Great Banana Muffins

Options
Fayve
Fayve Posts: 411 Member
So I've been trying to play around with my mother's to-die-for Banana Muffins. I came up with something way healthier in comparison, and I think it could be altered in an infinite amount of ways to fit your needs!

DSC00534.jpg

Start off with some over-ripe bananas. One of the great thing is that this recipe seems no-fail. I've made it with 3 bananas, 5, 7, etc. They still come off great. The more, the better (and moister, mmm). I'd probably not go beyond 6 medium/large, or 7 small without adjusting the recipe however.

3-6 overripe bananas, pureed
1 whole egg
1/2 cup applesauce (I used sweetened in this recipe, since I also cut out the sugar from the original recipe. Feel free to use unsweetened, and you can always add some stevia, or up to 1/4 cup sugar if you don't mind the extra calories).
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I used Dymatize Gourmet Vanilla)
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Spray your muffin tin with a bit of non-stick baking spray, then bake at 375 degrees, for 18-20 minutes - Until a toothpick comes out "clean"

These ingredients ended up making 12 muffins, each at 111 calories/21c/7p/1f. 3 grams of fiber, and 198 sodium.

A tip for bananas. I always buy larger bundles, and if I don't eat them all before they start to get too speckled, I'll simply peel them, put them in a ziploc freezer bag and chuck them in the freezer until I'm ready to bake with them. Then, take them out of the freezer a few hours before you start, or you can nuke them in the microwave for about a minute until they're soft enough to puree.

I'd like to mention, with the alterations to this recipe, it doesn't taste as "banana-y" as I would have hoped, but the texture is great and very moist. This is where it's almost better as a generic muffin where you can add just about anything to! For me, I like to split it in half and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on them. You can add just about anything to it before the baking process. Chocolate chips, any sort of nuts, berries, raisins. I usually add some flax seed as well if I have it on hand.

Good luck!

Replies