"jump start" your metabolism

Options
Is it true that you eat something before you workout, if you are doing an early morning workout?? I get up, take kids to school and hit the gym. Before I leave I eat a banana or granola bar. After I get home, then I eat breakfast. Just curious if it is necessary?? Would love to save the 90+ calories LOL

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Is it true that you eat something before you workout, if you are doing an early morning workout?? I get up, take kids to school and hit the gym. Before I leave I eat a banana or granola bar. After I get home, then I eat breakfast. Just curious if it is necessary?? Would love to save the 90+ calories LOL

Increased meal frequency does not increase your metabolism. So if you want to save cals, by all means skip breakfast etc and move those cals to other meals
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    personally, i prefer to start my day with some good carbs like oatmeal, some peanut butter mixed in for protein and fats, and a banana for some potassium and sugar, and about 30 minutes later i'm in the gym. after the gym i drink a protein shake.

but thats all it is, personal preference.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    All personal preference. I like to eat, but I can workout fasted, or not.

I start my day pretty regularly with Oats and peanutbutter as well.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I would try it both ways and see how your workout goes. Some people definitely need food before they workout. If you don't, then save the calories.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    All personal preference. I like to eat, but I can workout fasted, or not.

I start my day pretty regularly with Oats and peanutbutter as well.

internet+bro+fist+brofist+template+place+fist+here+bro.jpg
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    dont_bro_me.jpg
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal preference. For me, if I don't eat on my cardio days I find myself passing out before my workout is done. Obviously this isn't conducive to anything so I make sure to eat some good carbs to fuel my little workout.
  • empleh69
    Options
    OK, I have exercised both ways and really no difference for me. I have just heard that eating alittle something gets you metabolism going before the workout. Guess it doesn't. O well lol
  • empleh69
    Options
    bump
  • choccyqueen83
    choccyqueen83 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have nothing useful to say but those pics made me laugh :D
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It depends.

I used to go out jogging before breakfast - so, fasted cardio. Fine.

Recently, I stared doing a 7 am strength class - and found that I got light headed and dizzy unless I ate a little something beforehand.

So - if you can work out on an empty stomach with no ill effects, fine! If your body objects - then feed it!
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed a difference. I only notice the difference between no coffee and having coffee before my workout. LOL.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed a difference. I only notice the difference between no coffee and having coffee before my workout. LOL.

QFT :heart: lol
  • FayeMoke
    Options
    What does the frequent meals thing accomplish? What does increase metabolism? Do you know sources for saying that the frequent meals won't raise metabolism?