months ago and jacked up my left knee. I have some nerve damage and it hurts to kneel...on anything.

Yoga was something my daughter and I did together. I'd REALLY like to get back to it and so would she. Am I SOL or are there modifications I can do?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do a Google search and I'm sure you can find something. I would stay away from warrior poses, but you can certainly do things like triangle, standing forward bend, seated forward bend -- pretty much anything that doesn't require putting pressure on a bent knee, I would think.

Do you have a PT you can consult?
  • missyfus
    Options
    Have you read this NYT article about doing yoga with injuries? You might find it helpful, although there is some controversy about it.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?_r=2
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, which sometimes affects my knees, but I feel like yoga is gentle enough to not exacerbate issues with my joints. For positions that require bent knees, try not bending them as much, concentrate on using the muscles in your thighs and hips to hold your position, and make sure your knee doesn't extend past the foot.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i believe you can do it in moderation i had a shot in my hip and got nerve damage and i get sharp shooting pains in my left hip and leg and i found that doing my zumba workout is physical therapy to my leg and the pain has been getting better, i say try it out and do as much as you can handle it might be a way to work out you knee without the physical therapy price, hope this helped you :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options
    My issue with the NYT article is that ANY exercise not done with proper form can wreck your body. Of course one can get injured doing yoga, but that's why you learn from a qualified, professional instructor and listen to your body's signals.

If you're feeling pain while in a yoga pose, you're either pushing yourself too far or doing it wrong.

I wanted to add to the OP to maybe try gently getting into different poses and see if you feel OK. If you feel pain (not muscle fatigue, but PAIN), then obviously stop. Also, get some bricks and straps so you can do the poses without getting so deeply into them.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I did go to PT - Originally I could barely walk without pain. They helped with that TREMENDOUSLY. Unfortunately, it can't help with the nerve damage part. That just takes time.

I can totally see how someone could injure themselves doing some of the extreme yoga poses - I'm not looking into those though :) Just run of the mill, backwoods, white girl yoga. I find that it helps me relax and improves my flexibility which I need desperately.

Thank you everyone for the input. I will go back and give it a shot. All I can do is try, right? :)
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It is definitely doable! Make sure to find a great instructor who could help you with the modifications....We always have people ion class who are pregnant, have back or sports injuries, and all it requires is a teacher who know what they are doing
  • rml_16
    Options
    I can totally see how someone could injure themselves doing some of the extreme yoga poses - I'm not looking into those though :) Just run of the mill, backwoods, white girl yoga.

You can injure yourself with some of those, too. Nearly every yoga pose except maybe corpse pose has the potential for injury. But if you know what you're doing and listen to your body, you should be OK.
  • catcardoso
    Options
    I'm a yoga instructor and I definitely think that there is some yoga that is accessible for you. Mostly you need to simply listen to your body -- if it hurts, don't do it. If taking a pose to its full expression is too intense, pull back a little. You'll still reap benefits without further injuring yourself. There are many seated poses that are excellent for stretching and relaxation -- forward folds, seated or reclining twists. I would suggest also some simple balance poses like tree but keeping the the lifted foot on the floor rather than bringing up onto the calf. The best thing you can do is build the muscles that support the knee so the Warrior poses are good provide they don't cause pain - just take them as deep as feels right for you.

I think the biggest takeaway from that NYT article is that when yoga, or any activity for that matter, is done aggressively and competitively, an injury can occur. Yoga is all about meeting your body wherever you are in that moment, taking yourself to the sweet edge so you are challenging yourself but not injuring yourself. Ego has no place on the mat.