Noob here, question on logging exercise, P90X v. Insanity?!

Options
Hi All,

I am very new to MFP, just started with some coworkers to log our foods and encourage each other with the advice of a friend and my doctor to use MFP as a good resource for this.

My question involves exercise and how should I log it?! Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated!!

I volunteer at a charitable bingo game once a week, which I am on my feet 98% of the time (occasionally I get a chance to sit for a 1 or 2 minute break). The night is about 4 hours long, with the first hour being stressful, because I'm bouncing around a small room to keep things running smoothly, but not necessarily walking/running briskly, because the room is small so at the most I can take 10 or so steps any which way.

Throughout the rest of the night there are times when I am walking very fast, sometimes running, around the bingo hall to do callbacks and payouts and I have to be quick then, but I don't know that there's anyway to really log it, but I know am getting some kind of a workout during this night. Aside from the 1st hour in the small room, the other 3 hours I spend probably half of it calling bingo (not much exercise here, but I am standing, lol) and then the other half is interspersed with fairly light walking, if any, and those quick spirts mentioned above.

I also was on youtube and got to watching some inspiring videos from Tommy Mygrant and his success story with p90x. Can anyone shed some light about which program would be a better investment in the long run, p90x or Insanity?

Thanks in advance!!

Brady

Replies

• gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a level up from P90X, intense and hardcore...so if you want to purchase one, start with P90X (which doesn't mean this one is a walk in the park)...or even Power 90, another offering from Beachbody.
  • bhayesosu
    Options
    Thannks Gypsy. I didn't realize there were other products. I'll have to check out Beachbody.

I'm still a skeptic about the whole infommercial exercise equipment/workouts thing. Anyone else have reallife experience with p90x or insanity. It would be nice to hear it from a real person! haha.
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do P90X and I love it!
    You do have to buy weights and a pull up bar or bands
    I have never done insanity so I don't know about that one!
    Good luck!
  • lesliewylie
    Options
    Definitely give P90X a try! I have done it the last two summers. I will warn you it is a bit of a time commitment. 6 days a week. the shortest workout is 42mins and the longest is 92mins (yoga - necessary!). If you can commit to doing it, its a FANTASTIC program, and you will start to see results and feel positive changes within the first 4 weeks. your stamina and strength will shoot through the roof from week to week. Its a great program. and the better you eat, the better you will perform the workouts. when you buy the program, they also give you a food program/recipe book. there are some great and really easy recipes in there you should try! good luck Brady!!!
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i just ordered my heart rate monitor (hopefully itll be here tomorrow) but up until now i just guessed how many calories i burned and created my own exercise. i made my guess based on other cardio and my history of burn rates for those. hopefully i will get much more accurate data
  • jarheadjo
    Options
    I think you are comparing aplles to oranges . P90X is a circuit training video and insanity is more of an aerobic exercise. P90X is going to help build muscle that you lose as you get older. You need this muscle to help aid in weight loss. It also helps to form your body. I would go for the P90X myself. I did both and got better results from the P90X, I actually did not see any results or changes with the insanity workout and I never missed a day.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Having experienced P90X twice and now I'm on my third week of round 3, plus also knowing how Insanity is, I will say go for P90X. I'll tell you this right now, if you want results you need to commit yourself, push yourself beyond your level of comfort and always do your best. With that said, you'll find at the beginning you might not be able to finish workouts, and take more breaks than you'd like to. The good news is, it is OK! We all go thru the same and you will see your improvement on a weekly basis. That's why it is important that you always try to do more than the previous week so you become stronger and catch up with the maniacs on the screen :D

Always ask questions, there are plenty of us here who have experience with the program and will be happy to help you!
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    I loved P90X! I did it before I had my second baby and was in the best shape of my life. As someone else said, you do need weights and a pull up bar. I heard that Insanity just uses your body, so you don't need any equipment. Also, I have the Turbo Jam videos from Beach Body, which are more like kickboxing/dance style, so I am not sure if that is something you are interested in. But I really enjoy them. I would like to start P90X again soon though!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    P90X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DanielleHodgins
    DanielleHodgins Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your goals. Tommy is a great guy...was just on a call with him last night. P90X is more geared toward strength and resistance training, and a few cardio days, and Insanity is primarily all down and dirty cardio with some body weight resistance drills. I would not recommend Insanity unless you are somewhat conditioned already, the last thing I'd want you to do is get frustrated and bail. P90X does have more options to modify if you can't go all out. And our bodies love muscle, the more muscle we have the higher our metabolism and rate that we burn calories. And Power 90 is the precurser to P90X if you're not ready to go 'extreme' just yet. ;~} Definitely do some research, but any of the programs you can return during the guarantee period if you find its not for you, and try something else.

