eating at night

Options
i try to save many of my calories for the evening because i know that is the time i want to eat the most. Does it really matter if i am eating at night as long as i dont go past my calorie goal for the day? I think about food so much before i go to sleep... if i have almost hit my calorie limit, what could i snack on that has little or no calories? Something that will not affect my weight loss plan??!!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i try to save many of my calories for the evening because i know that is the time i want to eat the most. Does it really matter if i am eating at night as long as i dont go past my calorie goal for the day? I think about food so much before i go to sleep... if i have almost hit my calorie limit, what could i snack on that has little or no calories? Something that will not affect my weight loss plan??!!

It doesn't matter when you consume your calories, makes no difference for weight loss.

if you're hungry going to bed, maybe try pushing back your dinner closer to bed time or skipping breakfast and allotting more cals for night time dinner/snacking
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Exactly what i do. I skip breakfast, have a small lunch, then a big dinner, and snacks at bedtime. Easier to go to sleep full too! :D Works a treat for me!
  • DanyelePalmer
    Options
    i've always been told that breakfast is extremely imp when trying to lose weight because it jump starts your matabolism, i have even been told before to eat like every 2 hrs ..like small snacks in between breakfast lunch and dinner to keep your matabolism going ... i mean im not a professional, at all lol but im pretty sure eating late isn't good on a diet. I do it too and id bet that if we didn't we would drop weight way faster. :)
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.... no matter what I've eaten during the day, I'm always craving snacks at bedtime. Just try to save some calories specifically for at night! And even if you don't like to eat breakfast, eating something small and healthy is good to get your metabolism going for the day.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with skipping breakfast. Everybody knows you get a higher metabolism by eating several small meals instead of a couple giant meals. You need that metabolism in order to efficiently burn what you eat. Sorry, but I think you'll just have to eat less throughout the day instead of skipping meals.
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    In my opinion, I think every "body" is different so no one way/plan/method/etc. works for all. For example, if I skip breakfast, I can't workout as well, my blood sugar gets unstable and am more likely to over eat at lunch. Others have no problem. I, too, tend to save a good portion of calories for the evening meal and snacks because try as I might, I have not yet conquered the after dinner snacking (although I've modified the quality of snacks and have incorporated some post dinner walking to keep the metabolism up.) Obviously, this hasn't impacted my reducing my weight. You will have to see how your body responds to shifting about calories. If it works for you..great! If not, then try something else.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter for weight loss when you consume the calories as long as there is a deficit. I know we have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and that may be true for some people, but not everyone. Also there is no real hard evidence that anything besides building muscle will speed up your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't automatically shut down at night, actually if anything it speeds up a little, you actually burn more calories sleeping than doing some other things. Bottom line, figure out what works best for you, every one is different.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I don't agree with skipping breakfast. Everybody knows you get a higher metabolism by eating several small meals instead of a couple giant meals. You need that metabolism in order to efficiently burn what you eat. Sorry, but I think you'll just have to eat less throughout the day instead of skipping meals.

And i'm sure you can actually substantiate this?
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I work second shift and usually go to bed around 1p. Who can go right to bed after getting off work, not me? So yes I do eat late at night because if I don't my blood sugar will drop. I do notice if I eat too much before going to bed I will get hearburn. I set my calorie limit at 200-300 calories so I can have a treat with something healthy. Like popcorn with an apple or a sugar free chocolate pop with a piece of fruit or yogurt. Just some ideas.
  • nancyshirah
    nancyshirah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, skipping breakfast only makes me cranky and I'm starving later on in the day so I eat more than I would if I would have just ate breakfast. Plus I'm a diabetic so that may have a lot to do with the crankies. Anyway I do agree with leaving some cals for night time because I snack at night too. Good luck fighting off the cookie monster!
  • bound4glory2
    bound4glory2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Should You Eat Breakfast, Even When You're Not Hungry?
    By Brierley Wright, M.S., R.D., "Ask Our Nutritionist," January/February 2011
    Eating a morning meal is a healthy habit. Research shows that regular breakfast eaters tend to be leaner and dieters are more successful at losing weight—and keeping it off—when they eat breakfast. What’s more, people who typically eat breakfast also get more fiber, calcium, vitamins A and C, riboflavin, zinc and iron—and less fat and dietary cholesterol. Perhaps it’s because they often eat cereal, which is fortified with vitamins and minerals, and fruit, which is naturally nutrient-rich.

