protein powder

Options
hello all i was wondering if anyone using protien powder found it helped them lose weight? basically after working out each morning i have green smoothie which is super healthy but im super hunger about an hour later so i was thinking of adding protein powder to the mix to help me over till lunch im not really sure what its all about is it something that helps you loss weight opr makes you have big muscles lol sorry dim

Replies

• alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Protein powder on its own won't do anything for you. With exercise and a good diet, protein will definitely help though.

With that said, I'd suggest you try casein. It is better at keeping you feeling full than whey protein. You can find whey in most supermarkets, but casein is only at a nutrition place like GNC.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Protein shakes will help you attain lean muscle mass which in turn aids your body in burning more calories throughout the day. It also helps you feel full longer. It is recommended that you consume one serving about an hour pre-workout and immediately after your workout to ensure that your muscles are properly fueled. However, it should not be the only thing that you consume for breakfast.
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    Protein powder on its own won't do anything for you. With exercise and a good diet, protein will definitely help though.

With that said, I'd suggest you try casein. It is better at keeping you feeling full than whey protein. You can find whey in most supermarkets, but casein is only at a nutrition place like GNC.
    Casein is better consumed before going to bed as it is a slow release protein and helps your body refrain from starvation throughout the night. Whey protein is better suited for pre and post workout.
  • fordgal41
    fordgal41 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I having been using protein (whey) powders after my workouts, mostly at night, to help me from eating at night. I found a great powder online... the flavor is called Cupcake Batter by All The Whey... but they went out of business. :( Have you found another brand that doesn't taste like, well, a protein drink? LOL I'm almost out of my supply! :(
  • gdonewar
    gdonewar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest supplements (including protein) only if you're into extreme durations or intensity levels of exercise where you can't practically consume enough natural protein to keep up with your body's demand. To stave hunger, try things like fat free greek yogurt, a tablespoon of peanut butter, a banana, or a handful of seeds or nuts. Science hasn't perfected a food better than God's design-whole foods or as close it are better choices.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i drink Amplify protein smoothie every day. i stay full and it's helping me lose weight. i got it at GNC
    i also work-out 6 days per week and watch what i eat very carefully, so the protein shake in itself isn't making me lose weight, but i know it's helping to replace other fatty foods i used to eat.

just wanted to edit to say that i also add carnation malted milk powder and sugar free hershey syrup to my smoothie every day and i feel like i'm cheating with a chocolate malt!!!
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I used to drink the Pro-5 Protein Powder Shakes bought at NutriShop. I have been working out intensively 1-2 hours in the evenings and want to drink one afterwards however with the food chart MFP has set up for me, my protein is already met with my food I have eaten during the day. Is it alright to go over for protein? I don't want to have double the amount if I don't need it and in turn gain weight.

By the way - I have tried their Banana, Chocolate and Coffee and I love the taste!
  • chicklidell
    Options
    Protein shakes will help you attain lean muscle mass which in turn aids your body in burning more calories throughout the day. It also helps you feel full longer. It is recommended that you consume one serving about an hour pre-workout and immediately after your workout to ensure that your muscles are properly fueled. However, it should not be the only thing that you consume for breakfast.

Protein from food should be your first choice though. The majority of people who work out, do not need protein shakes, I consume 150grams of protein, rarely does it come from a bottle. If you can't get it through your diet then go to powder, but why waste money when eggs and tuna are so cheap. you also have to rememebr that there's calories in that powder.
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    Per MFP it only allows me 64-68g of protein after I input my exercise for the day..food alone for the day reaches that amount
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    Per MFP it only allows me 64-68g of protein after I input my exercise for the day..food alone for the day reaches that amount
    I don't know if the protein is correct on MFP, I believe it should be 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight (at least) to build lean muscle if you are active.
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    I don't know if the protein is correct on MFP, I believe it should be 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight (at least) to build lean muscle if you are active.

Thank You for the response, I appreciate it! Yes I want to buid lean muscle and also loose weight