1st Zumba class!

Hi I started last Saturday and am sticking to my diet and exercise. I have been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill burning about 300 calories but it is still hard! I am at 3.5 MPH with a 1% incline for 30 mins. Anyway decided to take a Zumba class but a little nervous. Anybody do this before? Is the class hard? Should I take it. Would love some friends for fitness.

Replies

• iluvchad4
    iluvchad4 Posts: 30 Member
    You will love it!! Don't be upset if you can't follow at first. It might take a couple of classes, but you will catch on!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,548 Member
    Go!!! It's really fun (if you like to dance) and as my instructor says "don't take yourself too seriously, just keep moving and eventually you'll pick it up".
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Do it!!!

I started Zumba on DVDs because I the idea of making a fool of myself in front of a bunch of other people didn't appeal to me, so if you're worried about that I'd take that route. But, it is SUPER fun. And it only took me a few days to get most of the moves down, and just this week I started my first real Zumba class, and it was even better. The time just flies by, it's an hour and a half class and I don't even notice it.
  • It depends on the teacher and their choreography, but even if you don't get the steps, KEEP MOVING! I have three friends that became Zumba instructors and I sweat my BUTT off in their classes - 60 minutes!!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    if you like to dance, you will love it :)
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    I love zumba and would recommend it to anyone xx
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Definitely go, it is a lot of fun. My best advice is to try several different teachers/classes if you can. The reason I say that is that zumba isn't a standardised product/experience in the same way that other fitness classes (e.g. Les Mills) are so you can go to two different teachers and they will offer very different 'versions' of zumba. For example, some will focus on really traditional Latin rhythms, some will do more reggaeton/modern latin grooves, and some will do a mixture of everything, along with some more mainstream pop songs. Moves wise,, some teachers offer very 'dancy' clases, whilst other classes are more of an aerobic nature with a dance feel.

Not sure if I'm not just rambling on here, but bottom line - every teacher brings something different to the table. I've been to classes where the students love the teacher, and not been able to see the appeal, and vice versa.

Anyway, I'm sure wherever you go you'll have a blast!
  • Mama2CnR
    Mama2CnR Posts: 44 Member
    I LOVE Zumba!! I am naturally a very self concious person and was sooooo nervous going into my first Zumba class alone, especially since I am a terrible dancer, a little clumsy and lack coordination but I absolutley loved it! And once I got into it, I realized how little it mattered if I was getting every single step right, as long as I kept my heart rate up and had fun!

Im not sure if it's this way in other classes but one of the things I love about my Zumba class is how diverse the participants are, it ranges from super fit people to obese and early 20's to early 80's! I just love that it's something EVERYONE can do :)
  • boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    you will love it:laugh:
  • mandykav
    mandykav Posts: 2 Member
    I love love love my Zumba class I go twice a week and I look forward to it every week!!