Is is bad to go over your Daily Protein??

Options
Very new to this site and I am guessing that it's ok to go over in the protein intake rather than, sugars, or fats???

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    NO - it's actually better IMO if more of your diet is protein. Less blood sugar swings = less hunger, less moody.
  • Kateinprogress
    Options
    I actually think you SHOULD go over! I ALWAYS have more than 70 grams of protein, usually 80-90 so I completely ignore the protein listing here. Protein not only helps your body recover+ run better but it keeps you full longer and gives you lasting energy. :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no..if you are highly active it is suggested by the usda that you intake more protein than the recommended amount of 60gs
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've changed my settings so that my protein goal is much much higher. IMO, MFP sets it very low. <3 protein!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    yes, I'm almost always over my protein intake. I wondered the same thing! I'm assuming it's not bad,as long as I'm within my caloric goal? BTW I'm always low on my fat intake, which I assume is good but I wonder if I should be eating more healthy fats???
  • healthbunny
    Options
    I agree the protein intake is far to low! I used this site to determine how much I should be eating http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbprotein.htm . I know it's a body building site but it has lots of options depending on what your goals are, I used the dieting one.

Yogibella I eat a mainly 'clean' diet and go slightly over my fats because I include foods like flax seed, nuts and avocado. I'm not really that bothered because lost 22lbs (160-138) before joining MFP and I was eating a lot more nuts and food with healthy fat in it. However, I may have lost more weight if I has eaten less fat. Have a search on google there are quite a few articles like this one http://www.womensabworkout.com/flat_stomach_diet/eat-fat-lose-weight-the-benefits-of-good-fat-in-your-diet/ :)
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ^^thanks healthbunny. I do love my nuts, nut butters, avocado, etc. and I do try and eat more of them ....but I just hate losing my calories to fats. Otherwise, I eat 'clean' also. I checked out the bodybuild site but I wonder if it pertains to a short woman like me?
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!!