Brown Rice

Options
So I decided that I officially suck at cooking brown rice. It tastes nasty every time I make it:angry: ....Anyone have any tasty tips to cooking it. I have tried the cheap way with just the bag and also the kind thats in the bag that you drop the whole thing in water...

HELP!:grumble:

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes the same as white rice but that's me. Are you cooking it long enough? 45 minutes cooking time is the average but maybe you can add 5 minutes? Can you spare a few calories and use a 1:1 ratio of chicken or beef stock and water to improve the taste? Add tarragon or rosemary to the cooking water?
    It is better for you because it's less refined than white, and therefore is a complex carb, which is supposed to be better for you. Good luck.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    What is the bag thing you cook it in? I get organic brown rice and measure 1 cup to 2 cups of water. I have some basil and garlic cubes and I add one for flavour. I cook it for the length of time said on the package and it always turns out well.

Lundbergs has some amazing black rice that has a nutty flvour that is also great
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Add some picante sauce to the water while cooking. Tastes like spanish rice. Just make sure you cook it long enough. It takes forever!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Rice Expressions? It's microwaveable and it's delish! It comes out very much like sticky rice used for sushi.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I buy Lundberg (sp?) Family Farms brand of brown rice. I cook it exactly as the package says and it turns out great everytime! I bring the right amount of water and rice (depending on how much rice I'm cooking - there are rice to water ratios on the bag) to a boil uncovered, then turn the heat to LOW and cover. I let it simmer like this for 50 minutes, take it off the heat and let it set for another 10 minutes, still covered. I then uncover, fluff with a fork, and serve! I don't add any salt, butter, oil, or broth and the rice is alway super tasty!

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    I cook it just like white rice, with a bit more water and for around 30 - 40 minutes. When it's done I rinse it with boiling water to get rid of any starch.
  • icandoallthings
    icandoallthings Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    When I don't have time to cook my brown rice, I really
    enjoy Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley
    "Brown & Wild Rice". Takes 90 seconds in the
    microwave. Yummers!

http://www.unclebens.com/rice/ready-whole-grain-medley-brown-wild.aspx
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    When I don't have time to cook my brown rice, I really
    enjoy Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley
    "Brown & Wild Rice". Takes 90 seconds in the
    microwave. Yummers!

http://www.unclebens.com/rice/ready-whole-grain-medley-brown-wild.aspx

I have been buying that!!!!!:):):) its awesome. I guess one of my biggest problems is the fact that this is the first time in my life I have actually cooked my own rice. I got spoiled by chicken fried rice from chinese takeout. I'm probably not even cooking it long enough...:grumble:
  • scplummer
    scplummer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can use long grain white rice if you just can't stand brown rice. Just don't use instant rice or sushi rice etc... make sure it's long grain.

165415.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just an idea to add to your other great suggestions here... Some people are scared of pressure cookers, but I got a stove-top one (not a plug-in) from Williams Sonoma. It's good sturdy quality, so I don't worry. Using it, I can cook brown rice in a third of the regular stove time, and it comes out right every time. Just follow the directions carefully. (also great for cooking beans and legumes faster). Only downside is that it has to be handwashed and that takes a little time.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I bought a microwave rice cooker on a clearance rack somewhere and it works great. It only takes 28 minutes to cook brown rice.
  • ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I sautee my brown rice in a little butter or olive oil (about 1 - 2 tsp per cup) and then I add equal parts water. I add salt or Garlic Salt and a seasoning (depending on what I make - I tried herb de provance the other night and even my son loved it!) and mix. I make it in a wide pan...the flat pan space the better it ubsorbs the water so you don't have super chewy bits and soggy bits. I bring the water to a boil and then set to low covered. Also, I use Mahatma Brand Long Grain Brown Rice. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. Good luck!