Why cant I give up cookies!!

Options
This is just driving me nuts. I can be such a healthy eater then I see the package of cookies and I want some! Almost everytime I see them I give into temptation and I crash. I wouldnt have the cookies in my house except I am living with my parents (due to finacial trouble) and my dad loves cookies and ice cream and all sorts of junk.... mind you he is a bean pole! I want to lose weight now not wait till I am financially stable to move out and not have the crap in my house. HELP!!

Replies

• coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Simple. Because you're human and they're DELICIOUS!

You have to give yourself one or two little vices. If you go all health food all the time, you're more likely to crave and binge on junk food at some point.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Drink water or tea, chew some gum, get out of the house and walk, or ask them to put the junk food somewhere that you can't see so you won't be as tempted.

It's hard! The more you say "no" the easier it gets. Go for your goals! :)
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    totally feel your pain...I, too, am a cookie monster :blushing:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at them as forbidden. Fit a moderate amount of cookies, and any other food you enjoy, into your daily calories. This will get rid of the "I already blew it, so I may as well go all out" mentality.
  • jdbeckers
    Options
    If you love cookies so much then maybe find a healthy cookie recipe to eat as an alternative?

Check out this...cookies 100 calories or less http://tinyurl.com/6mmtrbf

Your dad would probably appreciate it if you wouldn't eat his cookies...in the end it's all about choices, what is more important, a cookie or losing a pound?

Don't forbid the things you love, just find a healthier alternative!
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am this way but it's with chocalate. SO feel your pain. Good advise from others though. Once in a while it's okay to have some, but not all the time. Gum helps.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Totally hearing you. Have to agree with what the others are saying -factor cookies into your cal. intake and don't feel guilty for enjoying food. Also, have you tried home made cookies?
  • robbdc
    robbdc Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey..just as long as you are under your caloric deficit, that's all that matters.(if you aren't concerned about body composition) Have ONE cookie. If you can't just have ONE, you need to mentally prepare to think of these high density items as the enemy. Your brain is sending impulses to you to grab it because you crave sugar. Get off the stuff for a week and cravings will go away. It might not be the funnest adventure but you'll gain great rewards..and loose unwanted fat.

Another strategy is to view the consumption of a cookie (or beer, or any treat) as some sort of reward for reaching a 5 lb goal. Of course you are jeopardizing that 5 lb loss once you start eating those cookies!!

I also like the alternative 'healthy cookie' idea but be careful with that too. It's really easy to down a batch and chalk it up to being a healthy snack! :)
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up cookies. I met my weight goal 6 months ago (down 50 lbs to my currently weight of 117) while having a cookie or two pretty much every day. I have also maintained my goal weight for the past 6 months still having a cookie or two every day. I fit it into my calorie goal and am a little more choosy about which cookies I eat. If I'm gonna fit them in, I'm gonna get the good expensive ones, they satisfy the craving much better than the crappy cheap ones!
  • wilnat
    wilnat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice and support!:smile:
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up cookies. I met my weight goal 6 months ago (down 50 lbs to my currently weight of 117) while having a cookie or two pretty much every day. I have also maintained my goal weight for the past 6 months still having a cookie or two every day. I fit it into my calorie goal and am a little more choosy about which cookies I eat. If I'm gonna fit them in, I'm gonna get the good expensive ones, they satisfy the craving much better than the crappy cheap ones!

I love your approach; I've adopted the same.

If I want a cookie, I'm going to make sure it's the BEST cookie ever. Why waste your calories on cheap crap, when you can thoroughly enjoy the good stuff?

A small piece of Lindt chocolate satisfies my chocolate cravings FAR more than a Mars bar ever could. No comparison. OP, enjoy your cookies, and like another poster suggested, find good healthy recipes as alternatives. I personally recommend freezing individual raw cookie dough and baking only two at a time. That way, you have to wait for the oven to heat (we appreciate what we have to wait for and you won't eat them when you're starving), and you get fresh, hot cookies. Pretty hard to beat, if you ask me! :)