Running schedule--best to skip every other day? Or okay 3 d

Options
I am working up to a 1/2 marathon, currently up to about 7 miles. I've been training 3-4 days a week, making sure to have plenty of healing/recovery time between runs, and only do 1 long run per week. I've seen so many training schedules out there, I wonder which amount of recovery time is best?

I just found a schedule here http://www.halfmarathons.net/training_tips_schedule_beginner_runners.html that I like, but it's a 5 day per week schedule. Is it okay to run that many days/week? Or is it best to stick with 3-4 days/week, and fill in with low impact cardio on other days? I'm 38, and want to be kind to my joints for the long haul, while training for runs.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. There is nothing wrong with running 5 even 6 days a week for some people. Others do better on less days.
  • ryansmom33
    ryansmom33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. There is nothing wrong with running 5 even 6 days a week for some people. Others do better on less days.

Yep I completely agree with this.

if you can do 5 days and be injury free then go for it. If not, keep to the schedule you've been doing.