Breakfast ideas

Options
Can anyone help suggest a "better" breakfast I could be having? I'm currently eating Special K with Red Berries and skimmed milk but I know it's not a particularly good thing to eat nutrition wise. I don't like porridge or oats, or eggs and I have my breakfast at work where we only have a microwave and kettle in the kitchen. Can anyone help?

Replies

• shellzster86
    shellzster86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ditto, i also need some advise on this too. I am having 2 cereal bars which are low in calories but aren't very filling.
    I have a daughter and do the school run in the morning so i usually have my breakfast at work too.

xx
  • inkleberry75
    Options
    Weight watchers smart ones breakfast egg muffin.....good idea...bowl of sugar free maple oatmeal with blue berries.....get the kind high in fiber...fiber is a filler.......and satiates hunger. Go outside the box....today i am eating a garden burger for breakfast.....have a fiber one bar with a hard boiled egg...all healthy....loaded with fiber and protein!
  • __Ang__
    __Ang__ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A smoothie is a good option you can make at home and drink on the way.

I have different smoothies i make here is my Cherry mocha smoothie

1 cup almond milk (60cal)
    1c frozen pitted cherries (100Cal)
    1/2 scoop Maxpro whey protein @17g protein (65cal )
    1 packet nescafe instant coffee (0 cal)
    1 T Hersheys special dark cocoa powder (10cal)
    Blend and enjoy
    total Calories 235
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter and sliced banana (add a glass of milk for more protein)
    Whole grain toast with mashed avocado spread on it
    Smoothies (possibilities are endless)
    Yogurt, plain or with fruit of your choice
    Cottage cheese, plain or with fruit
  • Pughey
    Pughey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've taken to having a slimfast shake most mornings cos they're quick and easy when I'm running round trying to get the kids ut the house and me off to work. Surprised at how much it fills me up actually. BUT I always have a box of Golden Syrup Oats So Simple at work in case I forget or don't fancy a shake. Plus it makes for a great late afternoon snack. If I'm going to the gym in the evening I can't eat my dinner until late so porridge at 4.30pm is yummy and fills the gap until I can eat after the gym.
  • jasperoak
    Options
    Switch to a higher protein cereal and try mixing with a low fat yogurt and some fruit. Costco had Smart Life protein bars on sale which I find on the run fill you up for the whole morning. If your breakfast is working just add some real fruit to it. I see lots of smoothie recipes being offered by your many supporters so that is fantastic!
  • clare07866
    clare07866 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm having the same problem with breakfast. i can't stomach much in a morning and i'm trying to cut down on the amount of bread i eat. Not a big fan of cereal or eggs. Need something quick easy and light? Suggestions please?
  • chillywhilly
    Options
    Having the same problem.. Im also eat my breakfast work and need some ideas.Not happy with how many calories I have remaining after my breakfast;(
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I stick to the same old boring breakfasts. Oatmeal packet or yougurt and fruit.
  • washington_apple
    washington_apple Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm with you in trying to find good breakfast ideas. Lately I've been eating organic peanut butter on a toasted whole wheat muffin and a piece of fresh fruit and that keeps me filled thru lunch. I also love yogurt but don't eat it all the time due to the high sugar content in the ones I like. Greek is good tho and i believe lower in sugar. I keep cereal bars in my car and at work for when I'm starving to keep me from overeating at my next meal or running thru a drive-thru and eating junk.
  • llrichards
    Options
    I have given up on carbs only for breakfast, unless you want to be hungry again in half an hour! The truth is that protein keeps you filled up wayyyy longer and I feel like I have more energy. Protein and fiber is what I have found to be a good combination. The best breakfast really are eggs because they contain protein and 20 amino acids that the body needs. A lot of people worry about the cholesterol in eggs. The truth is your body determines the amount of cholesterol, some people just produce less or way more than necessary, so getting it from food is not really going to affect your natural cholesterol levels. I mean of course you shouldn't be eating foods high in fat, but the benefits of eggs outweigh the cons. Although, they do say to eat no more than 7 per week. (This information was provided to me via my college Anatomy and Physiology II teacher when we were studying nutrition).
    Egglands Best eggs are "fortified" with omega 3 fatty acids so those are even better, nutritionally speaking. Plus eggs are so versatile, my favorites:
    - eggs over easy with a high fiber english muffin (calories = 235)
    - scrambled eggs with vegetable chili, or salsa, and <1/4 cup part skim mozzarella (soooo good! calories = 400)
    - breakfast sandwich: 1 egg, turkey sausage link(s), 1/4-1/2 slice american cheese on a fiber english muffin (calories = 350-400)

If you still are worried about the cholesterol in eggs, have a bowl of oatmeal with an egg, that should help since oatmeal lowers cholesterol and contains fiber! :)

If you just don't like eggs, there's always Greek Yogurt, which has like 10-15 grams of protein in 6 ounces or so. I buy stevia, natural zero calorie sweetener, instead of Splenda, add that to a cup of plain Greek yogurt with some cinnamon, and then it tastes like the filling to a cinnamon roll. Mmmmm!

Best of luck, I hate getting stuck in food ruts myself :P
  • mriricat23
    mriricat23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I want to try some breakfast recipes from her site... every recipe is "skinny" and she even calculates WW points, new and old, for you! While I havent tried any breakfast recipes yet all of the others that I have tried are AMAZING!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-breakfast-recipes.html
  • llrichards
    Options
    Ahh I'm sorry! I missed the part where you said you didn't like eggs, whoops! There are plenty of ways to jazz up greek yogurt, I've even made blueberry pancakes out of Greek yogurt (protein-packed carbs!) I make them ahead of time, put them in the fridge, and microwave them throughout the week to save time. There are several recipes out there, so here's just one:

3/4 cup old fashioned oats
    2 egg whites
    1 6 oz container Greek yogurt

I add a little stevia and some cinnamon to sweeten them up and cover the tangy yogurt taste, but I tend to have an insatiable sweet tooth! :)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    -Fruit smoothies are a good option to make at home before you leave-
    - Whole grain toast
    - Yogurt (light nonfat 80 calories)
    - Bananas or other pieces of fruit
    - Eggo waffles. They are only 95 calories for one and is a good change of pace from toast everyday
    - Eggs
    - Applesauce

And nobody says you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. Have a grilled chicken breast prepared the night before or even a salad, or cottage cheese, or nuts.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I like smoothies and I have made them before so will definitely try that. I'm also going to try greek yougurt- I have been eating "diet" yougurt but couldn't believe how much sugar is in them!
  • lindsay6694
    Options
    oatmeal!! you can do so much with it. also poached eggs over toast....or toast with all natural peanut butter