gaining muscle mass with cardio

Options
gaining muscle mass with a caloric deficit and cardio will NOT bulk you up...it will not result in adding muscle. A recent poster asked why they were not losing weight despite 5 whole days of starting cardio to supplement their caloric deficit.. While some responses correctly pointed out that cardio does not add muscle and it takes time to see weight loss...poster after poster after psoter told them that they were adding muscle so that explains why there was no weight loss.

Cardio does not add muscle especially while in a caloric deficit. So if the scale isnt moving down as fast as you like....give it time.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    But what if I go swimming in sweats?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

you turn into the hulk unless its before breakfast
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Question!?!

If you crank up the resistance on cardio machines (bike, rowing)... does this count as strength training?

I know it may be a noob question.. but this has been on my mind for some time, saw the post, thought I'd ask. The reason I ask is bc they say that if you do too much cardio without doing strength, you can lose muscle mass...
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    That would be increasing the intensity of your cardio
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Soooo, I should quit trying to cop-out...
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Okay maybe this is a dumb question as well, but when I finished Insanity. I had biceps I never had before and my quads were rock hard. So what was this? If not an increase in muscle and decrease in fat?
  • Marwanyne
    Options
    even if you're doing cardio 5x a week and strength training 3x on a calorie deficit ? no muscle gain at all ?
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

you turn into the hulk unless its before breakfast

Does breakfast end at 10:30 or 11, I always forget
  • Bunnzye
    Bunnzye Posts: 39
    Options
    Goo gobs of people told me throughout the years in all of my weight loss efforts that because I walked a lot and was not losing, that I was gaining muscle. I knew better, but try explaining to someone who would even tell you that, is a waste of time. If walking built up muscle mass, what would we all look like in our lifetime?. we would not need gyms.:laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Okay maybe this is a dumb question as well, but when I finished Insanity. I had biceps I never had before and my quads were rock hard. So what was this? If not an increase in muscle and decrease in fat?

not dumb question...did you also have weight loss? your biceps may be more visble with weight loss and even more toned and stronger...they only got bigger if you were in a caloric surplus...same for quads
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    even if you're doing cardio 5x a week and strength training 3x on a calorie deficit ? no muscle gain at all ?

You can gain strength.

However, gaining mass, whilst eating less, obviously can't happen.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

no increase in muscle mass
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options

I don't have "Insanity", but from what I heard, I thought it included some body weight strength workouts as well as the intense cardio? So maybe you gained strength from the body weight exercises. Or it could be you already had the biceps, but they became more visible with your fat loss. If you keep the muscle you have and lose fat, your muscles generally will look more defined (assuming you had some to start). Just a couple thoughts, I don't really know why you had the results you had, but congrats!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Soooo, I should quit trying to cop-out...

If you've been nothing but a big ole couch potato, doing cardio like elliptical or steppers WILL improve your muscle tone. It can make your legs (in particular) stronger. And, obviously, its good for your CARDIOvascular system... strong heart and lungs! BUT, there's no excuse for not strength training. Women need to know and understand this! Weight bearing exercise helps defend against bone loss (osteroporosis) and muscle loss as we age... particularly once we ladies hit the perimenopausal and menopausal phases of our lives. (Yep, talkin' about me.) So, if you don't mind being a weak, stooped over old lady... skip the strength training. :happy: