Moms w/stretch marks who have lost the weight--Question!

Options
I've had two kids and have the stretch marked belly to prove it! (and butt and thighs too...*sigh*) This is only my second week of being serious about losing weight, and I'm already feeling discouraged that my belly will never look normal again thanks to saggy skin.
So I'm just wondering, for those of you moms who have lost the weight already...how did your tummies turn out?? I know stretch marks never go away, but were you left with loose skin or can you tone it up at all?? Thanks!

Replies

• tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks too! I hate them....but.....when I lost most of my post pregnancy weight they became lighter. They were really red at first and it made me so depressed!! But they eventually got lighter. Mederma has a stretch mark cream that I used and it helped to lighten them but there still there. Im thinking about getting a tummy tuck once I have my second child and get to my goal weight.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am have the same concern - my youngest child is 10 and I have quite a few stretch mark on mostly my stomach - a few on the upper thighs - I have had this hang up for years of "what is the point because my stomach will still be ugly ".... but I am trying to push beyond that and focus on getting healthy - I guess we will see in about 6 mos.
  • amoment
    amoment Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My son was very large and while i didn't put on tons of weight I carried all in the front and my stomach was a mess of stretch marks plus a ridge opened up between my abdominal walls (I had to have physiotherapy after my son was born for it).

My stomach looks alright now. I won't show it in public because of the number of stretch marks but it's not that saggy (just a little around the belly button). It's pretty flat (when you consider I've never had a truly flat stomach as genetically i carry a bit through the middle regardless of weight). So it looks the same as before I had my son aside from the plethora of stretch marks (which have faded to pretty well nothing now anyway)
  • imperfectbird
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, ladies! I guess I'm just worried I'm going to get down to my goal weight, but never get the flat stomach I'm longing for back! :sad:
    My kids are almost 5 and 2, so the stretch marks have definitely faded, but when I bend over I get the weird wrinkly skin, I'm thinking that's never going away unless I get a tummy tuck!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, ladies! I guess I'm just worried I'm going to get down to my goal weight, but never get the flat stomach I'm longing for back! :sad:
    My kids are almost 5 and 2, so the stretch marks have definitely faded, but when I bend over I get the weird wrinkly skin, I'm thinking that's never going away unless I get a tummy tuck!

Yeah, i am thinking the same thing for me too. 4 pregnancies with dang-big babies, and i have that nasty skin. At least it's all the same colour now, i remember when the stretch marks were all purpley...

So, i guess we start saving for that 8 grand we'll need for the tummy tuck!
  • tfritz13
    Options
    I just had a baby three months ago and am having the same issue minus the stretch marks. I'm also wondering if my belly will go back to the way it was. It does just look like loose skin. My muscles feel like they are slowly going back but am hoping that the skin will go back too.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Don't get depressed about it, because that can sabotage all your hard work.

None of us are going to be perfect, but we can aim for better. I know my tummy will never be the same (I've been too overweight for too long), but I can look damn good and that is enough.

good luck.

GG
  • angiereeves33
    Options
    I DO feel your pain. I had twins- each 7 lbs. So I was huge.

I have four kids altogether. We're DONE for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I DID have the tummy tuck. Actually, I had my muscles repaired and the tuck.
    My ab muscles had completely separated. It was so nasty.
    After working my butt off (literally) to get back to my goal weight, I had a consult with my dr. who said I would NEVER lose the belly on my own because the muscles were so damaged.

It was worth every penny. I feel so much better about myself. And I felt I deserved it, after all my body had been through. It wasn't like I was being lazy... just getting ME back in the only way I could.

I say, GO FOR IT .... IF you know you're done having kids. Doesn't make sense to do until then.

;)

Would be happy to talk more with you if you have more questions.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - honestly, in time, your skin WILL go back to where it was. I know after my C section with my son, my belly had a flap of skin I literally rolled up and tucked into my pants for a while. I thought at the time it would look like that forever, but with all the walking and running around you'll do with your kids, it does go back. I also used Palmer's Shea Butter on my tummy for the first year after I had my son and my stretchmarks are no longer there. That's my personal experience with using it anyway.
  • nichtvollschlank
    Options
    I have a 13 month old and I have tons of belly stretch marks. Over the course of 2011 I lost 70lbs (almost 100 since I was 9 months pregnant). When I started I was so afraid that my stomach would never go back--but it's pretty darn flat now. There is a very little bit of sagginess left but I'm thinking (1)that has more to do with how much excess weight I had on me and (2)even that will resolve with time, I'm still pretty close to having my son.
    Hope this helps! Human skin is ingenius , do what you gotta do and hopefully physiology will take care of itself!! Good luck!
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a 13 month old and I have tons of belly stretch marks. Over the course of 2011 I lost 70lbs (almost 100 since I was 9 months pregnant). When I started I was so afraid that my stomach would never go back--but it's pretty darn flat now. There is a very little bit of sagginess left but I'm thinking (1)that has more to do with how much excess weight I had on me and (2)even that will resolve with time, I'm still pretty close to having my son.
    Hope this helps! Human skin is ingenius , do what you gotta do and hopefully physiology will take care of itself!! Good luck!

