How to Log salad?

Options
This seems like a really stupid question, but ive taken up some tips here people have given me and made up a massive batch of salad ive put spring onions, mixed lettuce and peppers in it at the minute and im just adding a handful or two on the side of my plate or into any wraps i eat but i dont know how to log it? do i estimate how much of each veg ive eaten and add them seperatly?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yep, exactly.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You can make a recipe under the food tab.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I second the recipe idea - it makes it so much easier!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A normal sized bowl of what you described would be around 30 cals.

Really just pick a reasonable number, it's not going to make or break you either way.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i weigh each ingredient (making sure to zero out the scale after i add each thing) and then i either create a recipe if its a salad i plan on making a lot...or i just add each ingredient to my diary
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just use a general "Field Greens" or "Lettuce - cos or romaine" depending on the main kind of greens in it. Lettuces have so few calories that it doesn't make a huge difference in your diary, IMO. I mostly just log them so I know I'm eating fresh produce every day.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe tool.

Plug in all the ingredients for the large salad and then put the number of people based on your preffered serving size.

I do this with my turkey spaghetti sauce.

I make about 3 gallons (yes gallons) and a serving size for me is 1.5 cups or 12 ounces. 384 ounces in three gallons divided by 12 ounces = 32.

That's the number I put in the "Feeds how many people" field.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I just guess... i look up each ingredient and just guessimate on how much of each.... the stuff in salads usually do not have that many calories so if you don't count exactly I am sure you will not be off by much. The thing to not underestimate is dressings!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I agree this is not something to fret over, but I would personally log the ingredients --estimating quantities, not going nuts- because I often like to peek at my micronutrient intake too. As in, "Hey, awesome, I'm really nailing that Vitamin A intake." You may choose to be less dorky or OCPD, so the recipe or quick add option may suffice.
  • TyneeKitty
    Options
    thank you everyone :)
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you are going to make a big batch then just figure out the calories. Measure the amount of every ingrediant and calculate how much total divide it by the number of servings you get out of it.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    I second the recipe idea - it makes it so much easier!!!

That's what I do in fact since I almost make about the same thing in terms of proportions and veggies. I add up the dressing and croutons or special stuff after in the diary.