Helpppppp! Gas Pain from too much fruit/veg!

Options
Ok, I have been doubled over in pain the last week from gas pain. I would pay $10 to be able to fart just once! I know it is from adding too many fruits and vegetables too fast to my diet, but I would starve trying to eat 1200 calories a day if I didn't. Any suggestions to improve this other than taking Beano (thanks for the suggestion though Sara!) or cutting back on those items. Any natural remedies? I know it will improve over time, but I can't even suck my stomach in and I would be doubled over IF I could even bend over but I can't......lol

I know some of you are rolling your eyes, but I know I must not be alone!

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You may need more soluble fiber in your insoluble/soluble mix. soluble fiber dissolves in water and creates a gel in your digestive tract that makes for less gas and easier bowel movements.

Try adding benefiber to your water (it's tasteless, though a little expensive). Or go for more soluble fiber sources instead - the inside fleshy parts of fruits etc.
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    LOL. I love honesty! I had that problem as well. Slow down a couple days and eat fiber. You will be able to fart in no time:)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You may find a benefit from not eating fruits and veggies in the same meal. I've read that they digest better separately being eaten at different times.

So say you have a big salad for a meal, wait 3 or 4 hours before having any fresh fruit. Otherwise it tends to create digestive discomfort.

Meantime activated charcoal capsules from your pharmacy can help a lot immediately with that doubled over feeling.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts and a tin of baked beans - will have you trumping like a trooper.
  • luwalmsley1983
    Options
    Try some natural peppermint oil - its a natural antispasmodic
  • irondaph
    Options
    can you narrow down if it is a specific vegetable/fruit that is causing the problem? That may be helpful. I was eating at least a cup of raw broccoli a day and developed an intolerance to it.. stomach cramping, dizziness, sweats and puking. It was organic and washed really well so was likely a compound in the broccoli itself, as soon as i eliminated it from my diet the symptoms disappeared...good luck!
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    can you narrow down if it is a specific vegetable/fruit that is causing the problem? That may be helpful. I was eating at least a cup of raw broccoli a day and developed an intolerance to it.. stomach cramping, dizziness, sweats and puking. It was organic and washed really well so was likely a compound in the broccoli itself, as soon as i eliminated it from my diet the symptoms disappeared...good luck!
    Oh great, I just bought 5 heads of broccoli b/c of a good price. I suppose that as a side with my chili tonight is a bad plan? lol
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's possible that your body will adjust, but it might not. Mine never did.
  • lms333
    lms333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    High count Probiotic with a number of strains and lots of water. Of course it's not instant either, but since starting the Probiotic I've had no lower ab pain what so ever and I eat tons of veggies and beans.
  • MrsWayneWV
    MrsWayneWV Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Exercise and water. Brisk walking or jogging will help your intestines pick up the pace, and should help you process all that fiber. Increase the water to help keep your guts lubed.