My Story! [From 240 lbs. - 158 lbs.]

Options
Hey guys,

Before I get into my story... progress pics!

Older: http://imgur.com/a/bIMEn
Most Recent: http://imgur.com/a/EdPVJ

I'll give my history in a timeline:

Elementary School: Super chubby boy. Lost it towards Gr.8 by running around a lot and eating healthier.

High School: Concentrated on my studies. Got fat again. Discovered online gaming... got fatter.

Post Secondary: Met Erin, my ex who is now my best friend. She shared the same passions of online gaming and food... OH GOD WHY.

2008: Flight of stairs defeated me. Realized that it probably wasn't healthy to be gasping for air when all I did was walk to the 2nd floor washroom.

2009: Went to the gym, lost weight. Yoyod here and there, no big. Wasn't too focused on losing weight but it was happening.

2010: Depression. Diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans in my right arm making my arm pretty much unusable. Couldn't bend it, couldn't grip things, it sucked. 6 year relationship with my girlfriend ended mutually.

LIFE CHANGE TIME. Worked around the injury, ran a 10k every other day. Developed pains in my legs, but dismissed it as shin splints or just some other pain that I probably just being a ***** about.

2011: Started new work, and had surgery on my arm! Started weight lifting and slowly increasing my strength, muscles are nice. :D

After speaking with two doctors about the leg pain which was now debilitating I decided physio was not an answer and got an MRI done. The pain was so bad at one point that I could only walk for periods of 10 minutes at a time, and if I were to stand up from a sitting position my legs would shake like crazy, as if I carrying 1000 lbs. on my back.

MRI came back with a notice of "URGENT: HIGH PRIORITY" and after a back and forth of rescheduling appointments (the latest one being December of 2012) I managed to get a surgery for my sciatica on January 23rd, 2012. The procedures being done are a lamenectomy and discectomy. The neurosurgeon said that running at such a heavy weight and being flat footed contributed to the disc herniations in my spine. So basically, in my attempt to get healthier I severely damaged myself. Talk about life being unfair sometimes lol.

2012: Patiently waiting for surgery, maintaining my weight by eating properly but I'm really sad cause I can't work out at the gym, the pain is way too much. On the bright side, I just got converted for full time status at my workplace so now I'll be covered for short term disability while I'm recovering for the next 4-6 weeks with 100% pay. :D

That's about it, but if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer. I promise to update my album with new measurements and pics as soon as I can start exercising again. Oh, also readily accepting friend invites, so don't be shy.

Peace!

Replies

• sgaston1967
    Options
    could you swim for exercise, or do the table top bicyle.
  • dcsera
    dcsera Posts: 3
    Options
    Technically I could, but to put the pain into perspective, it hurts when I'm lying down or walking. Pretty much the only time I'm not in much pain is when I'm sitting down. Cycling is a great idea as there is it doesn't hurt too bad, but I think I'll just relax until the surgery's complete.