Breakfast...

Options
We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day but im struggling to find a decent breakfast that is varied throughout the week. Im not actually sure how much i should be having either...
What does everyone have for breakfast???

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day but im struggling to find a decent breakfast that is varied throughout the week. Im not actually sure how much i should be having either...

Well, it isnt the most important really. It's just like any other. There is nothing inherently good or bad about having it. If it helps you make better food choices and reduces your cravings, then go for it! If it doesn't, or you don't get cravings, then its just more calories.

I personally skip it, so i can have those calories late at night when i actually want them! :D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of chocolate soy milk. (1 Cup unsweetened Silk Soy Milk and 1 Tbsp reduced sugar Hershey's syrup). 103 calories.
  • christ4life63
    christ4life63 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a Special K Bar...
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I usually stick around 200-300 calories for breakfast.

For breakfast I sometimes make an omelette with 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, with very little cheese and a good amount of veggies. Sometimes I put salsa on top and make a sort of Mexican omelette.
    I have oatmeal alot too, and if you like oatmeal there are alot of threads on here about different ways to make it.
    Cereals tend to leave me hungry about an hour later, even the Kashi or high fiber ones.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    English muffin with full fat cream cheese and a whey shake.

Greek mix:
    1 cup greek yogurt plain
    1/4 cup steel cut oats in the bottom
    1/2 cup fruit of your choice

The trick with breakfast is getting in appx 30g protein to keep your hunger in check for the rest of the day.
    Youll also want to mix in a good complex carb and a small simple carb.

After 2 hours hit a bag of almonds to take you to lunch.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Meal frequency and how many calories you eat per meal is a personal preference. If you are hungry in the morning and find a large breakfast keeps you full by all means eat it, but if you aren't hungry in the morning there's not reason to eat breakfast just for the sake of eating breakfast
  • shelbeyfaye
    Options
    Multigrain Cheerios....1 Cup with Skim Milk. I love them and it is so easy in the morning (Which is important when you are a mom). Sometimes I throw in a banana. :)
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have two Weetabix biscuits, 4 strawberries, 1/3 c. blueberries with milk, then my bad: coffee with flavored creamer... abt 1/2 way to lunch...10 toasted, raw almonds. Dr. Oz says that Sumo wrestlers skip breakfast so that they are so hungry later, they overeat....I keep that in mind....eating breakfast within an hour of getting up.
  • danger8
    danger8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have always been under the impression that a good breakfast increases the motabolism for the day, if thats not the case perhaps I wont worry about it as much.

Today i had 2 rashers of weightwatchers bacon (35 cal each) in a muffin and some apple juice. Sometimes oats and orange juice.
    Just wondering about other breakfast ideas.
    Thanks for the replies!
  • Beki_87
    Beki_87 Posts: 14
    Options
    Breakfast is indeed very important in kickstarting your metabolism as you've not eaten since your dinner the night before. And if you then wait until lunch or later in the day to eat then your body is more likely to store that food as fat as it believes it's in starvation mode. I eat porridge for breakfast, and have frozen fruit which I defrost in the microwave and add to it- cherries, strawberries, blueberries etc- gets in 1 of your 5 a day as well! :) If you're looking to cut back on carbs then go for a fruit smoothie or an omelette instead maybe?
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    B'fast for me for the last 2 days has been one cup of coffee + 1 packet of quaker oats with apples and cinnamon + 3 egg whites... which totals up to about 338 calories...

I always end up having a heavy breakfast, keeps me going till my mid morning snack at 11AM...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is indeed very important in kickstarting your metabolism as you've not eaten since your dinner the night before. And if you then wait until lunch or later in the day to eat then your body is more likely to store that food as fat as it believes it's in starvation mode.

::SIGH::

That is a load of BS and not supported by studies
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is indeed very important in kickstarting your metabolism as you've not eaten since your dinner the night before. And if you then wait until lunch or later in the day to eat then your body is more likely to store that food as fat as it believes it's in starvation mode.

::SIGH::

That is a load of BS and not supported by studies

Oh...i was expecting more bashing here...LOL

OP..I get hungry in the morning, so I try to kickstart with some protein. I mix protein powder into my coffee and sip my breakfast, then when I eventually get hungry a couple hours later I have oatmeal or something.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I eat berries for breakfast. With oatmeal, greek yogurt or as a smoothie with banana and spinach. Oh and along side a Chapati with nutella. With greek yogurt is my favorite!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My very favorite (and I have it sometimes as a snack) 1/3 cup old fashion oats prepared thin with 1 tsb peanut butter (or better yet, PB2) touch of cinnamon and vanilla - sweeted to taste with sevia. Tast like a warm peanut butter, oatmeal cookie to me. Very nice. ")
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Not the best first post...

It doesn't kickstart you metabolism at all. It only stores as fat if you are eating a calories excess and not using it to build muscle. Starvation mode takes several days of eating a very low calorie diet to even start to kick in.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast. My body wants something. I usually eat between 200 - 400 for breakfast, if I can. I mix it up with oatmeal, english muffins, peanut butter, smoothie, waffle and berries, ham egg cups etc.

I used to eat cereals every morning, but they weren't doing enough for me.
    I try to have a fiber/protein breakfast and less carbs than I was with my high fiber cereal.

I've noticed a difference in a lot of ways, since I've changed my breakfast routine! :bigsmile:
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I skip breakfast a lot... not taking in my first meal until 12:30 or later, and I am usually more energetic on those days where I start out with just a couple liters of water and nothing else.

That being said, today I had breakfast. I had a bosc pear, a gala apple, a serving of fiber one original cereal with 1/2 c. almond milk, and a greek yogurt. It was yummy.

Other breakfasts I'll have include a breakfast burrito (diced red pepper, turkey sausage, egg white, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin all scrambled up inside a high fiber/low carb tortilla), a bowl of oatmeal (pumpkin pie oatmeal, oatmeal with peanut butter, oatmeal with apples and almonds, whatever I feel like that day), a double portion of fiber one original with strawberries or blueberries... sometimes just a greek yogurt... or whatever else I may feel like. lol
  • AndrewZki
    Options
    I'm with Laura. I find that a 1/4 cup of egg whites with a little cheese and maybe some mushrooms mixed in at breakfast keeps me from getting hungry till lunch.

Alternatively, I also combine Vegegreens and fish oil (orange flavoured) with Skim Milk, and it has enough to keep me going till mid-late morning. Either option for breakfast is usually between 200 and 260 Cal.
  • SusieQ535
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just started this site yesterday. I need some good ideas for breakfasts also. I don't have time to eat at home before work, so it has to be something I can eat at work at a highly visible desk/cubicle. We have a refridgerator and microwave. A cup of coffee and 2 poptarts are my norm but I need to change that and add some protien. Any suggestions?