zumba

Options
anybody have a guesstimate of how many calories are burned doing zumba?? im SHOCKED that its not in the database here....

Replies

• fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am shocked, too. I've been putting mine under aerobic dance, but I've been searching other databases and may have been 80 calories UNDER what I actually burned. Hope they add this soon!!!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I took a HRM to a Zumbathon (100 minutes straight of Zumba!) and it told me I'd burned 1005 calories.

My Zumba teacher estimates her classes (1 hour long) at about 600-800 calories, depending on how hard you work, which is consistent with what my HRM told me--approximately 330 calories per half hour.

I think that it is probably not in the database just because it is so different from person to person. I get really into the movements and try to go wider/higher/lower with them, while some people in my class seem stuck in a little 3-foot square! You really get out of it what you put in, that's for sure.

If you're working hard and breaking a sweat, though, I'd say you can probably put it somewhere around the 330 calorie/30 minutes mark and not be too far off. I don't know what the MLP database has for aerobic dance...?
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You cant really go by other peoples calorie burn. A 200 lb person will burn way more than a 130 lb person. I even noticed the longer I do it the less calories I burn. I am 5'5 and weigh 183 I burn 500 to 550 in an hour class. I use a hrm. 3 months ago I was burning 600 calories.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    there's a website if you google zumba calorie burn where you put in your weight and the time and low, medium or high effort. Not an exact count, but gives you an idea. I'm 172 lbs and it says i'm 631 for 60 minutes at medium intensity.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted this website on another thread. It is supposed to be pretty accurate and is pretty similar to what I have measured with my HRM. http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Not only does the amount of calores burnt during a sumba class vary depending on the weight of a person, and the fitness of the person doing it. IT also depends on the class. Some zumba classes are really intense, some are less so.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and burn around 400-500 per 60 minute class. Of course it depends on your height/weight and the intensity at which you do it.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So I just went to zumbacalories.com and on the site it will calculate calories burned using your weight, the intensity of your workout, and minutes performed. Then I went into the "exercise" tab on MFP, went under cardiovascular and 'add exercise'. Search for Zumba, then go to the bottom and add exercise. You can use the info from the zumbacalories.com page to enter your information.
  • heathermg514
    Options
    thank you everyone!!! :)