Just curious...

Options
As we are all here for the same reason, we all know that we have had to change the way we eat and what we eat and how we cook it.
So.......

How has your diet changed?

What foods have you cut out?

What foods do you now eat that you didn't before to help aid the loss?

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    For me I haven't really cut anything out, i've just watched portion sizes.
    I guess I did stop drinking milk but it was unrelated to MFP, I just discovered it was the stomach ache culprit! and so i've added in almond milk which I never drank before.

Oh and I also now have had green smoothies which I never would have dreamed of before.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have cut out most processed junk. Try to keep refined sugar to almost none. I started eating green stuff more. I learned to love brocolli, asparagus, green beand and salad. Oh but I learned I cant smother it in ranch dressing now its olive oil based dressings.
  • rzavesky
    rzavesky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I cut my portions down a lot! Before I was eating even after I was full and I was eating fast. Now I take my time and ask myself, am I really hungry or am I bored? I also drink a lot more water! That is my biggest change of all . I carry a water bottle with me all day. I eat a filling breakfast every morning, usually egg whites. The Jimmy Dean sandwiches are 210 calories and soo yummy if your on the go, I am all the time. I am just being open to new foods and fruits. I think a lot of it is mental too. Good Luck =)
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have cut out my daily wine with dinner. I also watch my portions diligently.
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've started cutting out a lot of crackers, breads and pastas. I used to eat them all the time, but now I try to do so sparingly, and get my carbs from things like brown rice, instead. It's not because of any "carbs are evil" fab diet or anything like that, but...let me tell you a story...

When I first started watching my portion sizes, there was one day I had spaghetti. Whole wheat spaghetti, too, mmmmmm healthy! Ha. I think I put about a third, if not less, of what I used to eat on my plate. Ate it all, felt satisfied and rather happy that I'd managed to cut so much pasta out of my diet for the day.

Then I decided to log it and checked my calories. That TINY portion of pasta was over 300 calories, not even counting the other foods I ate with it. It doens't seem like much, but my intake goal/limit for the day is 1280 calories, so that's nearly a quarter. I had the same experience the first time I decided to enter in the piece of homemade bread I had with my soup one day.

It makes me really sad, because I really love those things, but I had to come to terms with the fact that I just can't right now. Once I reach my GW and go back up to maintenance calories, I'm sure I'll be able to start eating more breads and pastas again, but for now I pretty much same them for the weekend.

(Oh, and tortillas. Those things are EVIL D:)
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have switched a lot of things out for a healthier version. Seems to help me. I have also cut back on portion size as well.
    Whole Egg to Egg Whites
    Ground Beef to Ground Turkey
    Bacon to Turkey Bacon
    White to Wheat
    Regular Milk to Skim or Almond Milk
    White Rice to Brown Rice
    Coffee with sugars and fancy creamers to Coffee with a little cream no access sugar
    No soda
    Lots of fruits and veggies
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i have cut out fast food and as much sugar as possible. Only eat whole grain bread and eat a sandwich open faced ( only 1 slice of bread) also watch portion size
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I was the rare person who ate quite healthy before MFP (mostly home made, vegetable laden, all natural, no processed foods, rarely any fast food, etc.). I came to MFP 30 pounds overweight and realized fast that I had one big issue...my portions were WAY out of whack. With that said...

How has your diet changed? Less food!

What foods have you cut out? None. I still drink wine, I still eat sweets from time to time, I will indulge in a greasy meal (burger, fried stuff) once in a while but the key is PORTION CONTROL. You can have one piece of fried chicken, three pieces aren't necessary. You don't have to eat every last bite of the half pound burger. Lessons learned.

What foods do you now eat that you didn't before to help aid the loss? My diet hasn't changed that much, really. I have completely stopped eating leftover meeting food at my work (lots of pastries and bagels and such) which is always around. I have also given up flavored yogurt and now eat plain Greek yogurt. Other than that, my diet hasn't changed too much. Everything for me comes down to portion size.
  • Blodnie
    Blodnie Posts: 66
    Options
    The biggest thing I've cut out is fast food. I LOVE IT! Love, love, love it.. but just giving that up makes a big difference. I still partake occasionally to keep my sanity, of course.