Best wishes...you can do it!!

Danielle
  • BJAdW
    BJAdW Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    P90X and Insanity are both pretty crazy. P90X focuses a bit more on strength training with Insanity focusing a little more on cardio and core. I completed P90X on it's own and then did a hybrid of the 2: P90X for building muscle, and then I replaced plyometrics and cardio with Insanity's version. Either way, you can't go wrong. Prepare to work your butt off, prepare to see results, and prepare to be proud of your hard work!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think you are comparing aplles to oranges . P90X is a circuit training video and insanity is more of an aerobic exercise. P90X is going to help build muscle that you lose as you get older. You need this muscle to help aid in weight loss. It also helps to form your body. I would go for the P90X myself. I did both and got better results from the P90X, I actually did not see any results or changes with the insanity workout and I never missed a day.

I have to agree with you there, although I'm burning lots of calories with Insanity, I know a lot of people who's results with Insanity are almost nothing compared to P90X. I'm currently doing P90X in the mornings and Insanity Cardio/Intervals at night, which definitely is giving me results even faster, but Insanity on its own is not that much of a deal.

I've heard Insanity Asylum is a different story though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a level up from P90X, intense and hardcore...so if you want to purchase one, start with P90X (which doesn't mean this one is a walk in the park)...or even Power 90, another offering from Beachbody.

No, Insanity is not a level up from P90X.

Insanity is a cardio based program that does some body weight strength training, whereas P90X is a strength program with some cardio and yoga included. If your goal is to shed fat, Insanity may be a bit better, if your goal is to build or maintain muscle mass while losing fat, P90X would be the better program.
  • mnd32
    mnd32 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have both p90x and insanity. It kind of depends on your mentality I think. I can't stand tony horton for some reason, and to me it seems to drag on forever. Plus you have to have weights and a pull up bar. Insanity is right out of the gate 100mph! You only need you, no equipment, and it is crazy hard core. I love the fast pace because it seems to go by quicker and I burn tons of calories! Either one will get you great results but if you are lookings to shed calories I would do insanity. I think p90x would be great after because it's more weights and muscle building. But that's just me! Check out half price books or other resale shops. I got mine there super cheap!
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do P90X and I love it!
    You do have to buy weights and a pull up bar or bands
    I have never done insanity so I don't know about that one!
    Good luck!

I agree I love P90X as well...it is what I started out with and suggest. But, if you don't want to buy anything except the videos Insanity is amazing and you don't do any weights it is all with your body weight.
  • ZigZas
    ZigZas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like others, I have done both workouts, and my favorite is the hybrid P90x / Insanity workout. P90x on the weight days (M/W/F) and Insanity workouts on the others (T/TH/S). If you want to build muscle go P90x if you are looking for an aerobic workout go Insanity. Both are commitments, but both programs produce results if you commit to them.

To be honest, sticking to the diet was/is harder than the workouts for me.
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options

No, Insanity is not a level up from P90X.

Insanity is a cardio based program that does some body weight strength training, whereas P90X is a strength program with some cardio and yoga included. If your goal is to shed fat, Insanity may be a bit better, if your goal is to build or maintain muscle mass while losing fat, P90X would be the better program.

LOL sorry. I'm not that elitist. I was trying to put things in layman's terms and explaining intensity based on my personal experience.
  • drodis81
    drodis81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and am doing P90X. I started two weeks ago but didnt do the workouts every day. I wanted to ease into it and get my muscles ready. Starting on Monday I start the program officially and begin my 90 days. I hate the yoga DVD, do you think I could just do plyo twice and skip yoga? Any tips for someone new? I have to be successful, I cannot take this yo-yo dieting - its killing me. I need to find something that works that I can fit into my super busy schedule. Any guidance would be appreciated!
  • JesseJaymz
    JesseJaymz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    it all depends on what you're looking for. personally i like p90x over insanity because it's a longer program and has a lot of strength training with cardio. insanity is mostly cardio. i've done both and for me p90x was a lot better. i wouldn't suggest p90x2 without being somewhat advanced in working out already. p90x the first you can follow really easily having no previous experience. insanity you don't need anything but your bodyweight and the p90x's you need a little bit of equipment.
  • clmbngymrat
    Options
    drodis83 I agree with you
    I have liked the P90X but have to agree that I am not a big fan of Tony's Yoga...
    I do think Yoga is an important part of the training. It is strength, stretch and works the muscles. I would suggest if you don't like the P90X yoga, try a different Yoga tape. One that is similar, you would be looking for at least a 60 to 90 min Power Yoga or Ashtanga Yoga. This is the more intense yoga. I used to have one that I loved but don't remember what the name of it or i would suggest that to you. If you would like some recommendations let me know and I will dig it up.

Good luck to you.