feeling sick while working out

Options
I can say that an average fit person, even though i weight a lot i work hard at the gym.... but a few times now while on the stair master OMG i feel like i'm going to be sick, i ususally do 20 min on this machine but i was only able to do 6min. That is after a 15min of HIIT on the treadmill. I don't know i'm just a bit concern that's all. Has anybody else experience this b4?

Replies

• ronkswife2000
    ronkswife2000 Posts: 176
    Options
    I've never experienced this?? Could it be because you're eating or drinking right before working out???
  • Qt_JJ
    Qt_JJ Posts: 9
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes I'll feel like I'm going to be ill, or sometimes like I'm going to pass out, even when I'm not working out all that hard. It's a sign of dehydration. Trust me when I say that drinking extra water during your exercise won't help. You need to slowly but steadily hydrate all day long. I have bad circulation (small veins) and it makes me dehydrate waaaaay easier and faster than most people. It sucks. If you feel sick, you need to stop. It's your body telling you something is wrong.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens quite often to people but there are mixed feelings as to what causes it exactly.

You'll find tons of information if you google your question.

Some say it's not eating before working out, others say it's eating too close to working out, or drinking too much water before or working too hard too fast. You'll really have to try a few possibilities & see what adjustments you can make.

I'd have to say that this happened to me more often when I first started working out, but now I rarely, if ever experience it.

Good luck to you!!
  • heatyola
    heatyola Posts: 12
    Options
    I did a Body Works cardio/strength training class last week. For 60 minutes we do exercises with a bar and 10 lb. weights. My heart was beating so fast, I started to feel like I was going to faint and then I DID start to throw up. The trainer said that when we over exert our muscles they start to produce lactose which is what makes us sick and causes us to throw up. I coulnd't even keep down water all night after that work out. I went to bed SICK.

I work out hard doing many different cardio classes a week plus the treadmill and the elliptical and NEVER have I got as sick as with weight training class. My muscles are still sore and it has been 6 days!! I am told to wait until my muscles recoup before taking another class.

Oh yeah and I weight train 3x a week on the weight machines but they are easy compared to free weights.

Heather
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No i'm not eating right before, an hour before i eat something light..

QTJJ- You could be right I'm doing my workout in the middle of the day how much water should i be drinking.. I'm doing right now about 10glasses on average throughout the day.. 12 when I work out

Yeah after 6min I was like holy crap what's going on.. so i stop waitef for my heart rate to lower and and went on the bike instead.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? i tend to feel that way if my body is starved.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    I did a Body Works cardio/strength training class last week. For 60 minutes we do exercises with a bar and 10 lb. weights. My heart was beating so fast, I started to feel like I was going to faint and then I DID start to throw up. The trainer said that when we over exert our muscles they start to produce lactose which is what makes us sick and causes us to throw up. I coulnd't even keep down water all night after that work out. I went to bed SICK.

I work out hard doing many different cardio classes a week plus the treadmill and the elliptical and NEVER have I got as sick as with weight training class. My muscles are still sore and it has been 6 days!! I am told to wait until my muscles recoup before taking another class.

Oh yeah and I weight train 3x a week on the weight machines but they are easy compared to free weights.

Heather

is that right? mmm i'm going to try a lower level tomorrow...see what happens.. thank you
  • StacieRoth
    StacieRoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It sounds like to me, that your blood sugar may be dropping. I know that is what happened to me before. Make sure either before or after your workout that you eat a good protein, cheese, yogurt, or even a protein shake, don't eat a full meal though, just a snack, your body will need something to burn off. Stay away from carbs right before and after your workout. But most importantly, your body is trying to tell you something, so listen to it, and stop until your nausea subsides.

Stacie (135 pounds lost and counting!)
  • Pineapples
    Options

I had like a 700 cal breakfast this AM(7) with lots of protein and some carbs.. I went to the gym at 12, i didn't have any snacks in between though
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    If I don't eat enough before I work out I will feel sick. Have you tried eating a protein bar before you work out? I recommend Kashi Go Lean Crunchy bars...they are the only thing that keeps me going during my workout and well after. It could also be from eating something heavy before you work out? I hope you figure it out so you can continue your workouts!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I had like a 700 cal breakfast this AM(7) with lots of protein and some carbs.. I went to the gym at 12, i didn't have any snacks in between though

hmm, that should be okay. May want to up the carbs a bit, I know people don't like 'em but if I don't have enough it tends to be harder. If that doesn't work then eat a little bit before you workout. Do you drink coffee? Caffeinne can make me sick too.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    pregnant?
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options
    This has only happened to my once in the gym, 1st day back after not working out for awhile. It has happened numerous times while hiking, always early in a hike while hiking up a steep slope. The common things are I'm always trying to go too hard too fast and if I stop, control my breathing and hydrate a bit I'm usually good to go within 10 minutes and the going is usually much easier after hitting the wall.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    i had to cut out the caffeine before my workouts. When I stopped drinking coffee in the morning, I quit having that sick, light headed feeling during my workouts. i just decided in my unscientific way that maybe the caffeine was pushing my heart rate too high. This was just me though, I have no science to back me up
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Make sure not to drink too much water before or during a work out and make sure you are breathing properly. Not having enough oxygen can make you feel ill and end up getting light headed. As always it's good to consult a physician