new to my fitness pal have a question?

Options
can anyone help? I have been just recording calories through quick but want to put down what i ate but the things i find in the search is not the right calorie count please help

Replies

• Prozack1964
    Options
    sorry not sure what to tell you there thats what I had been doing too
  • Hink4Iowa
    Hink4Iowa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Prozack thats the easy way out im sure
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Prozack thats the easy way out im sure

:laugh:

I'm running into the same problem. The calorie counts are off for me as well. For example yesterday I had half cup of cottage cheese. My container says 120 cals for 1/2 cup. MFP says 102 cals. I know it doesn't seem like much but when things are off by a little each time it adds up!

Ah well. :smokin: Haha
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You can always just enter them in as quick calories..or you can find the specific brand or add your product. I haven't had a problem with finding the exact product on this site!
  • kugagirl
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing - i have had great luck when i list the brand - it has matched up to whatever the package says - try that..... hope this helps!
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    use what the container says. you can submit corrections to the nutrition facts if you think they are wrong. keep in mind that different brands have slightly different contents
  • kupc4k3
    kupc4k3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Remember if you guys are eating something store bought, it will have bar code on it. Use the bar code scanner on your app for the easiest and most accurate way to put what you've ate!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Remember if you guys are eating something store bought, it will have bar code on it. Use the bar code scanner on your app for the easiest and most accurate way to put what you've ate!

Sometimes the bar code comes up with weird stuff if you use store brands, though. I scanned a bottle of BBQ sauce from my grocery store, and it came up as salad dressing!

Also, sometimes the serving sizes can be a little off....1/2 cup of one brand of cottage cheese may be a little less than 1/2 cup of another brand depending on how dense it is. I always try to weigh instead of measure in a cup if at all possible.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    Add what you have in front of you. It's easy enough to do on the computer or with the app.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've never had that problem. When I pull up the brand and serving size, it has always been exactly right with the package. I love the bar code scanner app for the phone.
  • Janeesheppard
    Janeesheppard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Once a scan an item, if MFP doesn't have the same info as the package, I enter manually:wink:
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Key is to try to be specific as possible- always try searching with the brand first. You'll get the hang of it. If all else fails, you can manually add it you your "my foods" section and add in all the nutritional info yourself.