Spinning

Options
I just joined MFP last week and am looking to lose the last few pounds of baby weight - my son is 10 months old. I've been going to the gym for a few months and go when I can according to how my son is doing. I've been wanting to do a spinning class forever and today the stars finally aligned and I was able to go and do a class! I LOVED it! It was so hard but I am feeling awesome afterwards. Anyone else like spinning? I thought it would be just a great workout for your legs and butt but I can feel it everywhere!

Replies

• valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am the same I love spinning! everything wobbles a bit but it wobbles off definately the most effective excercise for me, though none of my friends like it and all refuse to go. Best of luck with the baby weight you will get there!
  • Roly59
    Roly59 Posts: 21
    Options
    I started spinning last Thursday and have managed 4 classes to date. I am really unfit and my stamina is low. I can't say that I love it but have got better in just 4 classes. There are only 6 in our class (well we are in rural France) and everyone seems to be improving
  • Beenszter
    Beenszter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We have spinning classes at our gym, i'm just to chicken to go to them, don't think i will be able to do it.... I'm about 50 pounds overweight, i know it will be good for me to do it as i need to loose weight on my butt and thighs but just to damn afraid for some silly reason....
  • Roly59
    Roly59 Posts: 21
    Options
    Don't be I'm 52 yrs old, 20 kilos overweight and haven't done any high impact for nearly 20 years. If I can you can. Any instructor worth their salt will tell you to listen to your body and just try not to compete with the others. I was told 5 sessions and it clicks. I've done 4 and it is.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I only took one spinning class and it thoroughly kicked my rump. It's so weird how different exercises can do that to you. I mean, I can play two hours of racquetball and feel fine, but just five minutes into that spinning class, and I wanted to sneak outta the room and hope nobody noticed.

I definitely wanna try it again sometime. If for nothing else, just to mix up my cardio with something different. My gym offers free classes all the time...I've just gotta check the schedule and make it happen.
  • mikituba
    Options
    I LOVE SPINNING! It's so much fun! However I feel whenever the class is done I just want it to keep going lol
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I love spinning!
    I'm a runner so that is my first choice for exercise but I take spinning 1-2 times a week as my cross training. It usually kicks my butt every single time.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    We have spinning classes at our gym, i'm just to chicken to go to them, don't think i will be able to do it.... I'm about 50 pounds overweight, i know it will be good for me to do it as i need to loose weight on my butt and thighs but just to damn afraid for some silly reason....
    Don't be afraid...everyone needs to start somewhere..you can do it! Spinning is hard, but its fun!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of spinning & do 1-3 classes a week. Have been doing it for 3 years this year & it totally kick started my fitness!!! It has also helped me with my running, normal cycling & skiing in terms of leg strength!!

Hope you have many more spins ahead of you & good luck with losing the weight!!! :flowerforyou:
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed spinning and I'm 100 pounds overweight. A great, motivating workout! No need to be afraid - the instructors I had were all very helpful with getting the bike set up right and encouraging me to go at my own pace. You go to exertion levels and by doc's orders I'm not allowed to push it as far as the instructors. They don't care. They just want you to keep coming back because they know it's good for you.

Right now, the schedule doesn't work for me, but once it does, I'll be back!! :)
  • ukjake3
    ukjake3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We have a 5:30 am class that I try to make it to every day before i go to work. It is a huge deal to me, as I have to be up at 4:30 to eat & get there in time to get signed up. The classes are generally pretty full. I feel so much better all day long on the days that I go, just feel like i've accomplished something by the time most are getting out of bed!
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Heidi! Do it...it will take more than one time, so don't give up and wear the padded bike shorts! Love your profile pic and use that phrase to remind me not to reward myself with food!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I use to spin 6 days a week (I kept track of how many kilometers I put in and I would average 200 km a week).

Spin is what you make of it... you go at your own pace when you're a newbie (do what you can - you will improve in no time) It doesn't matter how much weight you have to lose, strap on your HRM and enjoy the ride!

I recommend cycling shoes, it just makes a good spin class great. It makes you stable and secure on the pedal and they minimize strain on the ball of your foot. You will learn to become more efficiant with your pedal stroke (giving you more power).
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It s an awesome workout. Hope the stars align so youre able to stick with it reguarly.
  • scm7mr
    scm7mr Posts: 14
    Options
    I've just got back into spin and you are all correct, it hurts. But then you feel so much more energetic throughout the day. I love it and i've noticed my fitness levels going up at a rate of knots.

Keep with it, the pain will be worth it in the end.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Heidi! Do it...it will take more than one time, so don't give up and wear the padded bike shorts! Love your profile pic and use that phrase to remind me not to reward myself with food!
    Thanks...but it wasn't me who was afraid..I was quoting another poster. I love spinning and all biking in general.

By the way..if anyone has access to an Expresso bike in their gym..that thing is AMAZING! Its interactive (like a video game) and much more like actually riding outdoors. I blew through 30 minutes at the gym this morning before I even knew it and was sweating my butt off...very fun!