Gym Shoes?

Options
I just joined the Y. Never been a member of a gym in my life.

I was wondering if there's a particularly common recommended brand of training shoe to go for? Is there anything specific to look for in a gym shoe? Gel soles? Breathability?

Thanks!

Replies

• shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I find myself much more motivated to work out when I'm in a room full of other people working out. Something about having a specific place to go, where the only goal is exercise. I love the structure of it, I hope it works for you too!

I have always had New Balance shoes, and LOVE them. Mine are pretty lightweight running shoes, very cushiony and breathable. Any decent shoe store should be able to point you in the right direction though. Don't be afraid to try on everything in the store until you find the right fit. There's amazing variety in athletic shoes, I would recommend doing some research then hitting the stores!

Good luck :-)
  • lohitverma
    lohitverma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I recently bought myself a Sketchers resistance trainers, and am very happy with them, give me lots of cushion for heels and it helps on the treadmill or walking , light jogging
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the way that New Balance or Puma fits me. Being that you need to change your shoes every few months, I don't think features really matter. Choose something attractive that you can afford.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I love the YMCA. I wear Nikes but I'm not a hardcore exerciser except in water.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    with weight lifting, i have found that the less cushoning you have, the better your form is. i'm starting to wear the vibrams, and its great because my feet stay perfectly flat on the ground for deadlifts and squats.
  • strategyaday
    Options
    It really depends what you are doing. If you are lifting free weights (squat, deadlift, etc) do not buy shoes with cushion. This has the potential to cause injury, and makes your workout more difficult than it needs to be. Wrestling shoes are very good for lifting weights. Myself, I wear a pear of Pumas with a flat sole and a tight fit around my foot.

At the end of the day, remember it's not what you put ON but what you put INto your workout that will dictate your success. Kudos to you for joining a gym, and best of luck!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    with weight lifting, i have found that the less cushoning you have, the better your form is. i'm starting to wear the vibrams, and its great because my feet stay perfectly flat on the ground for deadlifts and squats.

Flat shoes for leg days are definitely the way to go. Your shoe needs are going to be driven by your gym goals and your workout.

Everyone is slightly different.

I LOVE my Reebok Real Flex for pretty much everything, though I think a flatter trainer, would be more beneficial for some lifts.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Choose something attractive that you can afford.

This! I got cheapo ($10) danskin sneakers from walmart. They are awesome. I've had them for about 6 months. The bottoms are starting to smooth out (I do elliptical/treadmill/running 5+ times a week and use them as my everyday sneaker). I'll have to get a new pair soon, but hey, they were only $10! I would be kicking myself if I had spent a fortune and they were starting to wear out (which they will inevitably do).

ETA: I do most of my free weight work at home and don't wear shoes! lol I'm only doing light weights though to they won't crush my toes or anything.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the shape of your foot, what you want to do, and what surface you want to do it on. And budget, of course. Just starting at a gym, I'd say to hit a regular shoe store and try on everything, jump around in them, walk, jog, etc. Find one you like and try it for a few months, then see where you are. You'll have a better idea then as to what you really enjoy, and a better idea of what you need in a shoe. Thing about shoes is that they can call themselves whatever they want, but their fitness for use is all about how it works on your foot and for your body.

Once you get into your workout groove, I'd highly recommend going to a running store or a specialty sports shoe store, one of the small ones, that will spend time with you and actually *talk*. I got some Brooks Glycerins last year and needed small inserts in the arch to get them to fit just right - they can't do that for you at a regular shoe store.

Good luck, and well done joining a gym! Happy sweating!
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shira. Try on everything if you have to. My friend, Derrick, swears my Asics, but they don't work for me and my extra wide foot. You need what feels right to you. It all depends on what kind of shoes you want (i.e. running, cross training).

Cushioning is more important in a running shoe because of the continuous pounding. If you go with a cross trainer, look for something relatively even front to back. When doing leg exercises such as squats, you want your feet s flat as possible to keep excess stress off your knees. Most gyms frown upon lifting barefoot like Arnold liked to do.
    Good luck finding what works for you.
  • JustLena75
    Options
    I love working out in lightweight running shoes. I bought some Adidas when I decided to start training to do a half marathon. Never got around to it...but the shoes are serving me very well!!!
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Try many different kinds. It all depends on what you want/what your goals are and the shape of your foot. If there is a local running store or club, talk with someone. They know a lot about shoes and can discuss your goals. Some stores will even analyze your stride for free and tell you a bit about your movement and footfall to help you with choosing the right shoe.

Make sure you dont' wait too long to get a new pair. You can really hurt yourself by wearing broken shoes too much. If you're going to be doing alot of impact/running/dancing/elliptical make sure you try and keep track of the milage you put on your shoes.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I had a nice pair of new balance shoes once, the last time I bought shoes I got avia shoes and I love them. I just usually buy whatever is on clearance at khols and feels good.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

You're SMART
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

You're SMART

Says the girl that owns 42 pairs of vibrams
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OMG I am all for the Vibram sneakers! I actually have a pair of Adidas Adipures. I don't think I'll ever use normal running shoes again. Look into them if you aren't sure what I'm talking about. They are sneakers that are made for barefoot training. no padding at the bottom or anything. They are a little funny looking but they are absolutely amazing!!