Favorate low cal fruit and veggies

Options
softballmom33
softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
Trying to get more fruits and veggies into my diet. Need some ideas on preparing, packaging.

Replies

• randompatch
    randompatch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I pickle almost everything! A simple pickling mix is simply vinegar, salt, touch of sugar, herbs/spices. I do a simple pickling for the refrigerator, but I think its similar to canning.

cucumbers ~ carrots ~ green tomatoes ~ peppers ~ cauliflower ~ green beans ~ onions ~ garlic ~ you name it! YUM YUM YUM!
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like all things dipped in something. Right now I am crushing hard on celery and Renee's light buttermilk ranch. The child in me also like celery and light cheez whiz.

cucumber - love plain; with salt; with salt, pepper and vinegar
    brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, parsnips - roasted with salt, pepper and olive oil
    sweet potato: microwaved with butter and salt; oven baked with olive oil, brown sugar and cinnamon
    kale: sauteed with onions and garlic; roasted in the oven til crunchy
    swiss chard: oven roasted til crunchy
    zucchini: marinated in low fat sundried tomato and oregano dressing then barbequed
    portobello mushrooms: same as zucchini
    spinach: the baby stuff is great as a lettuce replacement; frozen boxed stuff gets thrown into pasta/soups
    asparagus: dressed with oil, salt and pepper the bbq til the ends are crunchy

I also love stir frys (broccoli, bok choy, onion. celery, carrot, bean sprouts, bell pepper, mushrooms).

ETA: Forgot fruits

What's in season wherever you are is generally best. Right now I LOVE clementines.
    fresh (or frozen, thawed) berries in greek yogurt
    bananas with peanut butter
    pomagranate arils are so much fun to snack on
    apples and peanut butter (or apples with cinnamon and brown sugar)
    home made apple sauce
    dried fruit on oatmeal
    smoothies! you can do green smoothies to get your veggies in too!

That's all I can think of at the moment.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i buy frozen berries of all kinds and use a cup a day in my nonfat greek yogurt ..when they are in season and more affordable i buy them fresh and eat as a snack
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was a big fan of yellow squash and zucchini for a while. Just slice them up, throw a bit of seasoning on them and I sauteed them in a frying pan for a few minutes. They were great with chicken breast and only were 30-40 calories for a big serving!

Sweet potato is great too, but higher in carbs and calories. I just pick out the smallest ones (around 8-9 oz) and it's around 120 calories.