Sciatic nerve pain

Options
I have recently been experiencing pain in my sciatic nerve. It's in my lower right leg and I really don't know what to do about it. I have had some lower back pain in the past that may have caused this pain. Does anyone know of any stretches that might be of use? I can take pain killers but I don't have to constantly take medicine for the pain to go away.

Thanks!
KZ

Replies

• JenGrape
    JenGrape Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using the foam roller? It helps break up adhesions and such... it has really helped me with a troublesom quad, and my sciatic nerve pain...
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for like 2 months a few years back and my only solution was to stop what I was doing that was causing it (elliptical).... it cleared up after a week.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Normally, Sciatic nerve pain is due to problems in the lower back.
    I have found an excellent book, that talks about the reasons for lower back problems, and the proper exercises to achieve long term improvement:

Low Back Disorders, Second Edition
    Stuart McGill (Author)

ISBN-10: 0736066926 | ISBN-13: 978-0736066921 | Publication Date: August 13, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Disorders-Second-Stuart-McGill/dp/0736066926/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Good luck !
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this since giving birth to my son in 98. It's like being electrocuted :frown: So sorry you are feeling this pain.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I find a video I did explaining what stretch to do for the sciatic nerve pain. I'm a massage therapist btw. As soon as I'm done with my workout I'll send you the link.
  • cashnhaydensmama
    cashnhaydensmama Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this since giving birth to my son in 98. It's like being electrocuted :frown: So sorry you are feeling this pain.

I too have struggled with this since the birth of my first son. Good luck, I know how painful (and debilitating) it can be. :ohwell:
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for you..I know the pain I have a herniated disc and I have that quite often..you can go on the internet and find some excerises..(I went to a PT and they gave me excercises to do). Be careful and I hope ou feel better soon.:)
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have recently been experiencing pain in my sciatic nerve. It's in my lower right leg and I really don't know what to do about it. I have had some lower back pain in the past that may have caused this pain. Does anyone know of any stretches that might be of use? I can take pain killers but I don't have to constantly take medicine for the pain to go away.

Thanks!
    KZ
    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/sciatica-exercises-sciatica-pain-relief
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I find a video I did explaining what stretch to do for the sciatic nerve pain. I'm a massage therapist btw. As soon as I'm done with my workout I'll send you the link.

I'd love to know how to ease my sciatic nerve pain; I have herniated discs. I hope you'll post the link for this stretch. I'd really appreciate it!
  • Jnholemam
    Options
    I am having the same problem and it runs down the front of my left leg. It really hinders you from doing any exercise. I would really like to know what to do about it as well. I had one in 2005 on my right leg. i would not wish this on anyone. :(
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    First and foremost, you need to be aware that sciatic pain can be caused by different factors, and only a doctor can tell you the exact source of the problem. The video I'm posting here it is based on my experience as a massage therapist and is not meant to be used or replace any prescription by a doctor. Therefore, if anyone do the following stretches is at their own risks.

With that said, the two factors I'll referring to that can cause sciatic pain are the piriformis syndrome (tightness of the piriformis muscle) and tightness of the lower back. When the piriformis gets tight, the sciatic nerve will be trapped between the muscle and the hip bone, irritating the nerve and causing the pain. Also when there's tightness on the lower back or there is any inflammation or any other condition of any disks of the spine in the lower back area, can cause sciatic pain as well.

So, katiezi this is a short video I had to do because I can't find the one I did at the clinic I used to work at. Sorry for the accent :bigsmile:

MountainMamaM, you mention herniated discs, so I would highly recommend to consult with your physician before trying any stretch, you don't want to hurt yourself since a doctor, knowing the level of your condition can give you the ok for any type of therapy/treatment. Just my advice.

Last but not least, you can also google or try youtube for more videos about sciatic pain, piriformis stretches and lower back stretches. Always be careful and pay attention to your body while performing any stretch... and if possible, warm up a little bit before doing them too.

This is my link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYOKqXJcDuM
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you have insurance that will cover it, I would recommend seeing a dr and getting an MRI. I had sciatic pain off and on for about 3 years, then suddenly it got a little bit worse, then one day a couple weeks later my whole lower back locked up and I was in excruciating pain. I had an MRI done and saw my disc had ruptured and was now compressing my sciatic nerve. Due to "life" happening, I was unable to do anything about it for 2 months. I got to the point where I couldn't even walk, I was wheelchair bound. I finally had surgery which relieved the pain, but since I'd waited so long with compression on my nerve, I now have nerve damage. It sucks! Oh, and my leg atrophied, so rebuilding the muscles in that leg, along with having numbness in my foot has been a pain.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Too bad you girls don't live close to Miami. I'd take care of that pain in 15 minutes with one of the pain management treatments I do :ohwell:
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have it bad...it gets a ton worse when I'm pregnant...which I am. I find yoga helps relieve some pain for me.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    May not be what you want to hear, but you could try a chiropractor. My sciatic pain woke me up almost every night/morning at 4 a.m. for about 4 months. I finally went to the chiro and it helped immediately. It only flares up once in a while now.
  • nire54
    nire54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have had sciatic nerve pain also. I found that the only thing that helped me was going to a phsiotherapist and having acupunture done on it. This really helped me. I also had surgery done on my back about 12 years ago. hope this helps.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I see a chiropractor that I started seeing when I was pregnant and had this issue. It now flares up once in a while when I'm training for a half marathon and run a lot on the roads (which are slanted). Normally one visit to the chiroprator clears it up, occasionally a second visit is needed if I let it get really bad before I go. Good luck!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've suffered chronic sciatic pain. Sometimes it's cause my lower back is tight, others because my but is.

90% of the time a good piriformis stretch will take care of it. It can be done with foam rollers, tennis balls. But I find that there are two I do that does the trick. The one with my leg under my body as here: piriformis.stretch.gif

The other is similar but done when on my back : piriformis_stretch.jpg
  • lynnstoll
    Options
    My physical therapist showed me something called the pretzel stretch. I have to virtually do it every day so I can walk without pain. I will be having surgery this summer after school is out. I have a fractured vertebrae. Also, the elliptical is the only equipment I can use. I am encouraged not to walk too much. Funny huh? Hope this helps.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Several have commented that it could be a back problem.
    Listen.
    I had the same thing, ignored it.
    Big mistake.
    Two back surgeries later, my right leg is essentially dead from the knee down.
    My disk had slipped and the only thing preventing vertebra-to-vertebra contact was the nerve that comes out of the spinal cord, runs by my right hip, and goes down my leg.
    The vertebrae above and below the slipped disk had literally chewed into the nerve and partially severed it.
    The doc gave me only a 10% chance of regenerating that nerve; I got zero despite 6 months of physical therapy, electro therapy, and lots of home exercises.
    Get it checked.
    Please.