Eating Late!

Options
So I am in need of help! Every night around 10:30 I get the munchies even though I have done really good all day long. I keep telling myself that I did really good today, you don't want to ruin what you have accomplished today. And yet I go to the fridge and snack on a piece of pizza or a piece of candy.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas that have helped you cut out the late night eating?

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• JerryLDaniel
    Options
    When I get the munchies late at night like that I drink a small glass of water or milk. Not too much though so you're not up all night going to the bathroom. :)
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier? :)

You could always drink some water. Sometimes that'll satisfy you long enough. Or try and have some healthier snacks around. Use those to munch on instead of pizza and candy.

I also heard from Dr. Oz (take that however you want) that if you sniff vanilla extract it will satisfy your sweet tooth. I have yet to try that out.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner later?
  • ulejas
    ulejas Posts: 4
    Options
    Have a apple, carrots or something healthy. Don't eat late that's not a real good idea.
  • ajvet4pet
    Options
    How about getting rid of the pizza and candy in the house. Get some carrot sticks instead. Try a cup of tea and two small cookies. Also I have found if I drink a big glass of water somehow the hunger is curbed a little. Good luck this is hard.:smooched: :flowerforyou:
  • MaynardLD50
    MaynardLD50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about eating later. A calorie at 10:30pm is a calorie at 4pm is a calorie at 7am. Now if you're eating pizza and candy I don't care what time it is you're derailing :) Drink 10oz of water real fast and you'll get rid of that snack crave REAL FAST :) You can do this, I believe in you and if I can do it you can do it. I used to eat about 70% of my calories at night snacking. Actually I just thought of this as I was typing, buy some Casein Protein from Optimum Nutrition. It's a sweet protein shake you can make, it's 80% milk protein and it makes you feel nice and full. This will also count as your sweet treat because there are so many flavors to choose from.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If I get munchies, I try to just make a cup of herbal tea, add some splenda, and drink that. It helps my sweet tooth AND gets me ready for bed!
  • Tohnmeister
    Options
    Get rid of all the extra food. Losing weight is a tough job, so sure you'll be want to snack late at night. Not having it available, makes things a lot easier. You won't be in this constant fight with yourself.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner later?

^^^^yes this, eat later and have a filling snack after, i eat dinner at 6:30-7 most nights, i have my cottage cheese doubles at 8-8:30 and then off to bed i go at 9:30- 10 works for me and i am a munchie queen lol.
  • kkphoto
    Options
    Thank you! I have a long road ahead of me, and am so glad that I found this website. Again thank you for all of your support!:smile:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I know I will get the munchies so I just plan to have calories left for it. Eating late is not as horrible as most think. In fact here is a link for some healthy ideas that also help you sleep http://www.livestrong.com/article/304762-healthy-foods-to-eat-at-night/
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My first thought was, are you eating enough throughout the day? If not, maybe add some protein at night. For me, I've found flossing & brushing my teeth signals my brain that it's the end of the eating day. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just plan your day so you have some calories left for late at night. There is nothing wrong with eating late.
  • ru4hope
    Options
    IF you don't want fruit or veggies, I find that animal crackers for sweet or pretzels for salt are calorie friendly and satisfying. I work shift work, 12hrs at a time, and I agree that a calorie at 10am is equal to 10pm. Just get rid of the craving. 15 animal crackers per serving or 5 pretzels, approx 140 calories...
  • PenguinPrincess
    Options
    You could try eating like sugar free jello or something of that sort, it will give you something to munch on and there are little to no calories in it.
  • nwhitney01
    nwhitney01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think I just like to eat at night and always have. I think what I need to do is to make better choices when I do eat at night. Carrots are always good and so is popcorn.
  • nwhitney01
    nwhitney01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just joined and I am looking for support .
  • twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to have this same problem. But what I found worked for me was making sure to drink extra water throughout the day with after meals and in between meals. I usually eat dinner between 6 and 7:30, and then I cut myself off. It's hard disciplining yourself to adjust to a drastic change, but once I made it through the first 2 nights of not eating after that particular time, it got easier to not want to go into the kitchen, because I was full, tired, and I'd gotten used to not eating late.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've been having a cup of really good decaf tea every night around 9 pm. It's all but stopped me from snacking.
  • Bsnell10
    Options
    You need to eat more FIBER and drink more water!!! It will help satisfy you thru out the day and keep the munchies from coming late at night... I was a late evening snacker before bed but once i changed my diet and started eating more fiber for other reasons i reaized i was too full to eat anything. Sometimes it isn't really food that you are wanting it could be cause you aren 't getting enough water they say 8 8oz glasses a day i do 10-14 oz a day more with intense workouts. hope this helps