HELP PLEASE! Need Alternative to Birthday Cake

Options
2»

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Make one... or better yet, let your hubby make it. :-) Here's a great recipe and for only 175 calories a slice, it's the bomb!

Dark Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe (from Cooking Light, Nov 2005)

Ingredients

Cooking spray
    3/4 cup powdered sugar
    3 large eggs
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
    1 tablespoon Triple Sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
    1 tablespoon hot water
    Dash of salt
    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    Powdered sugar (optional)
    Orange rind strips (optional)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with parchment or wax paper. Wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil.

Place 3/4 cup sugar and eggs in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 7 minutes.

Combine cornstarch and cocoa in a small bowl; set aside. Place juice, liqueur, water, salt, and chocolate in a small glass bowl; microwave at high 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture; whisk until smooth.

Gently stir one-fourth of egg mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold into remaining egg mixture. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Place pan in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to larger pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or until top is set. Remove cake pan from water; cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula; cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with powdered sugar and rind just before serving, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving

Calories: 175 (1/6 of cake)
    Calories from fat: 31%
    Fat: 6.1g
    Protein: 4.3g
    Carbohydrate: 26.1g
    Fiber: 1.7g
    Sodium: 33mg

If I had bittersweet chocolate I would make this right now! it sounds so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe I'm copying it for later.

I was going to tell the OP to make an angel food cake. Cut it into slices and freeze what you don't use. Chocolate angel food is delicious with fresh strawberries!
  • ghostwor1d
    ghostwor1d Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When the dessert blues get me down and I feel I just have to get my cake on, I always turn to the magical can of pumpkin.

Buy a box cake mix, add a can of pumpkin to it, stir and bake. Don't add the oil, eggs, butter or water; just the pumpkin. It turns out slightly denser than a cake and lighter than a brownie. My favorite box mix to use with the pumpkin is chocolate. It tastes great, counts as a serving of veggies and soothes the sweet beast.

Top it off with a dab of fat free cool whip or a very light sprinkling of powdered sugar instead of frosting, add a candle and celebrate another year of being older, wiser and healthier.

Happy Birthday!

I love doing this too! But my favorite is spice cake mix and a can of (pure) pumpkin. I make the small cupcakes (don't use paper...just grease the pan and spoon the mixture in). Then cook for about 10-ish minutes. Dust them with a little powdered sugar....yum!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am SO trying the pumpkin/cake thing, and maybe the diet soda thing too.

I don't even really like cake, but I do like brownies....something with a texture in between sounds great! (And I have a can of pumpkin hanging out in the cupboard right now...hmm....)