30-day shred too hard for over 50 women?

Options
I saw that Jillian's 30-day shred DVD from 2008 is on sale at Amazon.com

Is this too hard for me?

I am 6 feet tall, 202 lbs. 51 years old. I am getting back in shape, but still pretty much in lousy shape.

I walk on a treadmill at 3.1 to 3.5 mph. I can jog at 4.5 mph for a minute or two top before my heart rate goes through the roof.
I work out on the strength training machines at the gym for about 20 to 25 mins. 3 days a week since Nov. 19 and am really beginning to feel some improvement in my overall fitness and strength, but obviously have a long way too go.

I like Denise Austin and Leslie Sansone walking DVDs.

Replies

• christyc730
    christyc730 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 35. I can run for an hour with no problem, but the 30-Day Shred kicks my butt. My muscles are usually sore for a couple of days until I get used to it again. But nothing tones my arms and leg muscles faster.

I must say, though, that I find it very hard on the joints. I have a nine-year-old ankle injury and the jumping (esp. in levels 2 and 3) is really tough on me, even with the lower impact modifications. If you have any knee issues, this is probably not the workout for you.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

My knees are remarkably good, but I do have hip joint pain, so I think I will let that bargain go unpurchased.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It is able to be modified and has 3 levels. Start at 1 and see how it goes. It is a great workout for all levels
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 50 yrs old, 5' 4" currently weigh 225. So I am heavier than you. I started doing the 30DS in September and gave up after 6 days with a break in between. I started again on Nov 30th and have almost completed it. (Did Level 3 for 6 days, took a break of almost a week as I had guests at home and restarted 3 days ago. It is hard. Especially the skipping, jumping jacks all were very difficult in the beginning. I just kept moving by jogging or marching in place. I have to say that by level three I can do about 80% of the tape at Beginner's level. Just pace yourself, you dont have to do it perfectly. That too will come in time. Watch out your knees though. I refuse to do any move that might seem dangerous to me. I have found that my stamina has increased, I have lost inches and lbs too. But i am also doing additional cardio of about 45 mts every day and 2 Zumba classes per week. I do not have any heart condition or knee issues. I guess the excess weight limits jump moves. I found level two very difficult and improvised to suit me. Hope this helps. Oh I also walk on a treadmill at pretty much your pace.