Shoveling Snow?

Options
Do you guys log when you shovel snow? I noticed it in the data base but wondered what you did?

Replies

• Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I don't bother if there's just a light dusting but if there's feet of snow, I sure do. It can take me a good 40 or so minutes and I go from freezing when I start to burning up before I'm done. It really does burn the calories, especially when there's so much. May as well count it!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well I just did about 15 minutes of it and am out of breath and arms are like jello so I am logging it. Snow is heavy too. I wanted to go longer but my husband wants to use the plow and snow blower. :bigsmile:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It is very similar to digging dirt, it uses your whole body and is definitely loggable.
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, this can be a harder workout than some of my dvd's
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Absolutly!
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes, as I have been very sedentary the last year or two! I sweat, get out of breath, & my lower back sure feels it, & it gets my heart pumping faster! Sounds like a caedio to me! Ha, ha ,ha!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If I'm out there for more than 15 minutes and breaking a sweat, then yes. I'm workin' that snow and calories! :laugh:
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ohh, I didn't even think about logging it! I'll be doing plenty of that when I get home from work today!
  • djdelano
    Options
    Fully agree, log shoveling for sure

When I shovel snow I make sure to engage my thigs, quads, and calfs as well.

Do a mini-squat to get the snow in the shovel, keep your knees bent and concentrate on keeping your
    abs tightened slightly when you eject the snow.

Do that for 20+ minutes and you just did a NICE core workout.

I have to shovel a 200 sq-ft deck over a 4 ft railing. everytime it snows, living in maine you bet I log that stuff.

-D
  • wannagofast27
    Options
    Wish I had snow to log...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I would, but its irrelevant since it won't snow near NYC this winter. It won't, I know it won't.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Personally I don't log anything like gardening, shoveling snow, or cleaning. Of course you are moving your body and burning calories and that's GREAT! But those are little extra's for me throughout the day that I don't think to log because I don't want to assume that I burned 100 calories doing it when it could be much less.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    on no you don't trust me!!!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't log anything like gardening, shoveling snow, or cleaning. Of course you are moving your body and burning calories and that's GREAT! But those are little extra's for me throughout the day that I don't think to log because I don't want to assume that I burned 100 calories doing it when it could be much less.

that's me too. i have never logged any of those things. never thought to either. i figure cleaning the house and stuff is daily activity and is normal.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    on no you don't trust me!!!

Agreed! I'm missing my warm, sunny days at the beach!
  • livinginwoods
    Options

Do a mini-squat to get the snow in the shovel, keep your knees bent and concentrate on keeping your

I have to shovel a 200 sq-ft deck over a 4 ft railing. everytime it snows, living in maine you bet I log that stuff.

-D

I am going to try this! We have 5 acres of yard and I am seriously thinking of shoveling a few times a week just to work out and get some fresh air. A bonus is my husband was impressed because I never offer to help because it always exhausted me and he appreciated the effort. I am also working out with DVDs. Thanks for the support!
  • livinginwoods
    Options
    Yeah I don't log every day cleaning or normal stuff like that.
  • spubnik
    spubnik Posts: 11
    Options
    i log it also especially the heavy stuff, I can spend up to 2 hours doing it so I want those calories back. lol. ;)
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

-D

I am going to try this! We have 5 acres of yard and I am seriously thinking of shoveling a few times a week just to work out and get some fresh air. A bonus is my husband was impressed because I never offer to help because it always exhausted me and he appreciated the effort. I am also working out with DVDs. Thanks for the support!

just be careful, shoveling snow is one of the biggest causes of heart attacks each year. Reason being the cold can make you feel like you aren't working as much because you aren't sweating but your heart rate is through the roof. It's not dangerous just keep your wits about you, if your heart rate gets too high slow down.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I never log house cleaning or every day gardening chores but I DO log snow shoveling and the times when I do hard core garden work. I've only had to shovel snow once so far this winter but it was heavy, wet snow and we have a large area to shovel. It was a workout. My arms and upper back were sore for a while after.