Breakfast is good for your heart, too, according to new research in the October 2010 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The study found that people who skipped breakfast throughout childhood and as adults had higher “bad” LDL and total cholesterol than lifelong breakfast eaters. (They also carried more weight in their midsection.) Why skipping breakfast is linked with higher cholesterol isn’t clear, but the findings support previous research, says study author Kylie Smith, M.S., of the University of Tasmania, Australia. Plus, she notes, eating breakfast has also been shown to improve concentration and mood.

Lose Weight: Eat Breakfast
    Studies show making breakfast a daily habit can help you lose weight - and keep it off.
    By Jeanie Lerche Davis
    WebMD Feature Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
    What's for breakfast - coffee? Most mornings, we barely glance at the kitchen. Fixing breakfast takes up precious time that's in short supply. But there's ample evidence that the simple act of eating breakfast -- every day -- is a big part of losing weight, lots of weight.

"People skip breakfast thinking they're cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved," says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. "Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure."

Recommended Related to Diet & Weight Management
    Don't Fall Back into Bad Habits
    You worked hard on making better eating choices and exercising. And for a few weeks or maybe a few months, you did well. You lost weight, felt better, and were sure that this time, your new and improved health habits were here to stay. But then there was a big project at work that had you ordering in pizza at your desk rather than going out for a low-calorie lunch. Your children needed extra help with their homework, so your evening walks got put on the back burner. And before you know it,...
    Read the Don't Fall Back into Bad Habits article > >
    The Benefits of Breakfast

Eating breakfast is a daily habit for the "successful losers" who belong to The National Weight Control Registry. These people have maintained a 30-pound (or more) weight loss for at least a year, and some as long as six years.

"Most -- 78% -- reported eating breakfast every day, and almost 90% reported eating breakfast at least five days a week - which suggests that starting the day with breakfast is an important strategy to lose weight and keep it off," says James O. Hill, PhD, the Registry's co-founder and director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.

Two studies in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association backed up this finding. Though they were funded by cereal companies, dietitians say they underscore the message - breakfast is important to weight loss.

A group of researchers analyzed data from a government-funded study that followed more than 2,000 young girls from ages 9 to 19. They found that regular cereal eaters had fewer weight problems than infrequent cereal eaters. Those who ate cereal occasionally had a 13% higher risk of being overweight compared to the regular cereal eaters.

Another research group analyzed government data on 4,200 adults. They found that regular breakfast eaters were more likely to exercise regularly. And women who ate breakfast regularly tended to eat fewer calories overall during the day. Those men and women who ate breakfast cereal had lower overall fat intake -- compared to those who ate other breakfast foods.

It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

Among the people she counsels, breakfast eaters are usually those who have lost a significant amount of weight. They also exercise. "They say that before having breakfast regularly, they would eat most of their calories after 5 p.m.," Politi tells WebMD. "Now, they try to distribute calories throughout the day. It makes sense that the body wants to be fueled."
  • Acg67
    Options
    Should You Eat Breakfast, Even When You're Not Hungry?
    By Brierley Wright, M.S., R.D., "Ask Our Nutritionist," January/February 2011
    Eating a morning meal is a healthy habit. Research shows that regular breakfast eaters tend to be leaner and dieters are more successful at losing weight—and keeping it off—when they eat breakfast. What’s more, people who typically eat breakfast also get more fiber, calcium, vitamins A and C, riboflavin, zinc and iron—and less fat and dietary cholesterol. Perhaps it’s because they often eat cereal, which is fortified with vitamins and minerals, and fruit, which is naturally nutrient-rich.

