tips for baking?

Options
jldaley09
jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
I am relatively a novice cook, and I was making my favorite muffins today and when I entered it into the recipes they were 230 cals each.
here is the recipe:
1 1/3 c flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cloves
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/4 c canola oil
1 c sour cream (I used 1 c plain fat free greek yogurt)
1 l granny smith apple (I used 2 tiny ones because its what I had)
1/2 c walnuts (optional)
1/2 c sweetened dried cranberries

Here is my question, if I sub applesauce for the oil, could I reduce the sugar? and if so by how much?
I know using wheat flour in bread it has to be balanced with white or it wont turn out, if I sub wheat flour for the white, can I do it straight across or will have have to have a wheat/white mixture as well. I just want to make them healthy and I like the walnuts in them,and they are so hearty! If I can cut the calories down some I want to try. I just have never really modified recipes much. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you use whole wheat pastry flour you can sub it all otherwise half or they may be dense. you can use less sugar I would try 1/4 cup and think it shouldnt change the texture to much or agave could be subbed I would try 1/4 cup also oh deff try the applesauce that should work no problem. I am not doing much baking while dieting but ww pastry is great for all baking :)
  • kupc4k3
    kupc4k3 Posts: 12
    Options
    You can substitute regular sugar for Splenda. They have it also like brown sugar!
    Splenda has zero Calories unlike regular sugar and it is left unabsorbed. So you'll save a lot of Calories there seeing how one teaspoon of sugar is about 15kcals!
  • ve022
    ve022 Posts: 21
    Options
    Be careful with splenda.... as there is a difference. I would use the baking splenda... as there is granule and baking.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I use applesauce all the time for baking, but I don't use the sweetened kind, mainly because it's a few more calories. But definitely don't use it as a substitute for sugar. It's an added sweetness, but not enough to make up for the real thing.

Oh, and replace eggs with the fake ones, like Egg Beaters or Break-free. It makes less of a mess and the cholesterol and fat are dramatically reduced.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I don't like to use splenda, I have a problem with sugar substitutes. My applesauce does not have much added sugar, just a tiny bit as its homemade and I can control how much sugar goes into it. I have Agave so I might try that! Great idea! And thanks for the information on the Pastry flour. I just want these to be as healthy and whole as possible. Oh and I don't worry too much about the eggs, I have my own chickens so I always have more than enough.