Looking for members from Texas

Options

Replies

• danajotx
    Options
    I'm in the Austin area - and Tex Mex is my fav!! There is no shortage of great places around here. I just try and eat good during the week so a weekend with a plate of chicken enchiladas and a margarita doesn't send me over the edge :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm moving there! For a little while anyway. Just got a research job before I go to medical school. I can imagine going from New England to Texas will be a bit of a culture shock.
  • EmilyDumont
    Options
    looking for ppl in east texas area! new to this site, area, and weight loss thing:smile:
  • EmilyDumont
    Options
    where at in LA? if you dont mind me asking!
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I live in Austin, Texas!
  • jessikas5
    jessikas5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I live in Saginaw, just outside of Fort Worth. I walk the park by my house and I can smell Texas Pit BBQ, its torture.
  • megaron01
    megaron01 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! I live in the DFW area & it's been tricky tryin' to navigate Tex-Mex & BBQ menus...........so far in restaurant situations I've had some success: in tex-mex joints I've mainly ordered fajitas, but I passed on the chips/rice/beans/tortillas.............in BBQ joints, I've had the lean brisket & ribs w/ corn & vegetables, passing on the beans/potato salad/mac-n-cheese/bread...........it was tough but doable!!
  • beckyepp11
    Options
    I'm in East Texas
  • litag
    litag Posts: 2
    Options
    Welcome fellow Texan!! I know how you feel. I was eating Tex-Mex food at least three times a week until I started MyFitnessPal. It will get better. It is hard in the beginning but once you see the weight going away by just watching your calories it is so worth it.
  • 23saint
    23saint Posts: 11
    Options
    How's it going,i was born and raised in san antonio,but was gone for ten years!(New Orleans,Atlanta,St. Louis,& Chicago) I moved back in 08 and soon found out how much I missed the food! Big Red and Barbacoa on Sundays,but Im in beastmode right now and trying my best to be healthier! Anyone motivated feel free to add me!
  • Browny43
    Browny43 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm from El Paso Texas so living right on the border I know what you mean about mexican food. Tacos, flautas, burritos, tamales, frijoles, arroz, on and on. I haven't been anywhere in Texas that has good Mexican food. Tex Mex and Mexican food are pretty different. I was pretty good during the holidays, I did not have one tamale, and its all about moderation. When eating out or at home, I ask for chicken tacos, with the tortillas warmed not fried and I substitue the rice and beans for salad. Once I started making the changes my body adapted. When ever we eat out now I always think the food is overly salty.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I"m also from El Paso and it's VERY hard to eat healthy here! We've got lots of great Mexican food, but it's doable! I normally only eat out on weekends and when I do I make sure and try to eat as healthy as I can. Sometimes I do indulge, but it is very rare.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    San Antonio here! You're right! We have been voted the fattest city in America, although I hink the honor has now moved on, thank goodness.

I still eat TexMex, but with a few alternatives - corn tortillas instead of flour, borracho beans instead of refried, easy on the queso, flavorful salsas (I like mango salsa) Pork carnitas or fajitas are lower in calories and fat than enchiladas and flautas. Go spicy instead of greasy for flavor! Even guacamole isn't too bad if you don't overdo it.

For the barbeque - leave off the bread, lean brisket or chicken or turkey are really good. Be careful with the sides!
  • klhbekool
    Options
    live in San Antonio
  • klhbekool
    Options
    the fattest city honor has moved on
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im in Portland (just north of Corpus Christi) This area does not know what healthy food is! NO farmers markets, 1 small health food store that takes forever to get to because of traffic! Needless to say, we don’t eat out too much.
  • moniqueborne
    Options
    Originally from Louisiana but now in Texas so the temptation never ends! anyone feel free to add me!
  • dfranco_rr
    dfranco_rr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From a small town outside of corpus christi...Glad i'm not the only one missing mexican food, bbq, & beer! Good luck
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    From a small town outside of corpus christi...Glad i'm not the only one missing mexican food, bbq, & beer! Good luck

What small town....Im in Portland.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Im here, Dallas. :-)