Safe to eat salmon every day?

Options
ADobs
ADobs Posts: 160 Member
Hi everyone, I recently became a pescatarian (about a year now) and have been eating salmon (burgers) pretty much every day (6/7 days of the week) and was just wondering if this is safe and what people's thoughts are on this? I have been eating this way for about 6 months now.

I know that people say be careful of fish because of the mercury content but I also know that salmon has some of the lowest mercury content out there.

I know I will have to cut it out soon or at least cut it way down as we are planning on trying for a baby in the next little while, but I just want to hear from people as to how healthy/unhealthy eating salmon every day is.

Thanks!

EDIT: *the kind that I eat are Alaskan salmon burgers the the ingredients are: Pink and/or Keta Salmon, Water, Canola Oil, Contains 2% or less of: Lemon Juice, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, White Pepper, Spice, Sea Salt, Color Added, Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vegetable Extractives, Natural Flavor. Parfried In Soybean Or Canola Oil.
Contains: Fish (Pink and/or Keta Salmon)*

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat fish when trying to have a baby? I am child free so ignorant about such things. I know raw fish is a no-no, but cooked? I don't see the problem in low mercury fish (tuna is a whole 'nother story).

As long as the salmon isn't farm raised, I don't see an issue. Also, you might want to try making your own burgers from wild caught salmon in a can. It won't have the fake ingredients, like food dyes or "natural flavors" (which really aren't natural). You could make up a big batch at once and freeze them.
  • ADobs
    Options
    Why can't you eat fish when trying to have a baby? I am child free so ignorant about such things. I know raw fish is a no-no, but cooked? I don't see the problem in low mercury fish (tuna is a whole 'nother story).

As long as the salmon isn't farm raised, I don't see an issue. Also, you might want to try making your own burgers from wild caught salmon in a can. It won't have the fake ingredients, like food dyes or "natural flavors" (which really aren't natural). You could make up a big batch at once and freeze them.

Well I have always heard that when you're at least pregnant you have to limit your fish intake because of the mercury, and I even read the same for when you're trying to get pregnant.

I just like these becuase they're fast, don't have that many horrible ingredients and they're low calorie. I should start making my own. I bet it would be cheaper too.
  • floatymonkey
    floatymonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wild Alaskan Salmon is very low in mercury and safe for daily consumption. I wouldn't eat any other salmon regularly but am fine with eating Wild Alaskan a few times a week.
  • ADobs
    Options
    Wild Alaskan Salmon is very low in mercury and safe for daily consumption. I wouldn't eat any other salmon regularly but am fine with eating Wild Alaskan a few times a week.

Thanks, that's what I have been hearing/reading. Was just curious to see if anyone else ate fish as often as I do and what they think.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think salmon in general you're supposed to really just have 3-4 days a week but I imagine there's less actual salmon in the salmon burgers (mixed with other stuff) so I think it should be okay. Don't get sick of it too fast though!
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    I eat salmon nearly every day as well. I'm not sure what kind of salmon burgers you're buying, but the best kind of salmon to eat are wild-caught from Alaska. It has the lowest mercury concentrations and is also one of the most sustainable fisheries. :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The ingredients do not indicate that this is wild salmon. If I were thinking of getting pregnant soon, I would definitely not eat farmed salmon that often.
  • ADobs
    Options
    I eat salmon nearly every day as well. I'm not sure what kind of salmon burgers you're buying, but the best kind of salmon to eat are wild-caught from Alaska. It has the lowest mercury concentrations and is also one of the most sustainable fisheries. :)

yay so glad to hear someone eats it every day like I do! I'm not sure how to find out how the salmon is caught? if it says Alaskan salmon, is it safe to assume it's caught in Alaska?
  • ADobs
    Options
    The ingredients do not indicate that this is wild salmon. If I were thinking of getting pregnant soon, I would definitely not eat farmed salmon that often.

yeah I'm not sure how to figure out how it's caught?
  • melsinct
    Options
    yeah I'm not sure how to figure out how it's caught?

What brand are they?
  • ADobs
    Options
    QF_SF13.jpg
  • melsinct
    Options
    You're good!

"Trident Seafoods' Alaska Salmon Burger satisfies your hunger with a lean, moist, meaty and flavorful salmon patty. It is made with the finest wild, ocean-caught, deep skinned Alaska Salmon, blended with a secret recipe of herbs and spices, resulting in a most flavorful burger."
  • ADobs
    Options
    You're good!

"Trident Seafoods' Alaska Salmon Burger satisfies your hunger with a lean, moist, meaty and flavorful salmon patty. It is made with the finest wild, ocean-caught, deep skinned Alaska Salmon, blended with a secret recipe of herbs and spices, resulting in a most flavorful burger."

yay! thanks! I feel a bit better knowing exactly what I'm eating now, especially since I eat it daily!