Breakfast is good for your heart, too, according to new research in the October 2010 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The study found that people who skipped breakfast throughout childhood and as adults had higher “bad” LDL and total cholesterol than lifelong breakfast eaters. (They also carried more weight in their midsection.) Why skipping breakfast is linked with higher cholesterol isn’t clear, but the findings support previous research, says study author Kylie Smith, M.S., of the University of Tasmania, Australia. Plus, she notes, eating breakfast has also been shown to improve concentration and mood.

Lose Weight: Eat Breakfast
    Studies show making breakfast a daily habit can help you lose weight - and keep it off.
    By Jeanie Lerche Davis
    WebMD Feature Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
    What's for breakfast - coffee? Most mornings, we barely glance at the kitchen. Fixing breakfast takes up precious time that's in short supply. But there's ample evidence that the simple act of eating breakfast -- every day -- is a big part of losing weight, lots of weight.

"People skip breakfast thinking they're cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved," says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. "Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure."

Recommended Related to Diet & Weight Management
    Don't Fall Back into Bad Habits
    You worked hard on making better eating choices and exercising. And for a few weeks or maybe a few months, you did well. You lost weight, felt better, and were sure that this time, your new and improved health habits were here to stay. But then there was a big project at work that had you ordering in pizza at your desk rather than going out for a low-calorie lunch. Your children needed extra help with their homework, so your evening walks got put on the back burner. And before you know it,...
    Read the Don't Fall Back into Bad Habits article > >
    The Benefits of Breakfast

Eating breakfast is a daily habit for the "successful losers" who belong to The National Weight Control Registry. These people have maintained a 30-pound (or more) weight loss for at least a year, and some as long as six years.

"Most -- 78% -- reported eating breakfast every day, and almost 90% reported eating breakfast at least five days a week - which suggests that starting the day with breakfast is an important strategy to lose weight and keep it off," says James O. Hill, PhD, the Registry's co-founder and director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.

Two studies in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association backed up this finding. Though they were funded by cereal companies, dietitians say they underscore the message - breakfast is important to weight loss.

A group of researchers analyzed data from a government-funded study that followed more than 2,000 young girls from ages 9 to 19. They found that regular cereal eaters had fewer weight problems than infrequent cereal eaters. Those who ate cereal occasionally had a 13% higher risk of being overweight compared to the regular cereal eaters.

Another research group analyzed government data on 4,200 adults. They found that regular breakfast eaters were more likely to exercise regularly. And women who ate breakfast regularly tended to eat fewer calories overall during the day. Those men and women who ate breakfast cereal had lower overall fat intake -- compared to those who ate other breakfast foods.

It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

Among the people she counsels, breakfast eaters are usually those who have lost a significant amount of weight. They also exercise. "They say that before having breakfast regularly, they would eat most of their calories after 5 p.m.," Politi tells WebMD. "Now, they try to distribute calories throughout the day. It makes sense that the body wants to be fueled."

Instead of silly wall of text, please tell me how increased meal frequency/eating breakfast creates a metabolic advantage or less meals/not eating breakfast

correlation-vs-causation.jpg?w=495&h=382
  • bound4glory2
    Options
    I had my first session with my nutritionist last Tuesday. He said NOT to eat after 8pm. He said the reason why is that the food you eat right before going to bed starts to get stored as fat 15-30 minutes after you fall asleep. Your body won't burn up the calories like it would during the day, when you are more active. He gave me a great tip for curbing the late light night munchies. Before each meal drink 1 cup of a low calorie warm beverage (I love chai tea or flavored tea, or even decaf cofee) and drink another cup in the evening when you first start to feel the "late crave". The warm beverage is a "comfort" food that will give the sense of feeling full so you don't crave the carbs and sweets so bad in the evening. Hope this helps...it's only been a few days, but it seems to help me. :)
  • Acg67
    Options
    I had my first session with my nutritionist last Tuesday. He said NOT to eat after 8pm. He said the reason why is that the food you eat right before going to bed starts to get stored as fat 15-30 minutes after you fall asleep. Your body won't burn up the calories like it would during the day, when you are more active. He gave me a great tip for curbing the late light night munchies. Before each meal drink 1 cup of a low calorie warm beverage (I love chai tea or flavored tea, or even decaf cofee) and drink another cup in the evening when you first start to feel the "late crave". The warm beverage is a "comfort" food that will give the sense of feeling full so you don't crave the carbs and sweets so bad in the evening. Hope this helps...it's only been a few days, but it seems to help me. :)