Wow 70lb lost and the skin went back eventually - well done and you've given me hope!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I still have a ton of stretch marks and I have a fairly small amount loose skin, but I've heard that it can take a year or two for the skin to "bounce back" so only time will tell if the loose skin issue ever totally goes away. Even if it doesn't, I am healthy and happy and fit and strong - the only things that matter anyway.
    To help improve your chances of coming out on top, moisturize, hydrate, exercise (including strength training), and hope for the best.
  • Misty_Cathey
    Misty_Cathey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I have lost weight in the past I have not had any luck with my stretch marks ! Good luck to you!
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I'm pretty much the same - 2 children, one is 5 and the other 3 and my stretch marks are all faded. I'm pretty much at goal weight (shark week is approaching so I'm a little higher right now) and I have the lose skin around my belly like you describe. It is fine when I stand up and my belly is fairly flat at this point but when I bend over it gets really saggy.

It *is* better than it used to be and I've just started doing some pilates and yoga and I'm hoping that working on toning the area will help out some. I'm also hoping that more time spent maintaining this weight/size will help my skin shrink back as well.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I've never been pregnant but I have horrible dark purple/red stretch marks on my stomach and breasts due to the weight I've gained throughout college. I know I can lose the weight, but I'm worried the stretch marks will never go away and I'll never be able to wear a bikini again.
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    photo2.jpg

This is me 20 months post pregnancy. Baby girl was 9.2 and my tummy was huge through pregnancy! I have just posted a topic showing my pregnant tummy at 36weeks. My stretch marks initially were deep purple but are now silver-white, because of my fair skin they are harder to see but the are very much there!! I used bio-oil and several other creams to help reduce the stretch marks and also took collagen tablets which help with the repairing process.

Not sure if the pic is useful or not....
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    My Babies are going on 6 and 4, and I have horrible stretch marks and the loose skin on my belly! It drives me nuts! I used the mederma for stretch marks for a while and it did help lighten them up, but they are still there and I hate them! I am back to my pre babies weight and trying to loose another 10 to get to my wedding weight, but I'm in the same boat as you. I don't think it is ever going to go away without a tummy tuck, and it drives me crazy! I just got to the point this summer where I will wear a bikini again, but not in public! Only in my moms back yard pool. The dang loose skin bugs me more than the stretch marks I think!
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I have had 3 babies, now 7, 4 and 1. I decided I was over my tummy and wanted to do something about it, so for the last 65 days I have exercised daily and logged my food on here. I have stretchmarks, as you will see from the pics. I have found they have faded a bit with the muscles firming up and the fat being lost. I still have a way to go with pot belly and hips, but don't think it's impossible to firm back up again :)

4weeksdiff-1-1.jpg

and today

IMG_0384-2.jpg

nice whopper one on top of belly button thanks to it being pierced a million years ago lol
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    All you ladies who have posted pics. look wonderful...

Sadly the "pouch" you have showed is nothing like mine. Mine will truly not go away with any form of exercise. My oldest did major damage to my stomach. As soon as I had her the dr told me I would have to have a tummy tuck to have it fixed. I was 140lbs then. I am now 194. I say that in the nicest way possible...

I am and will be getting a tummy tuck once I hit my goal weight and keep it maintained for a year. I don't care about the stretch marks. I do hate my stomach. I will not post pics of my nasty tummy. Sorry, it's just that gross.
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My son is almost 7 now, and although my stretch marks on my tummy have faded I still have that extra skin. I'm 130 right now, and hope to be about 120, but I have a feel I won't be able to do much about my stomach. I was about 115 when my son was 1 years old and I still had my little pooch. I'm hoping to tone up lots once I get to my goal weight (doing some toning now), but I don't think my stomach will be as lovely as the ladies who posted pictures up here of their stomachs!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!