Mixing it up - food confusion

Options
Muscle confusion really works and seems to keep my strength training progress from flatlining. I have been wondering lately if food confusion works the same way? I know from past experience that one meal per week of a reasonable portion size but with higher calories/fat seems to keep my metabolism from the stalemate. Has anyone else experienced this? Aside from the mental benefit of feeling like you're eating "normal" food once in a while and seeing that is doesn't hurt your progress - is there a metabolism benefit or is this just anecdotal? Curious to hear from any nutritionists out there....

Replies

• Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people will tell there is a metabolic difference. The actually science of it is a tadbit murkier.

Google. "Starvation Mode Myth" and draw your own conclusions.

As far as a cheat day...I would say it depends on how long you have been dieting. If it is your first week or month I would say no, a little longer than that I would say a reasonable cheat meal...6 months or longer a reasonable cheat day or a completely off the wall cheat meal.

You didn't gain all your weight in one meal or day so it won't magically reappear, but expect to see 4-5lbs of gain on the scale do to increase sodium intake and water retention associated with such days.