My advice, get a new nutritionist, one that isn't giving such brotastic advice
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

My advice, get a new nutritionist, one that isn't giving such brotastic advice

I'm with Acg67 on this one. Read up on Intermittent Fasting; the method I like is called Eat Stop Eat. No decrease in metabolism, no muscle loss, etc. Very interesting read.

It sounds like your nutritionist is still regurgitating old information, which is very common.
  • bound4glory2
    Options
    I wasnt trying to post "silly wall texts". Someone had posted that they wanted research to back up the notion that breakfast was important. I merely posted the research. I used to be one who never ate breakfast, I just don't wake up feeling hungry. Since my decision to get serious about losing 100+ pounds and meeting with a nutritionist, I've been eating something small (he said eat 100-200 calories with in one hour of waking up). Usually 3/4 cup of cereal with 2% milk, or yogurt, or an egg and 1-2 cups of coffee (my major weakness, lol). I can tell you from experience that I feel more energized and awake about an hour after I eat and I seem to not want to indulge later. I also stopped eating huge meals and started eating smaller ones through out the day. I know it's only been a few days, but I really can see and feel a difference in my appetite and cravings. sorry if my previous post anoyed you, that wasn't my intention. :)
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    I wasnt trying to post "silly wall texts". Someone had posted that they wanted research to back up the notion that breakfast was important. I merely posted the research. I used to be one who never ate breakfast, I just don't wake up feeling hungry. Since my decision to get serious about losing 100+ pounds and meeting with a nutritionist, I've been eating something small (he said eat 100-200 calories with in one hour of waking up). Usually 3/4 cup of cereal with 2% milk, or yogurt, or an egg and 1-2 cups of coffee (my major weakness, lol). I can tell you from experience that I feel more energized and awake about an hour after I eat and I seem to not want to indulge later. I also stopped eating huge meals and started eating smaller ones through out the day. I know it's only been a few days, but I really can see and feel a difference in my appetite and cravings. sorry if my previous post anoyed you, that wasn't my intention. :)

Thanks for posting supporting data for your views. I didn't see them as annoying but as tools to help assess what may work for an individual.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This topic is so huge for me. I eat like a saint all day but then at night, my willpower falls and my fixation on my cravings peaks. I can't stop thinking about this craving or that craving and I usually just end up giving in so that I can get over it and actually relax enough to be able to get to bed soundly. I really do feel like I'm some kind of drug addict. And the thing is, these cravings aren't' for junk-- they're healthy things, fruit, some nuts, light cheese, etc. But the point is, i don't like eating so late and i know it' s just "extra" food i don't need--even if i am under my calorie goal.

As far as breakfast is concerned, i had read all the same research about why it's good and how it's a big key to losing weight and stabilizing your metabolism etc., but for me personally it backfired. Normally not a breakfast person, i forced myself to have a small healthy something-- toast with cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg, just something to start up my metabolism. The thing is: it never satiated me, in fact it made me hungrier sooner, i ended up eating the same amount for lunch and dinner and those after-dinner snack cravings never went away! so i gained weight from the extra calories. I've since switched to juicing for "breakfast". It replaced my morning tea routine and i get extra nutrients because I'm consuming way more fruits and vegetables than before and I'm on track losing weight. So moral of the story is everyone's different and if you do try changing your routine, do it in a controlled and measured way.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

There's a big difference between "research" that shows that people who eat breakfast are slim, and those that dont end up overeating. That is down to THAT person's choices, not metabolic biology. If you can find something that doesnt just use "tend to", "may", etc, and that shows actual FACTS, not just correlation, then you'd get a different reply. The FACT is, that breakfast/meal timing has been PROVEN to offer no metabolic advantage. Each person may find that those may make keeping their cals in check easier, but that's down to the individual.