Caffeine Free

Options
j4nash
j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
Tomorrow will be day 7 without caffeine. Used to drink Monsters and Red Bull on a daily basis.. no more. :)

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I still drink coffee and tea, but not in excess. I used to drink at least one 16 ounce Red Bull per day...and not the sugar free! Eeek! So gross to me now! I haven't had one in about 14 months! And I always drank it WITH MY BREAKFAST! Yikes! Then if I hit an afternoon lull I might have had another. The sad thing was I was just drinking it for an energy buzz while I sat at my desk at work, I wasn't even working out or anything!
  • SherNY
    SherNY Posts: 87
    Options
    Congrats! Not sure anyone would come near me again if I gave up morning java LOL!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeine in September or October. I drank about 5 sodas a day back then as well as sweet tea. I wasn't successful all the time, but now I am caffeine free. I drink water all day now. Which I use to hate, but now I crave it. Weird. lol

Keep up the good job and eventually you wont even miss it!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    That is so impressive! Caffeine is so addicting; I am so proud of you for kicking the habit! :D
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Years and years ago, when I worked in the city, I used to drink Starbuck's "Dopio Compano", which essentially was an expresso quad-shot, twice a day, once in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I remember that most of the days, I don't know what happened between the hours of 9am and 3pm, which meant, at 9am, I would drink my quad-shot and before I knew it, it was already 3pm.

Caffeine is a hard drug to put down.

katie
  • MeandmySweetpea
    MeandmySweetpea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up my one-can-a-day of Dr. Pepper. I still crave it at times, but knowing the side effects it has in my body beyond weight has helped me save it for "special" occasions. Good luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I did the "Low GI" diet about 4 1/2 years ago and one of the FIRST things you have to give up, for that diet, is caffeine.

I *did* have headaches the first 2 weeks (and I wasn't a big coffee drinker - 2 cups a day!).

But, I've been caff-free since then (except the chocolate I ingest from time-to-time) and I won't go back. In this day-and-age, you can find very decent decaf coffee and herbal tea everywhere!
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    Keep up the great work!
  • Rodgers2008
    Options
    I didn't drink soda for a little over a week when I started 2012 but I started drinking it again this week.Trying to give it up again.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

I envy people who can give up caffeine. I just can't do it. I've tried - many times and I just can't get through the withdrawal without caving in. I feel so awful that I finally give in and have coffee or something.

I am 2 days energy drink free. Hoping I can keep going since I think they make me retain water. I'm not giving up my Keurig coffee though. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be day 7 without caffeine. Used to drink Monsters and Red Bull on a daily basis.. no more. :)
    I am ditching the caffeine once I reach my weight goals. I just can't break 2 addictions concurrently.

Gotta crawl before walking...
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    No offense, but you people are nuts ;)
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Excellent! Caffeine is a tough one to kick. I still enjoy my tea, but have been switching it up with herbal some days so I don't get hooked again.

When I was in school, I used to drink two energy drinks a day and at least four cups of black tea. I was a cranky, miserable you-know-what without it. When I was in a particularly foul mood, I actually had a couple of friends who would offer to go buy me a tea. :P
  • willowfyre
    Options
    I did a study on caffeine in psychology last year. While it can be detrimental if you have high amounts (500mg and above), there are still some health benefits to consuming levels under 300mg (about 3-4 cups of coffee). At the end of the study, I kept coffee in my diet and gave up cigarettes instead. :)
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I haven't had any caffeine today. It's been hard because I have chronic fatigue syndrome and some days I just can't get moving. If I do indulge I choose to take half of a caffeine pill (no doze, etc) 100mg. of caffeine in half a tablet and without the carbonization of pop or the sugar in regular soda. Being caffeine free really is the better way to go though!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    New research is actually showing caffeine to have antioxidant properties. I've thought about giving it up, but I can't find a single actual reason to do it. Healthwise, it's actually good for you, and there are few negative side effects, other than trouble sleeping if you consume too much too close to bed time.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Any headaches or withdrawal symptoms? Just curious. I need to do this (again). Congrats on a healthy decision!:smile:
  • mandi3370
    mandi3370 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean... i crave the water all day long... today's jan 12 so i am 12 days caffeine free!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I don't drink coffee, but have the occasional tea.
    My favorite was to have one diet pop per day - I decided that once the case I had in my home was done I wouldn't be buying anymore and that is NOW!!! I will have pop if out for dinner, etc. but it's just not the same taste to me anymore.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I need to give up the Red Bull... I only drink it when I'm at school. I love my coffee, but I really don't need more than one cup a day haha.