Cleanses/detoxes - Sugestions/Thoughts?

Options
Hello
I am new to MFP, and I am enjoying it very much so far. It has only been a week, but I am benefitting from the guidlines for sure! But I am curious if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations on any of the cleanses or body detox plans that are out there. I am not considering one because I want to accelerate my weight loss, I am considering doing one to try and accelerate my feeling better. I have about 50-60lbs to lose, and it is taking a big toll on my body. I had 2 babies in 2 years (the little one is 6 months) and just not enough time to rebound from the weight.
I often feel sluggish, tired, my joints and muscles ache, and my skin (which has always been great) is now causing me some problems. I have read that these things can all be improved through a cleanse, and I am very up to try one, but there are so many out there it is confusing. I need something that is not going to cost me a lot of extra money, I have a family that will be eating normally during this process and a fixed budget. I can't spend hours a day making things, because I just don't have that kind of time. I do not want to completely overhaul my cupboards.
If anyone has any suggestions, advice, stories from personal experience, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Replies

• iliketopaint
    Options
    Hi Ashlie!

I'm not too sure about detoxes, I've heard so many pros and cons to both. From what I've heard a good middle ground option of a raw foods or just veggie diet for a few days seems to work for a lot of people and has a good balance of what you're looking for.

However, your symptoms sound exactly like a Vitamin B-12 deficiency. Maybe before trying something extreme like a cleanse or detox diet, you could make sure you are already getting all the vitamins you need to have energy and feel good. I hope that helps.

Tracy
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on crazy juice detox diets and all that stuff. My coworkers are actually doing something like that and I skipped out, much to their surprise as I'm usually the "health queen" around here.

That said, I do a cleanse once or twice a year and always choose from the RenewLife brand. They make a cleanse for first-timers that may be right up your alley. It really does seem to help me. Just try to start eating cleaner overall and the same thing will eventually happen, but I like to think of this as a palette cleanser, if you will.

Anyway, whatever you choose, best of luck to you. You may want to look into a good PRObiotic formula to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    if i were in your situation (which i have been before, i have had 3 kids in 5 years) i would just focus on eating lots of fresh produce and cut out processed foods, if you are breastfeeding a detox can dump your toxins into your milk..when i started eating "clean" and cut out gluten i felt amazing. i love the book "crazy sexy diet" and did the 21 day cleanse on there but without doing the one day fast a week. if you are not breastfeeding i still recommend the book, and also the docu fat, sick, and nearly dead. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You can't "cleanse" or "detox" the body. There is no magic pool of toxins waiting to be released by a juice fast, an over the counter pill, etc. Your liver and kidneys do a fine job of cleansing the body. That's what they are there for!

Eat as cleanly as possible- lots of vegetables, drink water, avoid processed foods, take a multivitamin, etc. If you aren't feeling better after that, then go see a doctor and have blood work done as there may be something wrong other than your diet.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've done two cleanses in the past two years. The first one was a lemonade diet (nothing but lemonade all day for 10 days - look it up for more details), and the other was a nutritive cleanse involving meal replacement shakes twice a day and a super healthy supper (Young Living Balance Complete, for more information).

I liked them both. The lemonade one was a little intense, but they both served their purpose. I didn't really lose a lot of weight doing them, but what did happen was it kicked my carb and sugar addiction, and kick-started a healthy eating plan.

That is my two cents.
  • ashlie30
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! I appreciate the feedback for sure! I don't actually eat a lot of processed food, we do a lot of cooking from scratch. The gluten is a good suggestion. I like the idea of kicking the sugar carb cravings too, that would be helpful. I guess the bottom line is just going to be the time, so I must have patience, and it will get there eventually.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    One last suggestion: I've been doing the Whole Living "detox" challenge since January 2nd and I L.O.V.E. it. It's a three-week guide that is not so rigorous--no crazy concoctions to drink-- but really focuses on clean eating. I thought i knew what that meant until I went on this and I realized what a clean diet really looks like. Week one was all fruits and veggies, no dairy, gluten, added sugar or caffeine. Week two you add back beans and legumes and some fish and week three add back light protein. I've learned so many great eating habits already, feel better than i ever have been (despite an intensely high-pressure work week).

It's a cleanse in the sense that you get rid of all the elements that are hardest for the body to digest and you give your system a break-- hence more energy despite the dramatic drop in protein. And I was a big meat eater before this. I think it's hardest on those with a caffeine dependency, I'm not a caffeine every day person but I did get fuzzy-head syndrome on day 5 probably from lack of caffeine. All the fruit and vegg is a bit pricey, but it's lasting me at least two weeks and all the meals and recipes are quick easy and often for a serving of 4. Anyway, i love it and it's no doubt going to change the way eat from now on.

here's the link http://tinyurl.com/7rpo7bv
  • beautifulmama11
    Options
    Hello, about the detox stuff, you do have to be careful. My cousin is a crazy detox person. Shes always doing one. Sometimes she gets sick and feels really drained. But one that her and i have tried together and felt amazing is something called "African Mango". My Fiance is from Africa and told me about this fruit, they have pills and liquid drops in the u.s to sell. Its cleans out not just the toxins but also cleans out the build up in your intestines and pushes the left-overs in your stomach out! The first few days you'll be going to the bathroom a lot. But you'll feel amazing!!!!!
  • xjackie83
    xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think detoxes are kind of scary. I've heard of people getting extremely sick on them or getting really drained. That might be hard to do if you're taking care of two little ones.

I've found that when I eat certain foods such has things high in sugars or bad carbs that I feel sluggish and tired too. I blame it on a carb/sugar addiction.

So what I'm doing is focusing on eating healthy whole grains (such as 100% whole wheat bread, oatmeal), lean meats, and low glycemic vegetables. I'm starting to feel a lot more energized, sleeping better, and I'm not as hungry all the time or feeling like I constantly need to snack.
  • ashlie30
    Options
    Thanks! I will definately check out the web link! And I have heard about the African Mango, just haven't ever talk to anyone who has ever tried it. And I know the carbs and sugars do a number on the body, but it's so hard! I love carbs! But alas, I know they need to take a less prominant role in my daily diet. *sigh!*
  • livetolove24
    livetolove24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have had a massage involving oils that is supposed to help pull toxins from the body and that made me feel better overall. It is called Rain-drop therapy massage and they use essential oils and hot towels and it lasts about 90 minutes. You do have to drink lots of extra water after having one for it to work right.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, there are some scary suggestions here! I suggest that you don't worry about lemonade or raindrop oils and concentrate on eating healthy food and doing some exercise. If you do this consistently, you WILL feel better.

Your body is very good at protecting and "cleansing" itself (that's why you have skin, liver, kidneys and numerous other complex bodily systems) and anyone who is selling or promoting "detox" products is just making money out of your desire for a quick fix. Save your money and spend it on fresh veggies or a gym membership, you'll get much better long term benefits this way.