How to keep the sugar down?!?!!

Options
Okay so I am having no trouble eating within my calorie, fat, carbs, etc parameters. However when it comes to sugar I just can't seem to stay within the limits. The biggest problem is that I am highly allergic to most artificial sweeteners. Anything with nutra sweet is off limits for me!! I can use splenda and I do sometimes but the idea of chemical sugars is kind of a turn off. I usually have 2-3 fruits a day examples (strawberries, cuties, grapes etc) and that combined with the low sugar numbers in regular foods end up adding up. So is there a difference between sugar from fruit and processed sugar, should I not be as worried about that? Any real info would be helpful!

Also I know there are a few things high in sugar that I shouldn't be having and I know I need to cut those out!! I'm working on it, but even if I take those things out of my equation I'm still over on sugar :(

Replies

• gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey, you know weight watchers allows any amount fresh fruits without costing points on their plan, so that tells me that fruits are probably a better source of sugar and that the extra fiber and nutrients in fresh fruits is important and that eating them has a better net effect on your metabolism. I am trying to limit my carbs, and it is really tough to keep it below 20/day like the Atkins induction phase-I started 3 days ago and find it difficult.
  • mrichternh
    mrichternh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I tend to be over in sugar every day. I do wonder how much of an impact this makes while trying to lose weight.
  • ctchc28
    Options
    Thanks guys... I don't ADD extra sugar to anything, but it can add up in food. I never realized how much sugar is in stuff!! I'm not supposed to go over 35g of sugar. I think today I may actually end up being under so fingers crossed.
  • jaimec25
    Options
    I'm discovering this same problem. I went back and checked my foods and realized the real culprit for me was my nonfat yogurt. I'm not sure whether that will impact my weight loss or not.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Analysing your diary is a good idea. Look back over the last week. Identify for each day what one thing was the biggest culprit. Is there a pattern? Could you cut that thing out/ down?
  • ctchc28
    Options
    YES I bought light yogurt with granola... then realized it has 19g of sugar?!? I have them sitting in the fridge now, and afraid to eat them haha. I did analyze my food diary this morning and well obviously there were things to cut out ie Nutella!! However some things I have so I can actually hit my calorie goals because if not I will end up under. MFP put me at a 1730 calorie goal ( I can't hit that and eat healthy... it just doesn't happen!!). So I lowered it to 1350. I think what I really need to do is visit a dietitian!!
  • rsolomonuk
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. Try to have low sugar fruits like Blueberries or Raspberries. I also have tried having veg like cucumber or carrots instead of an apple or banana some days.

And remember when you exercise that gives you more of a sugar allowance for that particular day.

10286886.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter