chia seeds

Options
does anyone here use chia seeds? Do they help with weight loss?

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I use them. They are a good source of protein and Omegas. I like to dip a banana in them and eat it before a run. Also, water, a little lemon juice, honey, and a tablespoon of seeds is a great energy drink.

No clue if they help with weight loss. Just know that they are good for you.
  • juliemval
    juliemval Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Like the same ones in chia pets? I didn't know you could eat those.
  • kathy40468
    Options
    according to doctor oz they really help you lose weight I am going to try them soon so Ill post if they help
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I didn't know what these were, I had to look them up...

http://www.chiaseeds.us/chia-seeds-side-effects.htm
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    they have some admirable nutritious qualities (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2)

the texture can be off-putting so it may matter to you HOW you eat them.

I've read a blog where the person puts a tablespoon of them in her yogurt and they puff up like tapioca and make the yogurt fluffy.

I make a strange concoction of chopped dried fruits, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds and tahini. I add a couple tablespoons of this to my yogurt and oats that I prepare in the evening for my next day's breakfast. Overnight the oats and chia seeds absorb the yogurt moisture and in the morning I have a really hearty bowl of breakfast goodness to eat!

good luck and happy eating!
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds EVERYDAY! It adds about 5 gr fibre to my oatmeal.

Don't cook with it - the heat diminishes it or something. I put a Tablespoon of chia seeds in my bowl with 2-3 Tblsp water. Stir it around and let it sit about 5-10 minutes while your oatmeal is cooking. It will get geletanous (sp). Then dump your oatmeal on top, mix it in and enjoy! No taste, just all that extra fibre and goodness.

Then for my mid-morning snack I have plain yogurt, chia seeds (another Tbls) and some blueberries.
    You can eat the seeds as is, but I like them soaked.

At first a whole tablespoon at once was too much (too much gas!), so I cut back to 1/2 T each time, but now I'm used to it.
    Does it cause weightloss? Well, it adds such a nutritional punch that it's gotta help!
  • nichrism
    Options
    I recently started eating a tablespoon of chia seeds in my oatmeal every morning (the serving size is 2 tablespoons but they're a little pricey so I cut it in half) and I've got to say that that small amount makes a huge impact. Finally breakfast fills me up!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love them and Chia gel
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh, and they can get stuck between your teeth! Feels and looks funny! :laugh:
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I put them in smoothies. Lots of nutritional benefit and no change to taste. I've been wanting to make chia pudding for a long time but haven't ever done it.
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have begun using them after seeing Dr.Oz, I put them in my oatmeal, or sprinkle on whole wheat toast one slice fold it over.. nice and crunchie
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options

the texture can be off-putting so it may matter to you HOW you eat them.

I can't tell that they help with weight loss, as some are supposed to suppress your appetite (I'm ALWAYS hungry). I add them sometimes to yogurt and oatmeal...but the texture, I agree, is a little off putting.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i put them in a cheese enchilada, on oatmeal after its cooked, and smoothie
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I put them in smoothies. Lots of nutritional benefit and no change to taste. I've been wanting to make chia pudding for a long time but haven't ever done it.

Just made a chia protein pudding...going to let it sit in the fridge over night... hope its GOOD!

EDIT: as for helping w/ weight loss...Im not positive, but I normally add 1 TBSP to my steel cut oats (along w/ 1 TBSP of unsalted chunky Trader Joes peanut butter) and I am full the entire morning... prior to adding the chia the oats + PB just wasnt doing the trick.