recipe for left over ham

Options
Have a baked ham from holidays I just defrosted...any recipe suggestions?

Replies

• emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Dice it and cook with peas and EVOO and put over pasta with some parm
    Dice it and eat it over a salad
    Make soup?
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I make split pea and lentil soup.............Mmmmmmm or maybe a lighter version of home made scalloped potatoes and Ham:bigsmile:
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Omelette? Ham, cheese, onion and green bell pepper would be good with egg whites!

Or as someone else suggested, split pea and ham soup.

Portion it into single servings and freeze?
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    I use it for fifteen bean soup!
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I'm using a lot of my leftover ham for ham fried rice.
  • rjbalcer
    Options
    Saute an onion in olive oil...chop up ham...add 3 cans of Great Northern White beans. Simmer for 30 mins
    add water if it seems too thick,
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    dice it and add to cooked chicken and a can of mushroom soup and serve with rice and veggies
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    dice it and add to cooked chicken and a can of mushroom soup and serve with rice and veggies

you could make this into pie filling but all that pastry is BAD !!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ooooh leftover ham soup is my favorite! Literally I just had these leftovers for lunch :happy:

Chop celery, carrots & leeks (sub onion if you'd like) into soup pot with butter and/or evoo. Let cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Top with a couple tablespoons of flour and stir. If flour isn't getting incorporated add more butter/evoo. Stir and let brown a bit. Add some warm milk (you can use anything from skim to heavy cream - obviously cream tastes better but skim is better for you) and then top with broth (chicken/veggie/ham/homemade - see below). Toss in diced potatoes (yukon gold skin on) and let simmer for a half hour or so. Toss in cubed meat for 10ish more minutes then taste for seasoning. Add salt, pepper & crushed red pepper to taste. Serve with rustic whole wheat bread loaf for a real treat.

If you have the bone still from the ham you could make your own broth in a separate pot. I add water and some veggie stock and the ends of the celery/carrots/leeks leftover from chopping them up for soup. I have an over sized tea steeper that I put fresh herbs in (thyme is my favorite for soups). Let that simmer for as long as you have the patience for before you start the above recipe and just pour this into the soup pot after the milk through a colander.

I suck at measuring or timing things, so all of this is a rough estimate.
  • Terrysspace
    Options
    Saute an onion in olive oil...chop up ham...add 3 cans of Great Northern White beans. Simmer for 30 mins
    add water if it seems too thick,
    That sounds wonderful! I'll try it tonight, thanks. :)
  • Terrysspace
    Options
    Ooooh leftover ham soup is my favorite! Literally I just had these leftovers for lunch :happy:

Chop celery, carrots & leeks (sub onion if you'd like) into soup pot with butter and/or evoo. Let cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Top with a couple tablespoons of flour and stir. If flour isn't getting incorporated add more butter/evoo. Stir and let brown a bit. Add some warm milk (you can use anything from skim to heavy cream - obviously cream tastes better but skim is better for you) and then top with broth (chicken/veggie/ham/homemade - see below). Toss in diced potatoes (yukon gold skin on) and let simmer for a half hour or so. Toss in cubed meat for 10ish more minutes then taste for seasoning. Add salt, pepper & crushed red pepper to taste. Serve with rustic whole wheat bread loaf for a real treat.

If you have the bone still from the ham you could make your own broth in a separate pot. I add water and some veggie stock and the ends of the celery/carrots/leeks leftover from chopping them up for soup. I have an over sized tea steeper that I put fresh herbs in (thyme is my favorite for soups). Let that simmer for as long as you have the patience for before you start the above recipe and just pour this into the soup pot after the milk through a colander.

I suck at measuring or timing things, so all of this is a rough estimate.
    I do have the bone:-) This will be a great new recipe for tomorrow's dinner! Thanks a bunch for all the great ideas listed, I appreciate it.